Some custom work going on in the "Matt-Cave" :~)

More data;

The trike pulls 2,000 watts to cruise at 40mph. That seems kind of high. It is over 6 times the power to double the speed. I was expecting more like 1,600 or so.

Anyway, I did some mixed riding today. I throttled it hard a few times, cruised a bit, pedaled a very small amount, cruised at high speed for a while, etc. That ride averaged 30wh per mile. That was exactly what I expected.

So, a low of 20wh per mile at 20mph, and a high of 65wh per mile at 40mph, with an overall average for general driving around without thinking about it of 30wh per mile.

Matt

Oh, I have a correction. The mixed riding session was not 30wh per mile, it was 22.5wh per mile. Apparently the data in my logger was not erased from my last session. According to my charger (when I recharged my pack and checked the AH that went in), it was 22.5wh per mile.

So, apparently, this thing love being ridden in every way, other than full throttle for long durations. Though the dyno sheet I have here shows it is efficient up to 4kw (94.5% efficient). But, the rolling resistance and wind drag are huge at 40mph.

Matt

recumpence said:
22.5wh per mile
Very nice figures, and an even better build

recumpence said:
So, apparently, this thing love being ridden in every way, other than full throttle for long durations. Though the dyno sheet I have here shows it is efficient up to 4kw (94.5% efficient).

Could you share the dyno data. I would love to see what the motor efficiency does at various speeds and loads.

- Adrian

I have the sheet in my hand. This 3220 4 turn wye is 94.5% efficient from 1,800 watts up to nearly 3,000 watts. Then it drops off slightly to 4,000 watts. It is still over 88% efficient up to 6kw. That is at 48 volts and roughly 8,000 RPM on the average. At 4,000 watts (7,880 rpm), it is 630 oz/inch torque.

Matt

Nice. At the risk of going further off topic, don't suppose you have data at different voltages. I am interested in the efficiency vs speed at various voltages (or throttle PWM for a given voltage) specifically at low RPM. Or is the trend the same and I can just interpolate down for lower voltages.

adrian_sm said:
Nice. At the risk of going further off topic, don't suppose you have data at different voltages. I am interested in the efficiency vs speed at various voltages (or throttle PWM for a given voltage) specifically at low RPM. Or is the trend the same and I can just interpolate down for lower voltages.

No I don't. Astro only provides data for 12S (or at least Bob did).

I can tell you the sweet spot for these motors is 7,500 RPM.

Matt

I just got in from another ride. This ride was a true mix. I did a bit of hard pedaling, alot of cruising, and about 5 minutes of beat-the-crap-out-of-it, hell bent insanity showing off to some friends. I was cornering so hard that, even though I was leaning into the corner as far as I could, it was lifting the inside wheel pretty frequently. That and 8.5kw corner exits in a tight neighborhood made for some fun. Nothing broke and I am waiting to see what my efficiency numbers are. This ride was pretty much the worse case scenario. This is what I would expect from my typical ride on a vehicle like this.

Oh, I also calculated my cost to operate. At our current cost of $.076 per KWH, and gas at $4.20 per gallon, that equates to 2,940 miles per gallon compared to 20wh per mile. :mrgreen:

Of course, it would take alot of miles to pay for my lipo in gas savings. That and the fact that I do not use my bikes for transportation. They are for fun only.........

But, hey, it sure is cheaper than a Vette!

Matt

Matt,

What do you figure that motor's efficiency is when cruising at 20mph up and down moderate hills? Just a guess would do. All the videos i see of you on that you are going balls out...how does it behave if you limiting behavior to max 25mph?

When cruising at lower speeds is there a big difference between efficiency of the 3220 and say the 3210?

Do you offer any kind of toggle switch where you get to pick between different operating modes...ie... economy, fast, or insane?

Thanks again for what you are doing...truly ground breaking to make this awesome motor so usable at an ebike level.

recumpence said:
I have the sheet in my hand. This 3220 4 turn wye is 94.5% efficient from 1,800 watts up to nearly 3,000 watts. Then it drops off slightly to 4,000 watts. It is still over 88% efficient up to 6kw. That is at 48 volts and roughly 8,000 RPM on the average. At 4,000 watts (7,880 rpm), it is 630 oz/inch torque.

