The Perfect Kickstand... Ideas?

etard

100 kW
Sooo, I want to add a kickstand to my bike, but I dont want to add wieght in vain. Any suggestions would be welcome. This is the criteria:

1. It will need to be a two prong support
2. It will need to be under 2 pounds (3 kg)

I would except anything that has dual purpose, i.e. it can double as a tool, bottle opener, panty mirror (joking), etc... Even be wired with LED's. So please, if anybody has something to suggest, do it here

thanks,
Dave

etard said:
Sooo, I want to add a kickstand to my bike, but I dont want to add wieght in vain. Any suggestions would be welcome. This is the criteria:

I would except anything that has dual purpose, i.e. it can double as a tool, bottle opener, panty mirror (joking), etc... Even be wired with LED's. So please, if anybody has something to suggest, do it here

thanks,
Dave

Have u seen the one Reid is using on his cruiser? is a two prong item looks to be quite solid...soz no panty mirror on it but you could mod it! perhaps with a small spy camera LoL :p

few pics of it:-

CIMG4486.jpg

P1070615.jpg

Yep, I'm lookin for one also, http://www.comcycle-usa.com has them for sale just like the one above.

That's just one of the few modifications this winter for my ride.

Ried's bike has such a timeless appeal, and the things one could do with all that space in the triangle... But I am looking for something different, like I say, dual-purpose. Maybe something that expands like an antenae, or even one that has a knife in a sheath like a diving knife. I mean Doc gets his Bad Boy Charger, I want my 007 Kickstand, Dammit!

ChopersUS FTMFW
Half my trike is from there LOL One of the BEST online shops i have ever had the pleasure to deal with Alan FREAKIN roxz He's even more Gangsta than Methods...I knowz I Knowz HOW yur thinkin'!!!!!! wellz he drives a pimped out Hummer (and rides a kick ass Harley) not a Lecky in sight ;-P F**k the environment i say I'm with Alan, you only live once, let your sons sons sons sons worry about it , burn as much fossil fuel as humanly possible THEN MORE!!!11oneoneone..WHOOPS wrong forum for that isn't it ...my bad... heads back to http://www.burnasmuchfossilfuelashumanlypossible.com<---can't believe that URL isnt taken already :-| :p :p :p

etard said:
I mean Doc gets his Bad Boy Charger, I want my 007 Kickstand, Dammit!

Aussie V8 Supercars...pneumatic jack!!! tiz what i see you needing my friend...May the force be with you...and your telescopic jack (with spy cams) may they be strong and focused .. :: HICCUP:: bed time... :p

i have kickstand like the one in the pic below

it attach to the rear axle and makes the bike very stable.
chopper001.jpg

I like that very old school kickstand just above.
That's the kind of kickstand bikes used many decades ago.

It is perhaps a bit less convenient (??) than the forked model they still make.

Have found that the placement of my forked kickstand, fore or aft, by an inch or two,
affects in a good or bad way, the stability of the bike: that is: if it is too tall, it lifts the rear or front tire,
depending on its fore-aft placement.

I will make its final placement after I reinstall the 16 lb Ping and its basket and rack.
What matters: to not be hoisting the front wheel when in the stand-position;
this lets the front wheel with its reversed stem rotate 180 of its own accord, straining wires.

So, too, the height can be made correct: to just hold the bike without lifting the rear or front tire, much, if at all.
I will set it to barely lift the front tire only. This way the front wheel cannot 180, but only "90", if that much,
and it makes it easy, too, to shim under the kickstand with a tile or board, for free running/testing the front hub motor without load.
A pair of bungee cords, in that "test" position, keeps the front wheel pointing straight ahead.
This is a simple way of running for tests, without inverting the bike as we usually must otherwise do.

I like the forked kickstand very much. It is seemingly strong, self retracts upon take-off, and is easy to apply with the heel;
much easier to use and so much more stable, especially on turf, than a single-point, bike-leaning, conventional stand.

It will need custom fitting. Spacer, or grinding, etc. It will want, perhaps, a top, clamp plate (as you see I have done).

When I'm satisfied with the look and balance-point of this stand, I'll shape the top plate (it's 3/16" mild steel) for cosmetic conformation.
The stand and clamp will look factory-integrated to the bike.

Monty Python humour: I have tried not only a forked kickstand, but once, I used a knife kick stand. Sixty stitches.
Then I tried a spoon kickstand. Spilled my peas.
So, the fork-type, or the rear-U-type, seem to be the thing to go for.

It is possible for a rear, "U" type, depending on various factors, to rattle or bounce, when a hard tail bike takes a road beating at its tush.
Other than these above, I have no opinions on the subject. This is a good thing, to have no opinions: less confusing to all concerned, other than to myself. :wink:

Re da forked kickstand: If the bike is heavy, it sucks. I got one for sale, cheap. The problems are two fold, at least with a heavy bicycle. Probably the first is that it wants a level surface, this means no gentle slopes unless you can park "uphill". A mild slope sends the center of gravity off and the bike will not be stable. The likely doesn't mean much with a light bike but mine fairly heavy. Next is the mounting system. The stand is designed to accept ONE bolt in the center. ONE bolt will allow the stand to twist and you can use all the torque and loctite you, it will twist. Once it twists a little the next step is a lot and you'll come back and find you bike on the ground, battery pack scattered, everything you had mounted in disarray (experience).

