Tesla P85D Insane Mode

Ch00paKabrA

10 kW
I did a google search and didn't see this posted yet. If it is a repeat, please forgive:

[youtube]85027636[/youtube]

For some reason the video won't embed so here is the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422503916&v=1qFV5i8tBhs&x-yt-cl=85027636

good video showign people's honest reactions to Tesla's Insane mode.

He should tell people to have their heads against the headrest. Whiplash, anyone? :mrgreen:

Shit n git'

Electric + AWD = win. Looks like they are hitting ~ 3 sec 0-60mph on the street which is phenomenal. That should put the car solidly into the 11's in the quarter mile which makes it a quick street car.

Rumor has it they have a new PD firmware to drop it to 2.8s...

This is family sedan with seating for 5 adults and 2 kids, and retains a generous luggage area.

What will gas cars have left when electric family sedans defeat there best purpose built 'supercars'.

liveforphysics said:

This is family sedan with seating for 5 adults and 2 kids, and retains a generous luggage area.

What will gas cars have left when electric family sedans defeat there best purpose built 'supercars'.

I heard that too!

Let see when they will release a P60D !!!! like 400 pounds less for the same power.. well when new higher C rate cells could be released!!

I just wonder what 0-60 time could be obtained on the PXXD with the actual battery replaced by the same power in HK Nanotech driven at 130C !!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Doc

Elon confirmed the rumor of the over-the-air-update to make the P85D faster, but sadly it's not going to put the car into the 2s range, but 3.1s. Allegedly it makes a bigger improvement in acceleration above 60mph than below 60mph.

Until the Model S demonstrates the endurance to lap a track like the Nurburgring Ring it's going to continue getting dismissed out-of-hand by the majority. I don't doubt Tesla will get there, it's just a case of when.

Punx0r said:
Until the Model S demonstrates the endurance to lap a track like the Nurburgring Ring it's going to continue getting dismissed out-of-hand by the majority. I don't doubt Tesla will get there, it's just a case of when.

It's a family car not a track car. In time I would not doubt someone will post times. The ring would probably show thermal weaknesses. Road racing is very hard on stuff.

The truth is very few people care about performance beyond 0-60 times.

Punx0r said:

How many laps have you done on Nurburgring?

I'm going to guess somewhere between 0 and less than 10.

How many times have you accelerated away from traffic or a stop light or something?

Hillhater said:
zombiess said:
[.
The truth is very few people care about performance beyond 0-60 times.
..and few of those ever actually use that performance !.....

Very true. I myself was a prime example of that today. I demonstrated my car's acceleration from a stop light and then I realized that it had been months since I last flogged it from a dead stop.

0-60 is still a very key performance spec as it's power that one can use in normal driving. Pulling over 1G on a skid pad is also, but few people will be able to push those limits on the street.

I doubt Tesla owners will seriously track their sedans on a road course and the car is pretty big to do auto cross with where it would probably lose to a stock Mazda Miata (lots of high power cars lose to Miatas in auto cross) if the course is a bit tight.

Something to keep in mind about the 0-60 times with the Tesla vs other cars 0-60 times. Very few drivers are capable of getting advertised 0-60 times seen in specs. Many times the specs are fudged from calculations and not reality, or they are done on a prepped closed course. In real life the road sucks and the driver sucks even worse. It's VERY hard to go 0-60mph in a car on the street in under 4.0 seconds unless it's all wheel drive and has an automatic transmission. The Tesla is exempt from needing a good driver and it makes the best of any road surface due to it's AWD and traction control system which turns it into a stab and steer stop light monster that destroys almost anything in a short stop light race. Yes, I want one :)

I'm not looking forward to the day when any jackass with $50k and lousy judgment can reach 60+mph on any single block of any neighborhood street anywhere. Our streets are already abattoirs. We chastise each other about wearing bicycle helmets yet accept 40,000 dead from cars each year in the USA as a given.

I am looking forward to the day when cars are self-driving as a general rule, and when they are all electronically limited to the speed limit of whatever street they happen to be on. Let's keep racetrack style driving to the racetrack, shall we?

Better yet, let's limit driving to the racetrack, shall we? I really think we'll be better off without having to live with it in our cities.

Chalo said:
I'm a wet blanket

Fixed that for you Chalo :lol:

I understand what you are saying, but by the same logic we should also limit what people eat since being fat kills even more people than car accidents, estimated at 300,000 in the USA.

All you can eat buffets are limited to those with a BMI < 25.

Being fat only kills those who are fat, not anyone else who happens to be nearby at the time someone is being fat.

I wonder what all the medical problems fat people have does to insurance rates for everyone else, or what their extra size and weight does to plane ticket prices, or how the volume of food they needlessly consume affects buffet prices, or....? :wink: Should we legislate BMI? Heck no! Just hand out free doritos and let mother nature clean up the gene pool naturally. :shock:

For the record, I don't like cars anymore either and I used to be a big gear head. Even had a 700+hp awd car that did 0-60 in under 2 seconds. The thought of them driving themselves makes me sick though. Since I don't like cars anymore, rather than calling for legislation to slow them down or automate them, I just stay off of roads. The only way that "fast car syndrome" will go away is if someone builds a way to get around that is safer, cheaper, AND way more fun. However, it would be neat if fast cars came with factory installed systems that automatically honk the horn and flash the lights when the throttle is depressed more than 1/4 of their total travel. You can go fast but it would be nice for others to get a warning. :lol:

The part about the new ev tech trend that saddens me is the huge energy consumption and waste. It doesn't make any difference to pollution/sustainability if your new tech takes thousands of gallons of petrol to produce, consumes 50kwh of coal fired juice to go 100 miles, has a 300 mile range when most commutes are 30 miles or less, and has room for five people when most cars on the road only have one person in them 90% of the time.

