Sturgis Bullet rear rack/mudflap/battery hauler

I started here:http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/333222408586/1190/Axiom-Fatliner-FatBike-Rear.html. But quickly realized that a modification was needed unless I wanted it a foot above the tire, so I chopped it down and fabbed a sort of cantilevered load bracket out of some 4130 sheet CM I had laying around. Stainless pop rivets and a AN-3 bolt (aviation lingo for a 3/16" bolt) through the gusset along with the bracket actually bearing on the top of the chain stay make it plenty strong. The rack just didn't work as it came with the available threaded bushings on the Bullet frame

The EPDM mudflap (the same stuff commercial buildings use for new roof membranes nowadays, any construction site will have large scraps in the dumpster :D ) took about 5 minutes to cut and zip tie into place. I left it a little long at the rear just because I like the look....and can always cut it off if I change my mind. The first operational use was heading up to the ski area while carrying my snowboard, half the route uphill (hell it's ALL uphill) through a field that's pretty bumpy and rough, it worked great.

My next move is to play around with my two spare 11.6 AH battery packs, and come up with a way to carry them on the sides of the rack down low. I'd like to have the weight (13 lbs total) further forward but really have no other place. On top the rack is too high. While I typed this I came to the realization that the easiest way to do this would be to get some panniers like these::http://www.lightinthebox.com/600d-pvc-waterproof-37l-double-side-carriage-pack-black_p504588.html?pos=ultimately_buy_2&prm=1.3.5.0 and just carry the (padded) batteries in the bottom on each side. They would be in addition to my regular water bottle area 11.6 AH frame mounted battery, so 34.8 AH total with lots of various combinations depending on the "mission" that day. A short "extension cord" would allow all the batteries to stay in place and for rapid change overs. Carrying them in a backpack is also being cogitated on, maybe one in a pack and one in a pannier. Regardless, a good heavy duty set of pannier bags are my next move. Critiques and suggestions invited!

Attachments

• rack 001.jpg
    rack 001.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 436
  • rack 007.jpg
    rack 007.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 436
  • rack 008.jpg
    rack 008.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 436
  • rack 013.jpg
    rack 013.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 436
Nicely done. I like to do the mud flap trick too, but my favorite material is the foam floor mats I keep finding on the side of the road. Just zip tie it to the frame and the rack.

Also nearly as good, yoga mats, old sign banners, etc.

Back