Prior to this I used an aluminum kickstand from Wal-Mart. The first wasn't strong enough and broke so I bought another and reinforced it with a custom made piece of mahogeny and that worked pretty good but wasn't quite long enough. Then the forked unit and now a find from my LBS that mounts on the rear frame. It wasn't all that expensive, is fairly light and works better than anything I've tried, am in reality quite pleased with it.

If anyone wants I'll take a pic and post it but my advice in the meantime is steer away from the forked stand.

Mike

mvadventure said:
snip ... you'll come back and find your bike on the ground, battery pack scattered, everything you had mounted in disarray (experience).
Mike

Famous last words, and sooo true, everyone with kickstands, used often say the same painfull words.

Truth-be-told , there is always a tree or building nearby to lean your bike against, and they never fall down, you save $20 and 2lbs of weight also.

OK so we need something that extends sideways as much as out for stability, hilly slopes, etc... What about something like a camera tripod that is mounted on the seat tube, kicks out to the sides and extends down. This way you have four points of contact and could even extend further to act as a work stand. you could use two shafts from golf clubs (can be found at thrift stores for $5 or less, very lightweight) then just design a sliding mechanism along the seat tube that would go down to engage the shafts to the ground. I think it could be done at less than 2 lbs. Now if you could pressurize those poles to be able to fill one tire each, you could have one helluva self-contained unit. 8) What do you guys think? :p

Sounds like you might just need a boat anchor if the hills are that bad. I have the perfect 1 leg kickstand. No need for dual legs. Shoot, I've seen motorcycles with just one leg. Its all about having the right length and the right angle. This is a standard large greenfield kickstand. I think its the 305mm. The orginal kickstand was a greenfield but was too short for all the added weight with 30lbs of sla's. The bike would just tip over. I got the longer kickstand for like $7 bucks. I did have to "torque it" to get the right angle. But, when I switched to the bigger 26.5" tall hank tires, that messed up the angle again. So I made an extension out of some steel. Rolled it and hammered around the old kickstand, then grinded the end to match the ground angle. The kickstand is tapered at the end so what you do is form it around the small end and hammer it into shape. Then you hammer it on and it gets pressed into place, being held by "hash marks" engraved on the kickstand.(already there) I also used some rubber adheasive goop to make it hold better, not that it needed it. During the measurement process, there will be some trial and error to get the right length as the front wheel has to be able to turn back and forth without the bike falling over. Just keep grinding off more at the end till you get it right. Like this:

The anchor system: Just tie bike to anchor.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I bought a Greenfield rear kickstand for several reasons.

1. It has a nice fat rubber foot, so it won't scratch my floor, or damage the carpet in my basement.

2. It actually gives my bike a good lean, so it is very hard to "accidentally" knock over, in either direction.

3. My bike has a rear motor hub, and batteries in the rear as well. So,it is best supported by a kickstand in the rear vs the middle by the BBshell.

4. It was cheap. ~$17.00.

greenfield_rear_stay_kickst.jpg

1. It has a nice fat rubber foot, so it won't scratch my floor, or damage the carpet in my basement.
Mine will scratch the cement a little if you drag it. I figured a rubber foot wouldn't last very long anyway and would mess up the dimension once worn through.

AussieJester said:
etard said:

thanks,
Dave

Have u seen the one Reid is using on his cruiser? is a two prong item looks to be quite solid...soz no panty mirror on it but you could mod it! perhaps with a small spy camera LoL :p

i do believe that i was running this centerstand first! :eek:

IMG_4579.jpg

One of these seems to be a common solution, but I don't recommend it. The rubber feet fell of in the first couple weeks and the weld broke within 6 months. Maybe I got one made on a Friday.
Ks_badweld.JPG

So far I'm having better luck with one of these, it also weighs less.
better_ks.JPG

Closest I can think of to the camera tripod thing would be the Click-stand.
I've seen it used mostly on touring bikes, so it ought to be adequate... idk
http://www.bikingbis.com/blog/_archives/2008/3/17/3585430.html

Otherwise something in the style of the Greenfeild that Patriot posted, that mounts at the rear of the bike, altho they don't have the dual prong support like you want, but they work well enough to be my favorite type overall. Still stable with a 20kg cube bungie corded to the top of the rack, but for a loaded extracycle with a single of these at the rear it's not so good, tho it'll still hold it up but it's too far back so it's shaky, and adding a second one to the rear of the front bike makes the deck solid enough to sit on. Looks weird, but somehow extracycles always do anyways.

I'm having very good results with two stands, both cheapies, one on the center and one on the rear axle bolt. Pretty easy to put both up or down with one sweep of the leg once you get the hang of it. If one should fail, the other one can still hold. The greenfield looks great for the rear one.

I have been using the Greenfield for 2 years. its a good stand, sold localy by my LBS as "hey bobvy joe, we got any more of that kicker we sell them cops fer their bikes?" A.K.A., the police bike stand.
It held up my Schwinn with 40 pounds of SLA plus a picnic basket full of beer on a rear rack on uneven, hardpacked ground. the rubber foot kept it from sinking into grass unless it was over loaded.

But the center stand... I have one on my moped. even though the COG is only 18 inches off the ground, it still wants to tip over if you wack it with a broom while sweeping around it. ...

Back