Successful overvolting on Ananda Controller

Hello folks,

Newbie here. I've been reading quite a bit on this site and I have to say that this is one awesome outfit! Thanks for the great postings! I've learned a lot so far and I'm sure I've barely scratched the surface here.

I have an unusual setup i think. At least in the sense that I don't see a whole lot of folks discussing the kind of hardware that i have. I do see discussions about Ananda controllers, but it seems fairly limited. I suppose this has something to do with market penetration in the US of the ebike that I have.

The setup is a chinese sourced ebike (Later, I'll find a pic of my ebike on-line and post it here.). I purchased the bike locally from an ebike dealer (rmartinbikes.com). The bike has an extended rear fork allowing for a vertical battery compartment under the seat. It is a full suspension, heavy steel frame with a large front fork, disc brakes on front & back. The bike has a rear wheel 250watt brushless motor with a 6 sprocket cassette. Originally there was only a single chain ring on the front making the bike a 6 speed only. I upgraded this with a much nicer richey 3 ring setup. This required adding a front derailleur since the bike didn't have one to begin with. This created interference problems with the battery pack. I had to lift the battery box to make room for the bottom pull mechanism of the derailleur. The main reason for all the mechanical modding was simply that I wanted more low end as this bike is very very heavy; nearly 100lbs loaded (rear rack hauling a laptop), and it was too hard to do pedal only with only a front 38or40 tooth ring. The three ring had to be a square taper connection, so i didn't have too many choices, (unfortunately due to the overall width of the BB, cartridge upgrade was not possible here.) but i managed to find a setup that gave me a nice variety, so I ended up with a much lower gear, and a few teeth more on the large ring. All of this was awesome. Coupled with the 36 volt Ananda brand controller, I could reach speeds up to 28mph downhill. On a flat it was more around 18 to 19mph. Not too bad. A lot better than my averages on a regular un-powered bike.

I've had a look around in both the controller and the motor and here's what i can say about each of them. The motor is of the type where they used the little wooden sticks to separate the sections of the motor. (sorry for the lack of proper motor lingo here), it is fairly basic, so i think it's probably a fairly low quality device. I don't see many markings on the outside of it to identify who the manufacturer actually is, so that's about all i can say there. It is a typical brushless in its basic wiring. The controller made by Ananda, and is a 6 FET config. After removing all the potting material, here are the markings that i could identify on each of the major components inside it:

ICs:
Ananda 2 - this chip is in the center of the board, and has a code, but i forgot to write this one down. I know this is basically the PCM controller, the meat and potatoes of the timing of the phases for the motor.

Comparator - This one I looked up but i have forgotten the code that was on it. It is a TI brand chip. I'm sure this is the logic chip for the hall sensors. There seems to be quite a few resistors between this chip and the hall sensor cables.

1) LM317T CCOA9W MAR452 ST brand < curious about this one. What would this be for?

Caps: (cylinder style)
1) 63V470uF 105c LSHC brand
1) 50v0.47uF 105c LSHC brand
1) 25v10uF 105c LSHC brand
1) 16v100uF 105c Chana brand

FETs:

6 total, but marking varied a little. 2 were not of the same maker.
2) P75NF75 CCOC7 MAR522
1) P75NF75 HW23C 6 KOR452
1) P75NF75 HW22W 6 KOR452
2) P75NF75 HW229 6 KOR452

I imagine folks who are more familiar with electronics know what most of these components are doing in this controller, which i am personally not all that knowledgeable in this area, though i probably know more about it than the average person.

At any rate, based on the following four factors, I decided to over-volt this controller to 48 volts by simply adding another 12volt SLA in series:

