Spoke hole diameter questions

1N4001

100 W
Hi,

I've got two questions.

1. What's the spoke hole diameter on the Cute motors, specifically the Q128C?

Mine hasn't arrived yet, so I cannot measure myself. For the Q100, Edd states 2.5mm, but this post states 3mm. Of course it isn't necessarily the same for the Q128 anyway.

2. How much of an issue are spoke holes that are much larger than the spokes? I'll be using 2.0mm (14g) spokes.

Sapim recommends the difference not being too large here (p.3). And there are brass spoke washers for the exact purpose of solving this problem.

However, almost nobody is using these and they seem fine nonetheless. The shop which will be lacing the wheel does not have or use them either. So I'm wondering if it'll be fine regardless.

Thanks a lot!

I had a similar issue with the xiongda YTW-06. Spoke holes where somewhere between 2.5 and 3mm. I first tried 14G spokes, but one head nearly broke through the hole while tensioning. So I put stainless steel 2mm washers (you can get them very cheap in online hardware shops). Worked, but looked strange, and ended up cutting into the hub flange (probably because it was steel and not brass). In the end, I went for sapim strong spokes. Cost me twice as much as standart 14G spokes, but the least I could say is that they are indeed strong: I put nearly twice the usual tension on them.

Back