• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Talking to Mission Motors

Ematt

1 µW
[1st post because I forgot my old username!]

Here's the response I got from contacting Mission Motors:
Hi Matt,

Thanks for your input. I doubt we have an existing battery solution that fits the needs of the ebike application, but I'm interested in learning more about the market and its needs. Can you point to the best option that exists off-the-shelf, or an ideal specification for the systems that don't exist, but customer wish they did?

Best regards,

--
Chris Zach
Director of Business Development
Mission Motor Company

My message to Mission was this:
Hello,
Please make your battery systems available for the DIY ebike
community! Ebike kits sell online in a number of varieties, motor only
mostly. Your solution scaled down to 36v, 48v or 72v would sell, not
to mention save hobbyists from the dangers of battery tinkering.
Supporting such an ebike solution would be a cinch with the help of
the endless-sphere.com forums... your customers.
Thanks for listening! Peace.

How to respond? I was thinking include a link to e-bikekit.com ... and?

Uff, tough one... Actually a very smart answer from their side: polite, friendly... But it will be very hard to properly respond to that.

"Best" solution is different for everyone. I could point out what is best for me today:
1. Small, light (<2.5kg) and powerful (>2kW) hub motor. Probably (properly) geared one.
2. Same for middrive, but more power, maybe 4kW and above. Minimal cogging and noise.

The problem with ebikes is the level of customization. I am afraid to say, but they would not be able to help us unless there is some standards in the bike and e-bike community. There is just too many frame available to convert. The best thing they can do is:

1) offer a way to let us send our frame to them and they will build and mount the battery for you.

2) offer individual cells for cheap and let us do the mounting ourselves.

1 will probably never happen because they are not in the business. And there are plenty of people who do that now. Think e-Bike shop.

2 will probably never happen because they don't make the cells. Therefore, they do NOT have a say on how much it cost. Remember the cells has to be cheap because we DIYer will have to pay on terms of time and money to build the mount to work with their cells.

The level of customization is largely for lack of availability - Watch a convenient, standardized battery be adopted quickly. Probably more than just one, actually. People would then look for a way to work around the conveniently available batteries.

circuit said:
"Best" solution is different for everyone. I could point out what is best for me today:
1. Small, light (<2.5kg) and powerful (>2kW) hub motor. Probably (properly) geared one.
2. Same for middrive, but more power, maybe 4kW and above. Minimal cogging and noise.

?? I thought the OP was referring to a "Battery Solution" ??
But there seems to be some confusion anyway since the "mission" battery module is already "scalable" according to their own info.
And why the interest anyway in something that is just another "mystery" LiFePo4 cell with a 4C continuous rating ?

Back