1.) The knowledge of experiences of others gained from this site. Extremely helpful in pushing me over the edge to trying this out.
2.) The manufacturer site for the controller, though not certain, almost implies that they may have simply one brushless controller that by design handles the entire range of 12 to 48 volt applications. The pic of the controller on their site looked identical to mine, though this was an external pic only, and in no way was a good verification of more than a similar casing being used.
3.) I have an identical spare motor controller that i purchased from the dealer that sold me the ebike. I bought this controller for troubleshooting purposes when i believed that i had a major hardware failure and thought that the controller was blown. After replacing the controller and still having the same problem i went on to believe that it might be the motor's hall sensors or a throttle control problem. I had to put the project down for a while, busy with work, but when i got back to the bike, i disassembled the battery box and discovered that one of the battery leads had become partially severed from bouncing up and down inside the battery box too much and ultimately crimping the wire between the battery casing and the inside uneven edges of the box itself! This was restricting current flow badly, but not completely which was causing the motor to be unable to deliver enough power to push the bike with a rider on it even at full throttle.
4.) Reviewing the controller's major components and realizing that the FETs are rated for 75volt and paralleled as well. All of this suggested that the manufacturer probably overbuilt this thing to handle some abuse or to, in fact, handle 48 volt operation by design.

At any rate, after reading about the many successes of others, I went for it! As a result of the battery lead damage with the original battery pack, I had to rebuild a new pack. I used the 12 volt 7AH SLA style for space restriction mostly. I had actually bought 6 of these batteries many moons ago in the hopes that either A, I would eventually run 3s2p or B, 6s to get to 72 volt operation. I was able to use a flat piece of aluminum, and double sided surface mounting tape to create the needed support to get the new batteries into the same location of the original pack. They are much more secure than the previous battery box. The only major detail left is protecting the terminals from water in the event of rain.

My commute is fairly short. I only need about an 8 mile range for capacity. I mainly use my ebike for going to work and back which is only 4 miles from the house. 3 grocery stores around my house are all also within a 4 mile radius, so those places are close enough for the lower 7AH. The original batteries were supposedly 12AH, BUT... they are smaller in size compared to the 7AH batteries that I'm using, and only available directly from China as far as I can tell. I find it hard to believe that these batteries are truly 12AH considering their relative size to the 7AH batteries.

I hooked up everything normally, and tested the new pack in the 36 volt configuration. All was well, I then hooked in the extra battery. After that i tested the motor under no load with full throttle and could tell immediately that i had much higher rpms! I then took it out for a test spin around the block, and wow! What a thrill. Now I was reaching 20+ mph without pedaling at all! Very nice! I then charged up the batteries overnight. I had to split the pack and charge three with my original charger, and then the one with a 12 volt charger from an old electric weed eater that broke on me. This charger was designed to charge the exact same SLA battery in that weed eater, so i wasn't too worried about any problems there. The next morning I rode to work on this new machine, and wow! I can now make the trip in about 15 minutes, and that is without trying real hard. I'm a little out of shape right now, since i have been off the bike for considerable amount of time, so i expect that after a few months I'm going to lower that time at least by a minute or so. That's only a couple minutes over the amount of time it would take me to make the same trip in a car!

Also, I have not detected any major heat change on the motor or the controller since this over-volt experiment. Also, I've read that whatever wattage a motor is rated for, it is very likely that it can be doubled without killing the motor.

Now my question for folks here is this... based on the information that i have on this controller, does it look reasonable that this controller might be able to handle 60 volts? Could i get away with that, given the FETs are 75volt? or is there a weak link somewhere else? I understand that there is a low voltage side to the controller that handles the pcm and the sensors and what not, so I'm just wondering based on the specs that I've provided about the components on this controller, does this controller look like it might handle 60, or an absolute no way? I''m very curious but i don't want to smoke the thing just a day after I got it all working!

Any advice would be great!

Later on, I really want to go to 72 volt, but will go all out and upgrade the motor, controller, and batteries at that time. I'm likely to use a 408 and a 72v 35a controller, and the A123 dewalt formula for the batteries. This sounds downright awesome to me! Also, my future vehicle purchase (in 2009) will be a v1 from venture vehicles. Check it out at flytheroad.com

Thanks in advance!

Howdy,

and congrats on a successful upgrade! You might keep in mind the LVC will be low for the new voltage. Even moreso if you go to 60V.

As for the heat, you can double the V, but maybe not for too long.

Austin has a great EV community, you will definitely make a splash if you get a Carver. :mrgreen:

The FETs are 75v rated. Here's the datasheet:
http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/ds/8451/stp75nf75.pdf

11 milliohms isn't the best, so there are many other FETs that would give better performance.

