• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

The New More Stealthy E-Bike

The Frame
$99 WalMart Special Aluminum Frame with steel front fork.
Changed Rear Wheel out to a Thick wall Heavy Duty rim and 12 gauge spokes.
Heavy duty Coaster Braking hub.
Heavy Duty belted tire and tube with SLIME.
1/4 inch steel framed rack with seat remounted low and aft of stock.
Custom Lexan Twisted Flame Windshield.
Schwinn 3 LED high output Head light.
Schwinn 12 Function Bike Computer.

The Drive System
Manual power:
44T Front Sprocket/ 18T rear / 7 1/2in Cranks

Electric Assist System
Hub Motor
High power 750 watt hub motor (peak 1200 watts). Manufacturer Aotema.

Controller
There Standard 36V 25amp Controller
Mods:: Installed small amount of Solder on Current shunts inside controller
Replaced Caps in controller with heavy duty 100V Caps
Verified the Fets in controller are indeed able to handle 48Volts and should be able to pull 40 amps and not blow.
Installed a resister in the controller to compensate for the voltage Change to 48V and allow the Indication lights on the throttle to still work. This however Does not correct the Controllers preset Low voltage cutout.
Throttle Indicator lights will Change From Green to yellow @ 40 Volts. The Controller However will still allow it to run until the stock setting ~30volts. Not sure how this will effect the batteries so care is needed to not over Drain.
NoteI did not make the mods to the controller myself. It was done by a friend who has more knowledge of advance electronics then I do. If you want to make the mods I can e-mail him and ask what he did exactly. But you may be better off letting someone experienced do it . He also tested the controller under a sustained load @ full power @ 35 amps. And Tested its ability to take a load @ start up. His Electronic, mechanical and mathematical estimated that 50% throttle for a take off load would not hurt the controller. He took into consideration the weight of the bike,rider,batteries, and cargo in the trailer. Once it was on the bike however the sensorless design causes the motor to shutter some @ take off. So it is suggested to either help @ take off by peddling or just man power it to a good speed to save power and strain on the controller and forks.

The Trailer
A recycled Bicycle Kid Trailer that has a steel frame and was covered in cloth. The cloth was broken down and unsafe for use with children so it was all removed leaving only a shell.
Installed 3/4 MDF on base to form a strong bottom and Formed Lexan to make a light weight cowling. Then sanded and Painted it.
Installed New Wheels with better bearings.
10" Neon Tube installed on rear for High visibility in weather and @ night.

Batteries, Charging and Wiring
4 x 12volt 18ah SLA installed in the Trailer (17lbs x 4 = 68lbs) From Batterymart
Hoping To upgrade to 48v 21AH pings this summer and install them on the Bike instead.
All Wiring is 10g heavy duty copper stranded.
Holes are drilled in the forks and frame to route the wiring inside the tubes as much as possible.
Charger is Battery Defender 48 Volt 3.5 Amp Battery Charger Battery Mart Part #: ACC-4808-SRF Installed in Trailer.

COST
Bike $99
Rear Wheel $120
Hub and Controller $310
Batteries $130
Charger $160
Lexan $55
Wiring tape splices etc etc $60
Nuts bolts Etc $30
Head light $15
Neon Light $15
Bike Computer $15
Trailer Wheels and wood for floor $60
Total $1069 (The wife said I spent $1200 so I'm sure I missed something lol)

Road Tests
The Road test was was done on the roads in my local area. I don't want to get over complicated in my plotted course but I feel that realistic use is a key to determining a true range and its capability. So here is the coarse.

