The New (2009) EZip "StepThrough"

Just hit 5000 miles!
Still running nice and smooth.
Relacing (properly) the rear wheel has held up great, with no problems.

Retiring my recycled Lipo 25.9V 26Ah pack.
After 6000 miles
, (5000 miles on this bike), it is showing its age, while it still has double the range of a new oem 24V pack, it has less than 1/2 the range of when 1st built and capacity between banks is diverging. Additionally, "sag" under heavy throttle is noticeably worse.
Building a 25.9V 25.92Ah replacement with all new-never used, same manufacture date, recycled replacements. I am incorporating 3 overlapped laptop circuit boards across the 7 banks, hopefully taking advantage of their autobalancing function!

I lucked out ... the oem controller, in this bike, supports 24-36V+.
I carefully planned, then stuffed 8s12p 18650 cells into the oem eZip pack.
29.6V 31.2Ah!(33.6V fully charged)
Bumped my cruising speed from 19-20mph to 22-23mph+
A bit past the "legal" 20mph but should allow near 20mph on an unmodded eZip (with 29.6V capable controller).
Should produce a substantial speed and torque improvement!

I do intend on performing a thorough servicing: (every 5000 miles)
Clean and lube of all bearings, chains, cables, brake arms, suspension etc.
Inspect-replace motor brushes? (300h+ run time)
True wheels - try to smooth out a couple rear wheel "dings"
Inspect all electrical components, connections etc.

Gotta get her ready for the next 5000 miles!

Decided to service my Stepthrough, last full service was a few thousand miles ago.

Lubed and adjusted hubs, BB and steering column. I use heavy wheel bearing grease.
Removed, cleaned then lubricated the motor side and pedal side freewheels.
After cleaning, I heat freewheels to finger singeing temperature with a hair dryer then let 10w-40 motor oil drizzle into the seams.
Motors planetary gears were in good shape but teeth seemed lacking in lubrication so I worked grease into all the teeth plus an extra gob near the mesh region.

6000 miles on one chain was too much!
Chain was stretched and sloppy on the 9T motor sprocket and 16T freewheel.
This caused drive sprocket to drive chain one tooth at a time, which caused excessive sprocket wear.
Replaced chain, but chain disengaging from sprocket "snags" as it disengages.
Fortunately I had a spare 9T sprocket.

I recently lubed pedal chain, so just wiped it clean.

Considering replacing sloppy suspension seat post and seat with straight post and big gel seat.

Ready for a few thousand miles more!

OH! been running at 29.6V 31.2Ah for the last few hundred miles (8s12p Li-ion)
Fits in eZip RMB battery case and this 2009's controller accepts past 42V input (63V caps).

If I remove center posts and stagger cells just right ... I think I can squeeze 9s12p into the oem case!
33.3V 31.2Ah ... 108 x 3.7V x 2600mAh cells = 1038.96 Wh = 1.04kWh
(33.3V should motorvate an oem eZip at the USA "legal" 20mph with a 35% torque increase!)
Of course you need an older eZip, or upgrade to a 36V controller?

Seemingly this might sound like I am taking a big step backwards ...
I intend on negating all my regearing upgrades by putting the oem 20T motor side freewheel back on my 2009 eZip Trailz LS.

Although I am joyfully satisfied with the 3 years and 6000+ miles from my little Comfort Cruiser@25.9V w/16T mod, I gotta try some new ideas.

Reasons:

1. I have never run this bike by pedal only, so the stiff oem freewheel will not "drag me down".

2. 33.3V 31.2Ah of 18650 cells will squeeze into the oem eZip battery case.

3. The disadvantage of the 16T mod is the 20% torque loss at low speed. 100% x 16T/20T = 80% torque.
The advantage of 33.3V is 100% x 33.3V/24V = 138.75% torque.
138.75% / 80% = 1.734375% torque or a near 75% torque increase, over the 16Tmod, while maintaining the same 20mph speed!!!

4. With the oem 9T-20T gearing this will give me the USA "legal" 20mph.
OEM speed @24V is ~15mph. 15mph x 33.3V / 24V = 20.8125mph.

5. 450w x 33.3V / 24V = 624.375w motor output.

18 - 20mph level cruising speed, my typical mode, will not add any additional stress or heat to the motor!
Acceleration to cruising speed will, tho I intend on employing my present method of pedal assisting with moderated throttle.
Hopefully, hills might not be as damaging as imagined.
Maintaining a higher, more efficient motor speed, combined with a shorter duration "climb" might offset the greater watt throughput?

My purpose is to modify-improve ... while still maintaining "legal" status.
This looks to push the eZip as far as possible? ... affordably!

Well ...
37V with a 22T motor freewheel (Staton-inc.com)?
450w x 37V / 24V = 693.75w ... Maybe?
OEM speed @24V is ~15mph. 15mph x 37V / 24V = 23.125mph.
23.125mph x 20T / 22T = 21.022mph ... hmmm ...

Oh!
Rather than trying to straighten my 16T mod "bent" motor bracket, I intend on using my 12G spoke modded wheel and bracket, tho I might keep the "quiet" XYD-16 motor (6000 mile veteran).
I do have 1 super HD "Electric Bicycle" tire.
Might sell entire project to a 300lb+ acquaintance ... after testing of course.

33.3V Sanyo 18650 cell pack will be charged to 4.05V per cell.
Capacity mapping indicates this as being optimal voltage for good capacity ... with ~300% usable life!

I agree. There may have not been much of a felt difference on flatter terrain, but when it comes to hills it is best to carefully consider the whole system and the heat that the controller plus motor will feel. Also, no matter what battery chemistry someone is using, lowering the peak amp-draws is always good for the health and longevity of the pack.

I got spoiled !

