• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

The dog ate my Derailleur (sort of) Need raplacement info

gaisom

100 mW
Today I jumped on my Trike, got set to go, beat the dog away because he gets so excited. I was in Granny low when I took off and ran over the toy he had dropped under the trike. Bang, chain falls off, I almost fall off, and the trike comes to a sudden halt.
I put the chain back on and it won't shift. Back to the garage and hoist it up on my rope & pulleys to find that the pivot post where the derailleur mounts to the trike has broken out of the housing of the derailleur.
So now I get to replace it. This is a Shimano RD TX71 GS or part # 26225 according to the JBimporters parts list.

Here is my question. In taking it apart I see that there are no bearings on either chain-wheel, only a steel bushing. Can I find a replacement for this Derailleur which has bearings on the Chain-wheel rollers or are they all made like this?

gaisom said:
Today I jumped on my Trike, got set to go, beat the dog away because he gets so excited. I was in Granny low when I took off and ran over the toy he had dropped under the trike. Bang, chain falls off, I almost fall off, and the trike comes to a sudden halt.
I put the chain back on and it won't shift. Back to the garage and hoist it up on my rope & pulleys to find that the pivot post where the derailleur mounts to the trike has broken out of the housing of the derailleur.
So now I get to replace it. This is a Shimano RD TX71 GS or part # 26225 according to the JBimporters parts list.

Here is my question. In taking it apart I see that there are no bearings on either chain-wheel, only a steel bushing. Can I find a replacement for this Derailleur which has bearings on the Chain-wheel rollers or are they all made like this?

There are plenty of derailleurs that have bearing supported pulleys. It wouldn't be too hard to replace the wheel itself with a version with a bearing.

These look like they'd work:

http://www.amazon.com/Tacx-Ball-Bearing-Derailleur-Pulley/dp/B000OYFTIK

Gaisom --

Cal3thousand suggestion can get you back on the road with improved derailleur.

But root cause analysis suggests derailleur isn't the underlying cause of failure.
"Dog wants to go!" is root cause.
Perhaps http://www.amazon.com/Aosom-Elite-Bike-Carrier-Trailer/dp/B005CRZDQ2/ref=zg_bs_3024181011_3 is the answer?

(I'm dealing with same basic issue)

footloose said:
Gaisom --

Cal3thousand suggestion can get you back on the road with improved derailleur.

But root cause analysis suggests derailleur isn't the underlying cause of failure.
"Dog wants to go!" is root cause.
Perhaps http://www.amazon.com/Aosom-Elite-Bike-Carrier-Trailer/dp/B005CRZDQ2/ref=zg_bs_3024181011_3 is the answer?

(I'm dealing with same basic issue)

You can find a lot of them on CL right now for a good deal... Your dog will love you even more :mrgreen:

Thanks for that link, but the problem is the derailleur is busted so I need to purchase a new one.

Hmm, I can just replace the original with a like derailleur and then replace the chain pulleys, that will work.. thanks.

Was going to buy one locally, except no one seems to carry them. One guy tells me they have been replace by a TX75 so now I can't decide to order online or go pick up the TX75

Back