The LM317 is a voltage regulator, which is probably supplying +5 or +12v to the logic circuit. Those have a maximum input voltage of 35v, so I wonder if there is another pre-regulator somewhere. It would be a good idea to measure the voltage on the input pin of the LM317 with the controller powered up to see if it full battery voltage.

In my Vego, the controller is using (12) IRFB3808's, which are rated at 75v and I have run it at 60V, with a 100 amp limit.

A 48v lead-acid battery might be close to 60v during charging.

If you wanted to run a higher voltage, the main capacitors and the FETs would probably need upgrading. The low voltage regulator circuit would need to be checked out to make sure it has enough rating also. It would be BAD if it blew.

You might try tracing the feed for the LM317 input to see where it comes from.

catalystTGJ said:
1) LM317T CCOA9W MAR452 ST brand < curious about this one. What would this be for?

The LM317 is a linear regulator. Its max input-output differential is 40 volts per the data sheet. If it is regulating to 12 volts (not unlikely) then the absolute max would be 52 volts. That could be a problem since full-charge voltage for SLA's is 56 volts.

Options to deal with this problem would be:

-insertion of a high power zener between power in and the LM317T to drop some voltage before it gets to the regulator

-change to an LM317HV - that gives you 60 volts differential. If you do this beware of the extra heat that will come out of the package of the regulator.

6 total, but marking varied a little. 2 were not of the same maker.
2) P75NF75 CCOC7 MAR522
1) P75NF75 HW23C 6 KOR452
1) P75NF75 HW22W 6 KOR452
2) P75NF75 HW229 6 KOR452
As mentioned above these are 75V FETs. The codes after the part number are lot/date codes; they're not too important to you.

Now my question for folks here is this... based on the information that i have on this controller, does it look reasonable that this controller might be able to handle 60 volts?

Things you might want to consider before trying this:

-upgrading the linear regulator

-putting additional ultrafast diodes across the FETs to clamp the phases to the rails. The diodes within the FETs are often used to clamp the flyback voltages from the BLDC motor, but they're slow, so you see spikes. I've seen spikes 10-15 volts above Vcc and below ground on my controller; I think these spikes are the most likely thing that will blow out your FETs. The diodes can help with this.

Wow! That was awesome information. I feel like Neo... "I know Kung Fu."

It's going to take me a bit to process all this great information. I know to the seasoned EE this is not a big deal, and I understand in concept what everyone has said here, it's just a matter of the discipline. Am I ready to do this? I've mess around with some basic circuits before, replaced known blown transistors in devices, modded several models of playstations, soldered wire wrap to surface mount chips before which many said couldn't be done, all that.. i got a steady hand for the task, but I'm not sure if i can take this project to its conclusion (part acquisition, costs, total skill). I'm confident i can do some basic volt/continuity tests, in so much as determining what current is coming and possibly going out of the regulator. I know what diodes accomplish, and I understand the FETs well enough to replace them with upgraded ones, but I'm uncertain of the net result, and given the complexity of the work, and the costs, does it really make sense to take it this far? Or should I just buy a 36-72 volt controller, figure out the hall sensor wiring and pretty much plug and play from there? It's tough call, but... given the experience i could gain, I'm going to press on a bit with the voltage testing, pricing the parts and then decide. I know I do want to eventually go all the way to 72 volt, but I'm reluctant to push this little motor that far, so If I dropped a new controller in I'd probably just try it out at 60 volt initially before a new motor addition. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for the input! Just Awesome!

and TD... Your right about Austin. I wouldn't be surprised to end up on the News after getting a V1. The Carver would be a sweet ride, but they cost about 40+K (too rich for my blood), and not actually an EV, just a regular gasoline burner. Obviously much more efficient than a regular car, but the Venture One will be available as either a pure EV (but only 75mph max, 120mpc), or a PHEV-20 with between 300 and 350 mile range on just 4 gallons of gas! And in the 20K price range! Also, a little closer to the dealership. (California-3000 mile round-trip vs. another continent!) Man, I can't wait to get one! I might actually enjoy driving a car again.. no wait.. a motorcycle , no.. uh... X-wing fighter minus the... wings!.. hey but its still ion driven in a round-a-bout way!