Matt

That 630 oz-in torque figure at 4kw really rocks! My (brushed) motor is good for just about 200 oz-in for short periods.

I have found this thing to really be stable on the Wh per mile. I can pretty much ride is (drive it?) however I want and not think about it. The worst entire ride I have had (5.4 miles) in efficiency was 31 WH per mile and that was being beat really harsh for 1/3 of the ride. 20wh per mile is relatively consistent for general riding.

I am in love.........

Matt

The last couple niggling issues with the trike are cured.

The front spokes kept breaking with extremely hard cornering and braking. new 13 guage spokes (up from 14 guage) cured that. Also, the front brake rotors would sing when braking. Soft compound ceramic pads cured that. So, all seems well with the trike at this point (other than a few minor little sounds it makes here and there. The drive is so quiet, any tiny sound becomes noticeable, such as spokes pinging every now and then, brake rotor scrub, etc).

My last ride was 18.5 wh per mile with no pedaling.

Matt

Hey Guys,

I figured out a couple more details on the HV160........

I have had a couple times when the controller shut down and gave a "Stuck Prop" error flash. This occurs at very low RPM if the throttle is opened briskly on high power setups. I went into the controller programming and reset the motor timing from 5 (medium) to low (#2). This cured the controller shut downs. If I try hard, I can get the motor to stutter a tiny bit when it used to shut down (again, at very low RPM and low throttle, then hitting the throttle). I also set the throttle response to #4. This softens the hit just a touch and helps even more.

Just some added info for you guys running these systems.

Matt

Hi Matt. Back in the Day, when you first started the KMX Trike build, you had mulled over making it an All-Wheel Drive trike. Could you talk about your concept for that, and how it might be implemented? Advantages, Disadvantages?

Enjoying the Build, and fun to watch the progress at the edge of RC/ebike technology. 8)

Cheers!

That would have been a motor at each wheel. The reason for it was to increase acceleration and reduce drifting around corners. However, I did some research and found that differential driving forces in the front wheels could make it extremely hazardous to drive. So, I scrapped that idea. It has plenty of power as is. :)

Also, I reset my controller for low timing advance and am now seeing 17wh per mile at 20mph!

Matt

I'd love to see the pictures, but I get errors on each one. did something go wrong with this page?

ponobill said:
I'd love to see the pictures, but I get errors on each one. did something go wrong with this page?

Yes the forum went through an "upgrade" and a lot of pictures hosted on the ES server
were lost as a result, was meant to be fixed but obviously still hasn't :cry:

KiM

Question for Matt:

I'm considering doing a similar build, so I'd like to modify one of my KMX trikes accordingly. Are you happy with the amount of wheelbase and track-width that you've added? Would you have added more wheelbase? I want to be able to cruise downhill at about 50mph and taking corners really hard with ideal stability, and I'm not too concerned about turning radius. I'm going with 20 inch front wheels, but the frame will be lowered 2 inches in the front to compensate.

Thanks in advance!

-Jeremy
Oslo, Norway

With 20 inch wheels, you will gain stability at speed.

Yes, I am extremely happy with the frame mods as they are.

You will definately NEED a steering damper!

Matt

recumpence said:

Matt

It's good to see you post my friend. Your previous post in this thread was from may 2011! You've gotta have some fresh pics of exciting stuff to show us by now. :)

Hi Matt and Friends,

I have had some off/list correspondence with Matt regarding use of his V4 drive with a small Astro motor on my old Greenspeed GTR. My intention is only to:
- add some assist, particularly when keeping up with traffic
- provide some extra 'oomph' on hills.

I am not particularly interested in speed per se and would be quite happy with a max (no pedaling) of 32km/h (20mp/h). I don't plan on not pedaling and indeed, would fit a CA/cadence-sensing BB if it works with the Astro set up. I am very attracted to the V4's compact size and relative simplicity. However I'm still at a 'thinking about it' stage, mainly I guess because I haven't had an opportunity to see it or try it out and nearly all of the discussion I've found seems to focus on it's 'speedier' characteristics rather than it's capacity to assist in every-day cycling situations, lower speed 'pedal assist' hill climbing and negotiating traffic.

