Stromer: anyone upgrade their bike from an Elite to Platinum

Biggsie

1 µW
Got a Stromer ST1 Elite and I'm loving it. After commuting on it for a month (16 miles each way), I'm wishing I had the Platinum motor. I have all the codes maxed out which means I very easily get up to ~20mph. Beyond that, the motor drops off dramatically and it makes no sense to pedal to try to make it go faster.

Would prefer the Platinum where I could back off the boost a bit but get that important boost above 20mph.

Anyone performed any mods to achieve this? Seems like buying a new bike is on the only reasonable option as I believe I would need to swap both motor and control panel.

Thank you!

PS. Also considering sell my motor, control panel and battery and swapping in a Bafang setup. The Stromer frame is an awesome platform for an ebike build!

Hello and welcome

I have a platinum and I like it a lot. I've changed the setting for sensitivity with the 1004 code, that helped for sure. Also the boost mode speed with 3775. Which codes have you maxed out ??

I looked at stromerbike.com at the tech specs and it seems the elite was available with both motors and different chain rings, do you have the 42 tooth ?

There might be a code that governs your top speed but I'm not sure. There is another code that I saw somewhere online and if I find it again I will come back and try to edit my post. this code might have been for overall top speed or it might have been for models with hand throttles like some older stromers or euro models, the description was in German so I'm not sure. Since I have the torque sensor only I didn't want to change it.

I understand your wanting to go faster and I think it might be nice too but I think if I'm going to go faster it should be on a bike based on a full suspension frame.

Thanks mrDS. Here are the codes for the ST1: http://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/stromer-st1-codes.1521/

I've maxed out the ones in bold. Do you know of any others? I still get one bar of pedal assist above 20mph but I'd like a little more. I agree that full suspension could definitely be the future for ebikes but I come from a hard core bike riding background and I love the simplicity of a stiff aluminum frame, stiff carbon fork and high volume tires. With full suspension I think it becomes a slippery slope towards something like http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/

Either way, a very exciting time to be riding an ebike!

Cheers!

Biggsie

I believe the 3773 was the one I was hesitant to change. The list you linked to is pretty much the same codes I saw on the German site. The only other codes I have seen were pretty minor, such as altering the level of contrast on the display. One to change the speed of 'move' mode from 1, 2, or 3. Default is 2 so it only alters the walking speed by about one mph. And another one that allows you to enter any value you want as the odometer reading, I just got a new chain today so I may set the odometer back to zero until I need tires or something :)

If the little battery in the dash is dead the display only powers up from the main battery, then if you ride till the LVC the bike powers down and you can lose the data from your trip like avg. mph and time ridden.

There doesn't seem to be many stromers on ES, and in 2 years here in Milwaukee I have seen just three other e-bikes out riding, kinda a bummer LOL.

- DS

Please someone tell me how I can get my elite to go faster.
I've up'd every code posted and there has to be more.

Any reason not to just controller swap it?

Throw a grinfinion in there, and you'll be capable of accessing everything the motor/battery can offer with respect to performance.

Do you happen to know if this controller is plug n play with the Stromer ST1 OEM controller?

gmaiella said:
Do you happen to know if this controller is plug n play with the Stromer ST1 OEM controller?

I dunno, Ive never done a plug-n-play build.

I would guess its strongly unlikely to plug in, and would likely require some wiring and figuring out the bikes setup.

Sorry for being sarcastic, more volts = more speed, but also means most likely need a new controller.
Which is what I thought, but was trying to be facetious.

Look, you can do whatever the Platinum options are, on your Elite, find out what the differences are, and do a solid, quality upgrade.
Meaning: Dont buy the Stromer options, go ahead and buy a Infineon Controller from Grin or Lyen, one that you can program. Or a cheaper option, buy a Greentime Controller. Then buy a Cycle Analyst from Grin as well. Then when you smoke your Stromer motor, go ahead and buy a 9C d.d. or a MAC geared and some Torque Arms. THEN You'd have a solid strong ebike, on what I assume is a steel frame.

The difference between an elite and a platinum is the bike components - gears cranks derailleurs. Everything else is the same. At least on the European versions.

Maybe you mean you want a Power 48 motor instead of a Mountain 33?

Yes, good point, I was considering swapping to the Power 48 motor and selling my Mountain 33.
The earlier more volts response starting me thinking that I should dump the Stromer motors/controllers.
Use both of my Stromer 36V/14.5 amp/he batteries together and start my upgrade at 72 volts.

I am curious about electric rider as a controller and motor supplier.

Http://www.electricrider.com/ProductDetails_Popup.asp?ProductCode=x-ct7240f

7240 72V 40A 2880W 45mph 37mph
The Crystalyte Phoenix II 7240 is the most powerful system available, and has been for years. This is for the serious commuter, thrill seeker, or one who needs to pull an awful lot of weight. It's high voltage and and current offer serious torque and speed, over 45 mph with the Cruiser and about 40 mph with the Brute! Even if you don't use the Phoenix II 7240 system at full throttle, your range will be that much greater. If you want serious power, you've got it!

Back