I'm all over the place on this one. Fast can be fun! Fast on the track equals fast on the streets when in the hands of stupid, egotistical, irresponsible, over compensating consumers and fast on the streets is scary for everyone. Rules or computers being necessary to regulate it all makes me sad about the general ignorance, ineptitude, skewed priorities, and lack of personal responsibility displayed by humanity. Maybe all cars should be designed to shock the hell out of the driver's crotch on impact if the internal gps referenced sensors sense irrational driving? :mrgreen:

I'll just take the trails.

more importantly the p85d with the new firmware does 0-60 in 3.13 in the mutherfcuking rain. no gas supercar can touch this with a gas motor. it is simply not possible no matter how good their traction control system is as a gas motor has too much lag

I hear an independent team (with backdoor support) is going to enter the Baja 500 with a Model X. It takes less than 6 minutes to swap a battery with 6 guys with 6 impact wrenches

r3volved said:
liveforphysics said:
LOL! No more swapping high-flow parts for HP+, just code!
Yeah but now I am thinking about they could offer a sports model with a 'nitrous' super capacitor booster and button on the steering wheel to give the car a boost on the last 100 yards of a quarter mile drag run, so they can still have that that tedious moment in the next fast and furious movies etc :D

Also with the unusual behavior with youtube might be due to the fact they have now gone default on HTML5 video over flash, they did this a few days ago I read.
I guess for Google the days of trying to annoy Apple iPad users wasn't worth holding back the march of progress. They have been flicking this on and off for years but I guess they wanted to get perfect before making it fully default. As far as I can tell youtube is working and looking a lot better now.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/youtube-declares-html5-video-ready-for-primetime-makes-it-default/

flathill said:
more importantly the p85d with the new firmware does 0-60 in 3.13 in the mutherfcuking rain. no gas supercar can touch this with a gas motor. it is simply not possible no matter how good their traction control system is as a gas motor has too much lag

Yes a gas motor car could easily accomplish the same with a good traction control system and AWD. Power is easy to make on gas engine and leaving the line at full torque and 0 wheel RPM is also easy. Gas engine + forced induction + automatic trans + good stall converter. Electric has some awesome advantages but it's not the end all of performance. Some gas cars traction control systems are phenomenal.

For most high power cars the limit of acceleration is dictated the the amount of friction available between the tires and the road.

zombiess said:
flathill said:

Yes a gas motor car could easily accomplish the same with a good traction control system and AWD. Power is easy to make on gas engine and leaving the line at full torque and 0 wheel RPM is also easy. Gas engine + forced induction + automatic trans + good stall converter. Electric has some awesome advantages but it's not the end all of performance. Some gas cars traction control systems are phenomenal.

For most high power cars the limit of acceleration is dictated the the amount of friction available between the tires and the road.
Can you really get past the lag? Can an ICE motor deliver torque from idle or does it need a 'pre-rev'?

I test drove a p85 a few weeks back, and I kept hitting my head on the rest :lol:

Phenomenal car for a family sedan. It drove easily at low speed and power, vision was great, driving was comfortable. now I am hell bent at paying off the house quickly so I can purchase one, so far I've saved $600 abstaining from eating out and driving the electric scooter as much as possible. A decade of this and I will be scot free!

liveforphysics said:
Punx0r said:

How many laps have you done on Nurburgring?

I'm going to guess somewhere between 0 and less than 10.

How many times have you accelerated away from traffic or a stop light or something?

I think in your rush to defend the EV you missed my point ;)

The Model S might be making a big splash in California, but in Europe it's presence is non-existant. I've seen a handful of web-based reviews from the motoring press, but nothing on TV. It's not EV phobia: The Porsche 918, La Ferrari and McLaren P1 hybrids are getting plenty of airtime and generating a lot of interest. They are getting credit for bringing performance EV power to road cars, raising awareness and changing opinions. Where is Tesla, who we internet nerds know has achieved much more? Nowhere. No one's heard of them unless they're a car nerd.

Why is this? Several reasons, but I think a big one is that a typical car review on anything remotely sporty or performance-orientated involves some track testing. From what I've read, the Model S cannot complete a lap of most tracks without entering reduced power mode (which will invariably be called "limp mode"). The response from most reviewers? "What the frock is this?!".

Does it matter for average road driving? Unlikely. But then neither does top speed, 0-60 time, quarter mile, lateral g or any manner of other things. 99% what you need is economy, compact size, good all-round visibility and comfortable seats, because you're in traffic. However, 99% of people don't buy a car on those points. They want something fast, powerful and sporty, even if they'll likely never use that performance. It's evident from the EV range issue. Most people drive considerably less than 50 miles a day, but won't entertain the idea of an EV with less than 500 miles range.

The Nurburgring in particular is very popular proving ground and yardstick for many car manufacturers at the moment. It might be daft, but it's what people currently think is significant. If the Model S can't do it, then it will be dismissed without consideration by many people - as I said before.

The only 'Ring time I can find for the Model S is "about 10 minutes", bridge-to-gantry. The current record for a production EV is 7:56 (Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive).

In fact, here's what a 10 minute (10:08) lap "car" looks like:

Ford Transit van
Diesel
136 BHP
0-60 time: 21sec

In looking up some numbers for this post I found plenty of similar talk on the Tesla forum. The measure of a car being the traffic light GrandPrix is a North American phenomenon. Tesla needs to better understand its target market if it wants to make headway in the rest of the world. At least as long as it's using performance as a selling point.

Back