• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

The famous EV MOTOR SOUND debate...vs old good V8 !

Doctorbass

100 GW
Like me, Have you ever heard people discovering and appreciating the EV performances demo BUT complaining about the old good engine sound that is missing?

Like:

Wow.. that's incredibble.. your electric car/EV is very impressive... But I preffer the great sound of my V8 on the drag lane than your's vacum cleaner motor sound!! lol..

I think that this can become a serious obstacke for the people that like high performance car and engine vibration and exciting sound.

I am thinking to find out a way to build electric motor that create a good interesting sound.

The gas engine powered car industry invest milions of dollars just to improove the exaust sound of their car because it have a real influence on car buyers. helmotz resonators, headers, exaust line diameter, intake.. etc...

In electric motor domain the sound is more like a turbine or high pitch and harmonic sound than the low frequency spectrum covered by a gas engine sound that usually attract people. There is still no research on that to improove that and this is a serious problem i think

And i think this become urgent to find a solution to help EV sales to grow up.

Doc

Word. I saw on tv where Harley brings in groups of test-lisenters to evaluate test clips of each new model.. playing dozens of sound clips of ever so slightly different exhaust designs to pick the most pleasing one. I agree that it is very important.

Maybe we all should add a neutral feature to our bikes, so we can rev-up for bystanders.. :p

When I was a kid we used to attach playing cards to our chain stays and seat stays with clothpins. The guy with the most cards had the best sounding ride. Unfortunatly they created drag, so he was also the slowest.

Some sort of adjustable pitch E-sound generator sounds like a good idea. But for now I will have to settle for this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifVo6vitB78&feature=channel_page

^Cool, the sound of a tank rolling up behind you would make you look! With all these high power automotive sound systems, you'd think this would be a popular add-on.

Way back in the infancy of ICs and microprocessors there was a product on the market that generated engine sound according to engine speed. In the demonstration I remember it had a range from a 2 cyclinder John Deere tractor to a Ferrari V12. It was rediculously priced and I've searched several times but never found reference to it or anything similar.

The novelty would be fun, but the thing I'd like most would be the ability to cancel all exhaust sound without physical restriction.

Cool thought Doc...
Although the V8 ain't all that "old"

Remember the Girasole EV from 2007? ...waaaaay older (sounding):
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2007/01/the_girasole_an_1.php
:lol:
loC

Ya can always go reciprocating
[youtube]ddG_TAXgjXs[/youtube]

Miles said:
Here you go http://www.modelsolutions.ca/catalog_sound_systems.htm :mrgreen:

That's a great fins Miles!!

i'll buy one for my electric beast :twisted:

Hello, all, our sound modules are intended for radio controlled models where the engine sound is controlled by a variable pulse width coming from the radio control receiver. The pulse is nominally 1.5ms at the idle position and varies from 1ms to 2ms at either extreme of the throttle stick on the R/C transmitter. If you construct a simple variable pulse generator that takes your 0-5Volts throttle grip signal to feed our module then you have a solution. Our module will output 40watts when run on 26Volts, but you may well need more power using an additional amplifier and a large loudspeaker to get the realistic sound you are seeking. If there was sufficient interest we would have to customize the hardware and firmware so that it could take a variable voltage input instead.

Our modules do have a USB port and come with very nice PC SW so you can download your own sounds to it.

We have one customer who has installed our sound module in a full size replica WWI Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Bi-plane feeding a car stereo amp. to get realistic gun sounds to complement the sound from it's real engine - very cool eh?

Regards,
David Harrison
CEO and Chief Engineer
Model Solutions of Canada Ltd.
http://www.modelsolutions.ca

Hi David,

Many of us are using servo-testers as throttle controls for brushless ESCs - I guess we can just tap the signal from this...

I fancy a horse sound effect.... Could one get the right progression from trot to canter to gallop (WOT)? :mrgreen:

Over on VisforV a while back there was a discussion about citizens expressing concern over how quiet electric vehicles are (bikes/scooters/motos/cars)

In the bay area there is talk about a LAW requiring sound generators that have a minimum dB so pedestrians hear them coming and don't inadvertently step out in front of them. Some concern over blind pedestrians...

I recommended free down-loadable looping MP3 sound files such as a harley idling, and when you accellerate, the sound of a Harley speeding up. Perhaps a two-stroke scooter sound, on an EV-scoot? Steam engine?

spinningmagnets said:
Over on VisforV a while back there was a discussion about citizens expressing concern over how quiet electric vehicles are (bikes/scooters/motos/cars)

In the bay area there is talk about a LAW requiring sound generators that have a minimum dB so pedestrians hear them coming and don't inadvertently step out in front of them. Some concern over blind pedestrians...

