Tallahau electric longboard build

hey buddy add a capacitor just in case only cost a few bucks and it save your esc from random voltage spikes

Okay so I finally got it all put together and working nicely...for a while. All of a sudden the ESC starts to complain that two fully charged 3s 5000 mAh in series have low battery...I tried them separately and no problem there is only when in they are in series. Is it possible that the series adapter is the problem or could it be the ESC? I solded the adapter myself and I don't think I have pushed the ESC too far...

psychotiller said:
You have a damaged/retarded cell dropping below the cut-off when under load.

How's that possible? I've used the batteries like one should...It worked just perfectly on my way home, and when I got home, recharged the batteries and it didn't work again...Is there any way to fix this?

I meant to write you "could" have...

The possibility exists because the battery manufacturer could have sent you a faulty battery with a damaged cell. Or you didn't balance charge and a cell got messed up? I'm only guessing. I did have a battery that had a cell that would drop off the map once in awhile and then when I went to charge it I would get the low cell warning. I had to get a new one.

psychotiller said:
I meant to write you "could" have...

The possibility exists because the battery manufacturer could have sent you a faulty battery with a damaged cell. Or you didn't balance charge and a cell got messed up? I'm only guessing. I did have a battery that had a cell that would drop off the map once in awhile and then when I went to charge it I would get the low cell warning. I had to get a new one.

Done some measurements and testing now. The voltage is 25.2V both at the connector and at the base of the ESC. It drops down to 25.1V during load (The 3 seconds when it goes to max...) at both points. Tried with two other batteries that was balance charged, same there. And still they work just fine separately without triggering any voltage cut. And even though I turned it of in the settings it still goes of....Really really strange.

If I need to buy a new one, any other recommended ESC?

Tallahau said:
Done some measurements and testing now. The voltage is 25.2V both at the connector and at the base of the ESC. It drops down to 25.1V during load (The 3 seconds when it goes to max...) at both points. Tried with two other batteries that was balance charged, same there. And still they work just fine separately without triggering any voltage cut. And even though I turned it of in the settings it still goes of....Really really strange.

Seems weird...When you say "under load" do you mean on the bench or while riding? I still don't think it's the ESC.

psychotiller said:
Tallahau said:

Seems weird...When you say "under load" do you mean on the bench or while riding? I still don't think it's the ESC.

When it's on the bench with full throttle, don't think I can measure the voltage while riding it. But does that matter when the ESC shows low voltage even when it's on the bench and I can measure 25.1 at the base of the ESC?

Saw now that one connector to the motors was hanging by one thread, so I re-soldered it, but it didn't make any difference...

If not the ESC, what could it be that I haven't tried?

Well .1 of a drop is nothing really. You'd see a significant difference with the weight of a person on there is all I'm saying. I found out recently that having a fraying motor wire will burn out your esc lickety-split. So it's good you fixed that.

You were (almost) absolutely right Psychotiller. Finally got everything to work again and the ESC wasn't broken, just some small bugs.

The primary problem was that one of the fabric soldered connectors to the engine was bad and it was literally hanging by a thread. Re-soldered it and after a few attempts to start it up I managed to do so! The ESC must probably somehow thought that the bad connection to the engine somehow was caused by low voltage and therefore shut down. I still have some minor problems with the ESC, when I start it, as soon as it has identified the 6S battery I must pull the throttle fully for 1-2 sec or otherwise the low voltage larm shuts it down. Once I've done that it works without a problem for up to 75 minutes (ran out of battery after that).

Awaiting a new deck and will post some pictures as soon as I get it!

Was your problem similar to this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9HkX3uDzE8

Starts running fine after the battery drains to ~24.7v; I've been pulling my hair out trying to fix the thing.
(Hobbyking agreed to refund me for it though, sans international shipping costs)

brent said:

I've had that exact problem since the day I got the HK150 ESC, I was too impatient to do costumer-service after 2 months of waiting for it to arrive that I ended up just removing one cell from my 6S 5000mah pack. With 5S it runs great and the speed I get is plenty enough for me (28km/h).

I have the same problem with the hk150 and a new fully charged 6s pack. It will say low voltage and the throttle response has no linearity, just on and off, but once it discharges a bit it works just fine.

rs4race said:
I have the same problem with the hk150 and a new fully charged 6s pack. It will say low voltage and the throttle response has no linearity, just on and off, but once it discharges a bit it works just fine.
brent said:

Starts running fine after the battery drains to ~24.7v; I've been pulling my hair out trying to fix the thing.
(Hobbyking agreed to refund me for it though, sans international shipping costs)

Exactly the same problem! Never tried to measure any voltage dependence other than to make sure the cells were at ~4.2V. Also got it to work without discharging it a bit, just turned it on and as soon as the identification of 6S cell is complete, full throttle for 1-2 seconds and then it works fine with linear throttle response.

Yeah. Usually it will error at a low speed but if I get the speed up and ride there for a bit it doesnt error.

Finally got everything to work and got a new deck! Even managed to get a Wii controller to work with Arduino Micro Pro, still many adjustments before the code is ready but should be done within a week or so. Here are some images:

lajN1qm.jpg

H0jeTjs.jpg

HSqLXiu.jpg

n2HD85d.jpg

Close-up of the electronics box

Cv7ndos.jpg

Even closer on the Wii-reciever and the arduino

Back