2009 eZip LS runs a bit speedier at 33.3V.
But time to slow down and enjoy the view.

6800+ mile report

Did a full maintenance:
New Schwinn 26 x 2.125 Kevlar belted 65lb tires ... taller than old 2.125 tires, had to remove fenders. Will measure and adjust speedometer. (Just in time for pot hole season!)
Replaced ACS Southpaw (motor chain and sprocket replaced last Fall)
Greased both hubs, BB, motor reduction gears and headset.

Planned tasks:
New brake pads - soon
Replace grips - bit worn and scrapped from curb encounter
Battery rebuild (have NOS cells for 2 - 25.9V 25.92Ah builds)

Concerns:
Sloppy suspension post (might replace or revert to solid post and big padded seat - cheapest found post worked nicely for 2+ years and 3-4 thousand miles)
Some play in front fork (will restrict to 25.9V ≤20mph)

Next Battery:
2011 25.9V 26Ah pack has passed 7000 miles and still has better capacity than $400 eZip Lithium option. Am building 2 replacement packs using NOS (New Old Stock) never placed in service, cells. In original packaging with identical time stamp and consecutive serial numbers. After confirming no self discharge and capacity testing I will build with no external balance connector, will install internally ... for preliminary balance confirmation and scheduled monitoring.
7000+ mile pack was built with reject packs that would not charge. I expect much better from these new cells!

~8000 miles ...
Rear wheel hubs bearing race broke.
Rather than replacing with one of my recent wheel re-manufactures, I decided to incorporate the eZip wheel I re-laced with 12ga spokes & washers.

This wheel is extra heavy duty spoke wise anyhow.
Couldn't really think of a proper use.
Till I started using 33.3V and found a 22T LHS freewheel.
Result is a heavy duty near 20mph capable eaBike.
Respectable speed and increased hill or heavy rider capability.

I turned my 2009 Comfort Cruiser into my Heavy Hauler.
Best of all ...
With my standardized T-Plug motor disconnect, I can swap the wheel-motor to any of my other eaBikes in a few minutes!
Perfect for my Snow Beast!!@ ... Just gotta swap on the studded tire ...

After testing many batteries, many eBikes it seems obvious that the "loud" My1018z motor is slightly faster than the quieter XYD-16 motor.
Careful comparison seems to indicate a 105-110% speed advantage to the MY1018z, 19.5-20 mph for the XYD-16 vs 20.5-21.5mph for the MY1018z @ 25.9V (w/16T or 11T mods = nearly identical gearing)

XYD-16 motor, after 8000++ miles, is not nearly as quiet as originally.
Latest lubrication, I strive for maintenance every <2000 miles, failed to help noise level much, gears must be getting worn.
Had one motor with outside sprocket bearing failure so ordered replacements and added checking bearings as part of my maintenance list.

Gear reduction cover gasket in poor shape so I think I will take the suggestion of making gaskets from orange juice cartons and produce a few, for replacement during next services

Just decided to replace the XYD-16 motor, on the reduced gear 12ga HD wheel, with a MY1018Z.
This serves multiple purposes:
Will give a low mileage setup with a bit higher, possibly 20mph, speed.
Also give me a chance and excuse to replace gasket and try re-adjusting gear alignment on the XYD16 motor ... quiet is nice.
Gear box cover has a bit of play and fragmented old gasket was tricky to fit together, without even trying to align.
I intend on gaskets being wide enough outside the gearbox to allow durability in multiple adjustments and trials.
Preliminary adjustment will be by feel. pushing gear with fingers in both direction ... feeling for play and resistance.
Might also test by spin down time from low voltage-no load run?

Yes, I will have my coffee 1st and use care when testing-adjusting!
I saw this picture ...

file.php

DrkAngel said:
After testing many batteries, many eBikes it seems obvious that the "loud" My1018z motor is slightly faster than the quieter XYD-16 motor.
Careful comparison seems to indicate a 105-110% speed advantage to the MY1018z, 19.5-20 mph for the XYD-16 vs 20.5-21.5mph for the MY1018z @ 25.9V (w/16T or 11T mods = nearly identical gearing)
Just to be contrary ... ?
My freshly (11T-20T) regeared 2013 eZip w/XYD-16 motor and 25.9V LiPo ... is cruising at 20mph+.
Level travel and fresh economy charge 28.84V (4.12V per cell) ... bike hits 21+ mph.
10 miles later and will still maintain ~20mph.
Will test freshly lubed MY1018z w/9T-16 for direct comparison.
11/20 = .55 gear ratio
9/16 = .5625 gear ratio
Very close!

Yes ... unless you have an old pre-2010 eZip, I now recommend the 11T mod rather than the 16T mod!

20mph or bust.jpg

Of course 22T mod w/33.3V looks even better ... but requires controller upgrade ...

If! ... You are looking to maintain 20mph "legal".

Something I noticed, last Winter.
This bike seems to be jerky at first throttle, when cold.

Best guess is that at 8000+ miles, motor brushes are worn and springs don't allow proper contact till they get warm?
If true, this will mean I have 2 motors in need of new brushes.
OEM replacement brushes available from Australia ... at outrageous shipping, but becomes reasonable with combined purchases.
Will take apart and examine carefully ...
(Must examine bearings also, got spares when one went bad on MY1018 motor+)

Been running this bike overvolted by 33.3V battery, so brush wear was accelerated ... slightly.

I have 2 spare eZips with low mileage on motors.
Neighbor got front wheels ran over ... twice! 2 different bikes.
Got them cheap.
One MY1018 motor and one XYD-16 motor.
Will need to cut and add my quick disconnect feature.
Both his rear wheels require re-spokeing also, nice to have as spares,
Might rebuild both as full spare eBikes, got replacement wheels and forks, including one with disc brake ... 30mph eBike ... ?

Back