I'd be very interested in reading comments from users regarding 'real world' experiences in such situations. I'd also appreciate it if someone could point me to a discussion of efficiency issues vis a vis hub motors and a drive like Matt's.

thanks, Savvas (Adelaide).

liveforphysics said:
recumpence said:

Matt

It's good to see you post my friend. Your previous post in this thread was from may 2011! You've gotta have some fresh pics of exciting stuff to show us by now. :)

It is good to correspond with you as well, my friend. Much has been going on. I have several HUGE jobs going on right now and my primary appliance repair business is super busy.

Other than finishing some large customer orders, I am in the parts ordering stage of my next trike build. It is the tried and true KMX platform with one of the huge Astro 4535 motors and their controller. This will be powered by Enerdel cells (96 volts, 33ah). I have custom wheels coming for it as well. This setup (according to the engineers at Astro) is capable of well over 50,000 watts peak, 30,000 watts for 3 minutes, and 15,000 watts continuous. We shall see.......

Anyway, this will be a 125 pound trike that should hit 60mph in 3 seconds if I can get it to hook. Maybe I will go with a super wide Harley chopper rear wheel and tire......

Matt

samsavvas said:
Hi Matt and Friends,

I have had some off/list correspondence with Matt regarding use of his V4 drive with a small Astro motor on my old Greenspeed GTR. My intention is only to:
- add some assist, particularly when keeping up with traffic
- provide some extra 'oomph' on hills.

I am not particularly interested in speed per se and would be quite happy with a max (no pedaling) of 32km/h (20mp/h). I don't plan on not pedaling and indeed, would fit a CA/cadence-sensing BB if it works with the Astro set up. I am very attracted to the V4's compact size and relative simplicity. However I'm still at a 'thinking about it' stage, mainly I guess because I haven't had an opportunity to see it or try it out and nearly all of the discussion I've found seems to focus on it's 'speedier' characteristics rather than it's capacity to assist in every-day cycling situations, lower speed 'pedal assist' hill climbing and negotiating traffic.

I'd be very interested in reading comments from users regarding 'real world' experiences in such situations. I'd also appreciate it if someone could point me to a discussion of efficiency issues vis a vis hub motors and a drive like Matt's.

thanks, Savvas (Adelaide).

I might be closer to your situation than most others although I am using a thumb throttle rather than a torque or speed sensor on the cranks. I do have a relatively tame setup - mainly by virtue of selecting a motor with a lower Kv. My goal was after a less "frantic" setup with lower RPM and quieter operation in lieu of maximum power. The quieter operation comes mainly from lower belt and chain speeds.

I also always pedal. I am also powering a trike - in my case an ICE QNT which was previously assisted by an eZee hub motor.

Powering with one of these 32XX series Astro motors is significantly different from using a hub motor. These motors act much more like 'ideal' DC PM electric motors in that they slow down much less and deliver more power under load (with a corresponding increase in current). Combined with a sensorless hobby controller that is designed more for high loads only at high RPM it is indeed less conducive to a 'light assist' application than a hub motor.

But...

Efficiency of the motor is far superior. I can't do anything that gets the little Astro motor hot in my relatively tame setup, yet it has way more hill-climbing power. Generally gearing these setups for only 32km/h will provide oodles of hill climbing torque. I'm probably near only 10% inefficient with the motor climbing a 10% grade. With a hub motor, it could be 3 to 10X more inefficient, the latter occurring under a complete stall condition. So despite going much faster overall - especially up hills, I don't use any more energy from the battery on my standard routes.

Flexibility of gearing is another advantage. Prefer more speed or more hill climbing torque? Just change the ratios.

There are pros and cons for sure as indicated above.

I might suggest a 10-turn 3210 with a drive ratio of 14:1 to 16:1 if you have a 20" rear wheel. This will get you very close to where you want to be speedwise whilst maintaining a relatively calm and quiet system.

I ride with someone who is planning to outfit his trike with a similar setup to mine. Matt - do you have V4 Drive parts in stock? Expect a call or email from Bill about this soon. ;)

Back