Thanks again everyone... I'll keep you all posted on what i do with this. I'll try to post up some pics of all this stuff too.
Cheers!
g:)

Oh and a technical note that I forgot to mention: This morning I checked the voltage level after the batteries charged all night. They were sitting right at 50 volts. So it looks like I lucked out. If I'd crossed that 52 volt mark, who knows! It could have turned nasty! This was without a load.

I was mainly just wanting to check the one battery that I'm charging with the cheesy little charger which i wasn't real sure was doing a good job, but when i metered the oddball battery, it was right at 12 volts. I'm using a basic analog RadioShack meter, so not positive if it's accurate. I mainly just didn't want to see a very low read.

I took a read when i got home this evening, and its still showing 50 volts, so maybe this is not a real accurate test. Tomorrow morning I'll try a loaded read and see what I come up with.

Also, on a non-electrical comment... If anyone ever wondered how to keep SLA batteries together well, this Scotch brand "Clear Mounting tape" is the bomb. 4010T is the item number. A couple strips on the long wide sides.. put em together and BAM! They don't move! Much more attractive than a bunch of duck tape! Now I just need to figure a good way to rainproof the terminals. Maybe some kind of wax material or something?

catalystTGJ said:
Also, on a non-electrical comment... If anyone ever wondered how to keep SLA batteries together well, this Scotch brand "Clear Mounting tape" is the bomb. 4010T is the item number. A couple strips on the long wide sides.. put em together and BAM! They don't move! Much more attractive than a bunch of duck tape!
Ja. BlackandDecker stick their batts together with sticky foam tape. Pain to separate.

catalystTGJ said:
Now I just need to figure a good way to rainproof the terminals. Maybe some kind of wax material or something?

100% silicone is good. Permatex RTV blue is good too. Avoid hot glue... it could get messy if the terminals get hot. Some folks just wrap things in cling-wrap.

Yes, it can be a tough call whether to modify or buy new. It probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out the wiring for a Crystalyte controller.

As far as the motor, heating is the only real issue, so test gradually and monitor the motor temp. As long as it doesn't get too hot, everything else should be fine.

I can't remember if there are pics of that controller posted somewhere. It might be possible to figure out the voltage regulator issue by looking at a detailed pic of the controller insides.

This is a link to the kind of ebike i have:
http://yzfc.en.alibaba.com/product/50029391/50135872/Electric_Bicycles/Electric_Bicycle/showimg.html

I've gotten rid of the fenders, and I added a topeak bike rack to the back. The rack that i used is the model that the topeak bag can be attached. It's a heavy duty rack that I have been able to successfully haul quite a bit of wait in collapsible bike basket. The bike looks a little goofy with the fenders, course it looks a little goofy just because the seat is a little too close to the handle bars in my opinion. It rides fine though.

I've also ditched the cute battery box, and now have the 7ah SLAs in the same place as that battery box. I'll post some pics of the new configuration. I gained a lot of room by getting rid of the superficial box. I now have all six SLAs arranged where three are stacked end to end, then two are stacked in front of those three, and then one is attached just in front of the rear wheel. It all fit pretty nicely.

The controller is located below the battery box in a compartment in the frame. This is probably not a good idea to keep it here with extra heat from overvolting since it really doesn't get much wind down there.

I also added a 12 volt cigarette style power outlet mainly so i can use the airpump whenever i like without needing a car around. It's not hardwired in though. I just plug it in when needed.

I'll post some pics of my actual bike as soon as i have them ready.

Cheers!

I've been pricing some parts to upgrade the existing controller, but it's really looking like it might be too much money to do it. I priced the IRFB4110 part alone at digikey and it would cost almost 37 bucks for 6 of these. That's not including shipping, plus i'd still need need replacement caps and a new regulator, so I'm seriously thinking that it would be more logical to just buy a new controller.

I am kicking around the idea of just getting a 36-72 20amp. My goal would be about 30mph. I'm not looking for much higher than that as i think it would be too much cost for my application. Right now I have the 36v 15amp controller running with 48 volts and that is getting me about 25 mph with some pedaling. If i get another 5mph from a 72 volt configuration that would be perfect. The price difference between a 20amp and 35amp controller looks like about 75 - 80 bucks, so i'm leaning more towards 20amp.

