Lacing 13G spokes into 8G/9G/10G spoke hole

Teh Stork

1 kW
Hi,

Long story short.
Bought motorcycle style motor, custom made. Spoke holes are Ø4,2mm in diameter. Going to lace in bicycle rim. Ordered to length 13G spokes.

I want to do this somewhat the right way.

Problems:
1. Spoke hole too big, nipple falls through
2. Spoke "neck" too short in comparison to hub flange thickness.

Identified solutions:

Easy way. Brass washers to keep the spoke in the hole. Absolutely fixes problem 1. But what about problem 2?

Hard way. Lathe away some of the hub flange to make suitable thickness. Brass washers to keep the spoke in the hole. Fixes both problem 1 and problem 2.

Hard way 2. Drill new ~2,6mm holes in hub flange. Use oversize drill to thin section down to suit spoke neck length. Solves problem 1. Solves problem 2.

I've added some photos to illustrate.
IMG_20160511_183827.jpg
View attachment 2
IMG_20160511_183736.jpg
IMG_20160511_183744.jpg

Washers on the hub flange, thats what I did with my MXUS 3kw v2 motor on a downhill rim from ebikes.ca.
I bought some regular washers from a place called The Bolt Supply House, but your regular Home Depot washers would work too. I would try to find some thick washers that are strong, my washers have a curve to them now. And I didnt ride it that long either. Maybe 250km.

If the washers have a curve now, and didn't when you started riding, then you should retension the wheel, because it means the spokes are now looser than they were before the washers curved.

Drilled new holes, want to have a solution that lasts. One down, one to go :twisted:

IMG_20160512_183914.jpg

amberwolf said:
If the washers have a curve now, and didn't when you started riding, then you should retension the wheel, because it means the spokes are now looser than they were before the washers curved.

You are correct the wheel did come out of alignment, but only after wiping out and snapping a spoke or 2 on the MXUS 3KW V2 (4T) motor to Crystalyte DH rim from Grin Tech ebikes.ca. But I had the exact same problem as the OP, the hub flange spoke holes were huge, ~4mm I believe and the spokes head didnt overlap much. I think I might find me a 3T in the MXUS, maybe a V4 if the price is right. Just want a 3T I dont care about the double halls or curved magnets.

I did buy some washers from an online bicycle shop that had curves in them. Or cups or whatever the term is. Spinningmagnets wrote an article on washers too, how you can use tool (forget the name of it off hand), and curve your own. I believe the artle was with the MC rim article. I will find it now for you and post it up. Yes it should be in here;
https://www.electricbike.com/moped-rims-tires-hubmotors/
Just above the half way mark, picture of a red rim.

next best option is to add stainless steel washers to Holmes Moped 6mm nipples. This allows you to fit the affordable Sapim stainless steel 12ga spokes that are recommended into the 8mm holes found on common 1.6-inch wide moped rims.

You will need to dish these washers into a shallow bowl shape, which is easily done with a cheap 3/8-inch hydraulic tubing flare tool. Standard 12ga bicycle nipples will require washers when used on any moped rims. Common 12ga nipples have a 4.6mm body, and a 5mm washer works well. For Holmes moped nipples (6mm 10ga body with a 12ga hole), an SAE #12 washer has a 6.4mm ID.

I've been contimplating doing this, but the tool itself is just more money.

Drill baby Drill!! you will be happy with the results. use a scribe to mark the center point from both other holes and you will have an x. hit it with a center punch and your good to go. countersink if your picky, im not . :mrgreen:

Back