The drive train on my E-scooter generates enough noise that pedestrians can hear me comming from 50-100 feet away. I can tell from their reaction as I approach, and most often they have turned and are looking at me as I pass. Other cyclists in the bike lane can hear me as well, but for added insurance I have and use an Incredibell whenever I am comming up on anyone from behind.

The MP3 player solution is not a solution if you want truly proportional engine speed sound. Our modules do that and play one of 16 steps of increasing pitch. You can also set the maximumidle speed ratio in the PC SW before you download the sounds to the module.
And you can have up to four additional sounds that can either be played seperately, or together with the engine sound.

In R/C models they are usually used for naval or airplane gunfire, rockets firing, horns, bells, General Quarters announcements etc. The additional sounds can be controlled by another R/C channel or by a manual switch.

Regards,
David

The only sound from any EV I own had better be the real thing, no posing!!! :x

The EV silence is a big plus for me, of course, if it sounded (and performed) like this, I would be ok with it: :lol:
[youtube]PVv0NVLFPig[/youtube]

The fact that a lot of people like the sound of a gas engine doesn't make it a "good" sound!

I remember all the good times I had with my moped when it was gas powered whenever I smell I lawnmower, dirtbike or outboard motor... but I also love the smell of a hot soldering iron!

The beauty of electric power IS it's silence, in my opinion.

I saw this great video of the Wrightspeed X1 destroying a Nascar car and then a Lamborghini on an oval track - and someone commented on how sickly and disgusting the gasoline powered cars sounded in comparison.

Personally I LOVE the sound of an electric motor spinning up. Sure, a tuned exhaust has some nostalgic appeal. But that's what it is for me - old technology.

Not obsolete, but certainly not something to be faked.

ipod and battery powered speakers taped to the handlebars :D play any sound you want even chuck norris yelling "move it punks!"

Now that I've been driving my ZAP for a few months, I notice some people in parking lots don't hear me coming. A few people at work have mentioned this to me as well.
I think a galloping horse sound as mentioned by another reply would be cool. Maybe add in a few grunts and whinnys too.

As for ICE cars, I now despise hearing them when I'm parked at a light. As I sit in vibration free silence, I hear and feel all the ICE cars parading by proudly displaying their servitude to Big Oil with dual exhaust systems with chrome tipped pipes. The masses are slaves to Chevron and their ilk, and they don't even know it. ICE is a monopolistic fraud... well...my opinion, anyway.

Hey Doctorbass,

I think the real reason that you are pursuing an ICE motor sound for your e-bike is to make one more try at actually getting served in a McDonalds drive-thru. Come on doc, fess up. :D

If I recall correctly from one of your earlier posts, the first time they wouldn't serve you was because your vehicle didn't have a steering wheel, and the second time they wouldn't serve you was because they said that you didn't have a motor. I suppose the second time was more irritating because you probably had a more powerful motor than the ICE scooter that got served in front of you. Maybe a motor sound will help, but I suspect that their next argument will probably be that you don't have a motor vehicle license plate on your e-bike.

good luck,
Joey

Joey said:
Hey Doctorbass,

I think the real reason that you are pursuing an ICE motor sound for your e-bike is to make one more try at actually getting served in a McDonalds drive-thru. Come on doc, fess up. :D

If I recall correctly from one of your earlier posts, the first time they wouldn't serve you was because your vehicle didn't have a steering wheel, and the second time they wouldn't serve you was because they said that you didn't have a motor. I suppose the second time was more irritating because you probably had a more powerful motor than the ICE scooter that got served in front of you. Maybe a motor sound will help, but I suspect that their next argument will probably be that you don't have a motor vehicle license plate on your e-bike.

good luck,
Joey

Eh... Thanks for remembering that issue :lol: i've complettly forgot! so many details you remember!! i'm impress! :wink:

At least i still have one of these restaurant that stoll accept to serve me !

Doc

I think you just have to look at electric vehicles as a totally different culture rather than trying to compare them with ice. I can see the positives of both and the roaring induction and exhaust sounds are not something a electric motor is meant to have.The performance is there with electric but the emotions are a little lacking.Stimulating the senses I think it what you would call it. Sound, Smell ,Touch,

I have gone from playing with 250hp hand built Honda motors. Sucking the fuel and air through 4 x 42mm R1 super bike carburettors just inches from were your sitting then combusting that fuel at up to 10,000 rpm and shooting it out through hand made exhaust systems flames and all.

Nothing can compare with that induction sound at full throttle under load.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1984-honda-civic-1500cc_78674.htm

http://www.motorchili.com/video/1951/Jordan-F1-Burnout

:idea: Watching some of the great bike videos with background music, got me thinking that the correct answer is not to install something to make noise to eliminate the safety issue of silent running, but instead install a stereo and play music. I have some tiny high efficiency amps that run on 12V and a variety of small high efficiency speakers, and I can hardly wait to get tunes on my bike. :mrgreen:

John

Back