At any rate, what websites or places do folks recommend for such a part purchase? Right now, I'm looking here: http://www.evsolutions.net/prices.html
They have a 20amp controller for 20A X 36-72V $144.55

Anyone know of a better deal elsewhere? I'm searching but not finding too many places.

Thanks!

Hi, I have just bought a broken ebike that sounds the same as yours. It is 36v battery box behind the seat vertical and has same controller. The previous owner has ripped all wires out so I need to figure out wiring!

Is it possible you can open the box at bottom of frame and take a picture? The previous owner has also cut some of the connectors off. Is this bike also PAS? Do you have to pedal before the motor will work?

Thanks

RM right A.JPGdan-graham, your ebike sounds like the one I am trying to restore. It is an R Martin model E1100 made about 2005-2006 according to R Martin. Mine too has wires cut. R Martin says they do not have a wiring diagram for it!

I'm looking for:
1. Wiring diagram for an R Martin E-1100 electric bicycle (36-volt).
2. Wiring diagram (connector diagram and wire colors) for a 3615DLC-10G0 hub motor controller.
3. Wiring diagram (wire colors and functions) for a Wuxing LT-14X throttle.

The above are on this bike. Photo attached.

---Jim

You might be able to figure out the wiring from the Currie user manuals as most of them used Ananda controllers. See the 4th post down for the link http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21999

I also have the pinouts for a few Ananda controllers and will see if I can find them. From memory the throttle and PAS connect to black/red/yellow wire connectors and the brake switch shorts green & black of the green/black/red wire connector.

Thanks, jateureka. You have been very helpful. It is an Ananda small controller as shown on their website at http://www.ananda.com.cn/anandaenglish/product_list.asp?id=327. The wiring diagram on page 43 of the Currie book looks about right, or at least close. My son got this E-1100 somewhere and the wiring has been gutted!!! Wires cut, connectors missing, etc. As a stubborn electronics engineer and technician I thought I could restore it. And it can be done. All it takes is time and money. Thanks again.

Attachments

• Ananda 3615DLC-2FJ0.jpg
    Ananda 3615DLC-2FJ0.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 5,344
The 36V BLDC version has a small design floor in that the capacitors lay directly across the FET pins where they come through the PCB. When these things are run hard in higher temps the capacitor sleeve melts enough for the metal case to short out the FET pins, normally happens to the blue phase as it's in the centre and has less heat dissipation.

You can see this in the attached pic. [Edit: I think these electrolytic capacitors are only used in the 'soft start' version].

If you are going to push the limits with this controller then gently lift those 3 caps and place some solid insulation between them and the FET pins.

Attachments

• P4210004.JPG
    P4210004.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 11,286
Thanks once more for your help. My controller is a bit different than yours. Two photos attached. One shows the controller and cables from it labelled as I know it so far. The 6-pin connector (purple, blue, brown, black, red, green) still undetermined is for throttle (with 3 LED battery level lights) and brake lever sensors (normally open switches that close when the brake levers are pulled). I will assume the two brake lever switches are wired in parallel (wired-OR). I have email inquiries into Ananda (controller) and Wuxing (throttle). We'll see if they answer! The Wuxing LT-14X throttle has 9 wires coming out of it. Two yellow wires are the "Power" On-Off switch (push on, push off). The others (red, black, white,brown, gray, green,blue) show no resistance or continuity in any combinations.

Re: the capacitors shorting out. Mine doesn't have those capacitors. The conformal coating looks undisturbed so I must conclude they were never there. See photo.

Thanks again!

---Jim

Attachments

• 3615DLC Controlller R Martin E1100.JPG
    3615DLC Controlller R Martin E1100.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 11,307
  • 3615 PCB.JPG
    3615 PCB.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 11,302
Just received an email reply from Susan Yang at Wuxing in China with the throttle wire designations. For the LT-14X (discontinued model) the pinout is:
Red +5VDC
Black Ground, -5 VDC
White Speed signal (Hall sensor?)
Brown, Gray, Green, Blue Battery (for LED battery level)
Yellow (2 wires) Normally Open "Power" push button