Outside Temp 29 degrees F. Wind 5MPH from the east gusting to 10mph.
..Start Home
..Leaving my Apartment there is snow in the parking lot and its was rather loose and sloppy snow. About a 600 yards to leave the complex the front end was slipping and jerking threw the snow and I had to give a good deal of man power to get threw the mess.
..Leaving the Complex turning right (South) the road is traveled but not plowed well as it is a secondary street. Down hill slightly about 1/2 mile Had to go a little slower due to the snow.
..Continuing on Secondary Roads south for about about 2 miles. Roads are traveled but not plowed well had to keep speed 12-15mph for safety. Found myself Tripoding with my feet to keep from ditching threw the ruts and drifts. The motor was powering threw it with my Nubby snow tires but you could hear the load on it for sure when the snow was thick.
..Turned west for About 2 miles stopping at Stop signs as one should do roads are the same condition still @ this point. some small hills not much over 1percent or so. Hardly noticeable.
..Turned North onto a main road. AT LAST SOME CLEAN STREETS. This leg was clean clear I was able to give it full power. The Grade was slightly uphill as I was traveling away from the river that was to the south. A couple good overpasses going over the interstate and some RR tracks. kept it @ full throttle.
..Turned East for 2 miles again main roads full power Minor hills and a couple more crossing the same interstate and RR again. The last 1/2 mile is a good 4-5% grade uphill.
.. End @ home.
The ride showed ~ 7.6 miles. Stopped @ the Apartment and checked the batteries. Still going strong 45.6 volts I was amazed. So I ran it again in the other direction. ending @ home again and the batteries Checked @ 42.2 volts.

So the total trip was 15.2 miles. Top Speed (on the downhills I'm sure) 34MPH. Average Speed 13MPH. on the flat areas I was getting ~ 24-26MPH

180185_10150106263274734_686344733_6165419_2630534_n.jpg

166654_10150106267954734_686344733_6165488_2159477_n.jpg

181459_10150106266064734_686344733_6165457_1025110_n.jpg

180616_10150106267024734_686344733_6165470_1211580_n.jpg

167529_10150106268279734_686344733_6165493_840913_n.jpg

FYI ..just incase you had not realised..
you spent approx $400 on your SLA batteries , charger and trailer to carry them.
you have effectively a 48v , 10Ahr capacity ( SLA's useful capacity)
for similar money you could have 10Ahr of Lipo ! ..mounted on the frame.

Don't forget he would also have to pay about $200 for a decent LiPo charger and power supply, but I agree, that's a lot to pay for SLA's, but you don't have to worry about them catching fire or worry as much about DOD as you would with any lithium battery.

I love the flames! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm curious, the fairing, was that just some plastic that you made into that shape, or did you modify something off the shelf? :)

LI-ghtcycle said:
I love the flames! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I'm curious, the fairing, was that just some plastic that you made into that shape, or did you modify something off the shelf? :)

The Fairing Was made of a 1/8 sheet of Lexan Cut it to shape including the flames. To get the major Curve I preheated my oven to 375. Put on some welding gloves. opened the oven 1/2 way then cranked it to 450. held it as faw in as I could till it got flexable and gave it a bend. Cooled it under a fan.

I then used the electric stove top on High to heat the flames and give them the bends. Drilled some holes and mounted a rod. If you try this 1 thing I noticed while practicing on scrap pieces was the lexan get foggy just @ the time it is realy flexable. after cooling it clears back up again. It looks a little yellowish in the pic think thats from lighting I asure your it is clear.

Hillhater said:
FYI ..just incase you had not realised..
you spent approx $400 on your SLA batteries , charger and trailer to carry them.
you have effectively a 48v , 10Ahr capacity ( SLA's useful capacity)
for similar money you could have 10Ahr of Lipo ! ..mounted on the frame.

Almost True but I already had the Trailer and charger from the 1st bike I built 2 years ago. This time around I only spent the $110ish on the batteries. A little on the big side yes but on the Trailer they don't seam all that hard to pull.

Also I use the Trailer To carry Groceries, Lumber, scrap, newspaper delivery, and Kids. It even has a 12v 2.5 amp portable heater I found @ Autozone For keeping the kids warm.

Hillhater said:
With the Turnigy 6s , 5Ahr, Lipos at $43 each.. you would have enough $$$'s for a good charger too!

and how many to get 48 Volts Don't those come in about 5 Volt packs so what like 10 to get close $43 x 10 = $430

TheKraftyRhino said:
Hillhater said:
With the Turnigy 6s , 5Ahr, Lipos at $43 each.. you would have enough $$$'s for a good charger too!

and how many to get 48 Volts Don't those come in about 5 Volt packs so what like 10 to get close $43 x 10 = $430

nope !
A "6s, 5Ahr" pack is 22.5 v nominal, 25v fully charged, so you need 2 in series for 44-50V, and 2 more in parallel for the 10Ahr equivalent to your SLA's.
IE :-..4x$43 = $172 total
..and total weight of less than 8.0 lbs !! :shock: ... i am sure you would notice that 60 lb weight reduction. :lol:
..And you would get much better performance from the Lipo and most likely more life !
Just keep it in mind for when your SLA's start to die. :wink:

Hillhater said:
nope !
A "6s, 5Ahr" pack is 22.5 v nominal, 25v fully charged, so you need 2 in series for 44-50V, and 2 more in parallel for the 10Ahr equivalent to your SLA's.
IE :-..4x$43 = $172 total
..and total weight of less than 8.0 lbs !! :shock: ... i am sure you would notice that 60 lb weight reduction. :lol:
..And you would get much better performance from the Lipo and most likely more life !
Just keep it in mind for when your SLA's start to die. :wink:

Well Fudge I looked @ those and I didn't see nothing but ~5-6Volts packs @ $20-30 a pop. If you have a link to the 22.5s please share so I can bookmark it. The lead sled is already on so any change @ this point will have to wait till July when I have the funds to build my 3rd bike. I have always run SLAs so I am use to there life span and I deal with the weight. But I pay $110 for 48V (4x12v) 18AH.

I wasn't aware of those batteries I just assumed LiFePo4 or Lead was my best options and the price difference is insane. But I would be willing to chuck out an extra $80 for 60 lbs less.

great looking bike, I really like the trailer. How old were the kids when they started riding in it? Mines only 2 mo's old, but it's never too early to start planning. :D

I just bought 3 2.6ah 22v batts and a charger for $109.53, including shipping and tax.

the batts were $23.06 each, and have a 30c rating. this should be able to do 66v, 40-60 amps peak, and the batteries weigh 450g each, so 3 LB's or so. this is just my testing the Lipo waters, you might want to consider something similar yourself when you have the cash.

Yep, on that bike, in your ninja outfit, you'll be absolutely invisible to the bad guys. Especially like the feathers on the headcap - is that a sign of rank? ... Oops, wait, that's a wall decoration, just looks like it did because of the camera angle :oops: . But, you ought to get yourself some feathers, anyhow, it just completes the whole outfit. :mrgreen:

Cameron

I too, think that lead weight is counter productive for E-bike build.
I'd recommend Lipo, they will leave your trailer almost empty, and ready to better carry anything else.
Another recommendation, would be not to sit on your controller, for your a** might not be a proper heatsink. :mrgreen:

aaronski said:
great looking bike, I really like the trailer. How old were the kids when they started riding in it? Mines only 2 mo's old, but it's never too early to start planning. :D

My kids are 4,2 1/2, and 1 year old. I have been hauling my kids since they was ~6 months old. For the wee ones I have a trailer with a roll cage and I installed the baby seat right in there. I don't suggest going real fast with an infant though just for safety reasons. For the Toddler and 4yo I bolted in one of those kids seats intended to mount on the back of a bike with the 5 point belts. I just hack sawed off the legs.

oldpiper said:
Yep, on that bike, in your ninja outfit, you'll be absolutely invisible to the bad guys. Especially like the feathers on the headcap - is that a sign of rank? ... Oops, wait, that's a wall decoration, just looks like it did because of the camera angle :oops: . But, you ought to get yourself some feathers, anyhow, it just completes the whole outfit. :mrgreen:

Cameron

Who Needs Feathers I have a POD.

168970_10150107077124734_686344733_6177919_5857248_n.jpg

MadRhino said:
Another recommendation, would be not to sit on your controller, for your a** might not be a proper heatsink. :mrgreen:

What you talking about my a** Keeps that controller @ 98.6Degrees. Believe me it sucks the heat up pritty good lol. Realy thou normally I ride on the seat but its winter here in Ohio and I just got in that habit of sitting back there. It's a nice seat er umm A** Warmer!!!

TheKraftyRhino said:
MadRhino said:

What you talking about my a** Keeps that controller @ 98.6Degrees. Believe me it sucks the heat up pritty good lol. Realy thou normally I ride on the seat but its winter here in Ohio and I just got in that habit of sitting back there. It's a nice seat er umm A** Warmer!!!

Lol...
What about in the summer? :p

Anyway i say get rid of those SLAs, or maybe better.. use them for a small solar installation to charge your lipos ;)

neptronix said:
Lol...
What about in the summer? :p

Anyway i say get rid of those SLAs, or maybe better.. use them for a small solar installation to charge your lipos ;)

In the Summer I just raise the seat and remove the windshield.

Back