Stealth Clone -- Looking for rear rack solution

JMark

1 µW
Hello folks!

I built a stealth bomber clone out of one of the voliamart frames. Sabvaton controller,72v 20AH battery, Qsmotor 3000 5t.

Having one issue --
Looking for some sort of rear rack solution -- can't do seat post clamp-on as i've got the seat post all the way down.

Thoughts?

PXL_20211002_164419210-me.jpg

PXL_20211002_142844723-me.jpg

The problem with a lot of off-the-shelf solutions is that defined one that would actually work involve sometimes buying multiple items and trying them out. The fact there is a swingarm rather than a fixed chain stay would make it difficult to connect support struts to the bottom so the seat post style may be the only decent option. If you want to get creative, perhaps you could get a longer seat post and leave the bottom protruding an inch or two, Clamp to that and try to make some sort of bracket that raises the height up so it clears the rear wheel, almost like the reverse of a drop-down trailer hitch.

Manbeer has got it right if you want to go that route, an extra long seat post for a seat post rack.
Or mount to the seat frame with holes in it
Think about the top of the shock mount what you can do with that as a mounting mount.

Or you can utilize both the swing arm and seat stay or other mounting spot, with a hinged rear rack, so the rack moves with the flex of the swing arm.

What do you want to place on the rear rack?

Usual stuff is run of the mill gear that i carry. This bike is setup as a fishing machine, so there's usually a tackle bag and rod holder attached. (11' surf rod).

Sometimes i'll (5mph walk speed ) carry a jerry can of water to my camper and reguarly carry a 2 gallon jerry can of gas for a few miles if i need to refill the generator.

In addition, once i have a good rack, i want to put another 20AH battery on the rear rack, bringing my range to a stunning 40ah capacity.

Right now a 10 mile ride around 30-35mph brings me to 75% capacity (According to the battery meter i installed, no clue how accurate that is)

Probably not suitable for you, but a Thule pack n pedal tour rack will fit on the front forks.

I’ve tried to get it to fit a rear swing arm and to date have failed with it there so I have had to go with a topeak beam rack from the seat post.

JMark said:
Sometimes i'll (5mph walk speed ) carry a jerry can of water to my camper and reguarly carry a 2 gallon jerry can of gas for a few miles if i need to refill the generator.
Two gallons gasoline is in the neighborhood of 15 lbs. + the weight of the can. That's pushing the limits of a rack cantilevered out from the seatpost.

Maybe you can fab something attached to the louvers at the base of the seatpost and also near the BB? That would have at least some additional triangulated support.

Well, unless your legs are really that short, I'd raise the seat just enough to clamp on a seat post rack.

Then add two braces to it, back to the bottom of the seat post itself, or the frame that holds the seat post tube. This creates a strong triangle to support more weight on the rack without breaking the post. This pic sort of shows what I mean by bracing the seat post rack. 500w grd dirt bike..JPG

Or, weld on what you need to, to bolt a stock steel rack onto the frame. I mean two tubes that would stick out the back, similar to normal bike upper chain stays. Then bring the rear supports down to another added piece near the bottom of the seat tube. Steel so you can weld it all up solid.

Last suggestion, bolt metal flat sheet metal to the seat post tube support, then fabricate a rack from there. It could be cut with a simple tool, then everything else is bolt on.

Back