---Jim

THROTTLE UPDATE
The battery level indicator in the Wuxing LT-14X throttle is three LEDs (red, yellow, green), for low, med, and full battery. The brown wire is the common positive lead. The blue, green and gray wires are the individual LED negative leads. Tying blue, green and gray together and feeding voltage lights the LED's up in sequence as the voltage is increased. BUT IT STARTS AT ABOUT 3 VDC. Either a zener diode (or 3 zeners), or a resistive divider is needed to withstand 36 vdc. A divider of 3900 ohms and a shunt of 910 ohms (all i/2 watt) does a fair job. Total current draw is around 5 mAdc. My bench supply only goes to 30 vdc. Now it's time to hunt down a 36 volt 10 amp power supply and get serious. Just about have the whole wiring diagram worked out, thanks to these posts and Wuxing.

That might be a multi voltage throttle that you short different wires for 24V/36V/48V.
Eg. Try just joining the grey and green wires for 36V.

Re tie Wuxing LT-14X throttle, battery level leds---

Just made individual LED tests using a variable voltage bench power supply.
Gray wire---"full"---Green LED---NEGATIVE LEAD.
Blue wire---"half"---Yellow LED---NEGATIVE LEAD.
Green wire---"empty"---Red LED---NEGATIVE LEAD.
Brown wire---common POSITIVE LEAD.

The LEDs each light up at about 3.5 volts DC. This allows the throttle to be used with any system from about 6 volts up.
If the three leads each had a separate zener diode to subtract out a desired voltage, then the three LEDs could register at any voltage levels desired. For temporary testing now I am using a resistor divider and driving all three lines together.

Attached is a PDF of what I think the wiring diagram is. Next step is to connect it all together. We are borrowing three 12-volt car batteries (for 36 volts) and will power it all up and see if it works---or what happens. Not spending any big money until we know it works!

Attachments

• E-1100 Wiring Diagram A.pdf
    36.3 KB · Views: 478
Update on R Martin E-1100 restoration. Got 3 car batteries in series (36 volts) with a 10 amp fuse for fireworks prevention. Connected up all leads per the DRAFT wiring diagram uploaded previously. Connected the 36 volts. REAR WHEEL IMMEDIATELY BEGAN TURNING FURIOUSLY! Guess the hub motor works. Throttle has no effect on wheel speed. Possible wrong connection? Brake lever switches are in parallel and connected between the Ananda 3615DLC-10G0 purple wire and thin black wire (ground). Pulling either brake lever stops power to the motor. The Ananda low voltage internal regulator (thin red and black wires) reads 5.09 volts dc. Sounds about right. Tried a 10K ohm variable resistor from the purple wire to the black wire. Reducing the resistance slows the wheel speed smoothly from max to zero. With the bike upside down and the rear wheel turning fast (no load on the wheel), the measured current from the car batteries is about 1/2 ampere. Obviously need more work on the wiring to get the throttle working right.

Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated.

---Jim

Did you try the throttle without the LED bty gauge and resistive V divider connections?

The correct wires for the throttle should be the same as the PAS ones, so see what colours go to where the red/black/yellow ones go on the controller PCB.

Have you tested the throttle to confirm red/black/white are correct wires?

jateureka,

1. Yes, I left the battery monitor (on the throttle) totally disconnected during the recent tests.
2. The PAS sensor has a separate red/black/yellow cable to the controller. It was connected for the test, but the rear wheel started turning on its own as soon as the 36 volts was applied. Couldn't see how to test the PAS. Disconnecting this PAS cable made no detectable change.
3. Re: The throttle red/black/white wires--- the red and black go to the same red and black (5 volt power) as the PAS according to my continuity tester. The yellow PAS wire (from the controller) does NOT have continuity with any of the 6 wires (from the controller) available for the throttle connections.
4. With the throttle red/black powered by 5 volts from the controller, I measured the throttle white wire (open circuit/wire not connected to anything) at 0.84 to 4.89 volts to ground, depending on throttle position. The 0.84 is with throttle closed, and the 4.89 is with throttle wide open, the voltage varying smoothly with throttle position in between. It would seem the throttle is working???
5. ANOTHER QUESTION--- The controller has two white wires coming out of it to a 2-pin connector. One of the drawings you sent shows something similar and labelled "restrictor/limiter". During the test those two white wires were not connected to anything. How should they be used?

Thanks again.

Back