The tipping point is just a few years out

billvon said:
To maintain a fair workplace? I agree.

Um not quite. I deliberately mentioned shareholders, partners, suppliers (a.k.a. "stakeholders"), and the environment as also being screwed by the current unbalanced system. The question being tiptoed around is how to restore balance to get to an ideal system of checks and balances (i.e. one where management doesn't hold all the cards)?

Michael

Problem we have is POLITICS.
The tipping point has come and gone the issues are more to do with what nipple we are used to suckling on, if the oil had dried up in the 90's do you think we would be immobile 20 years later ?

Nope things would change over time as they always do but the main issue we have I feel is not the tipping point of cars but the tipping point of AI when it has access to masters levels of education in all disciplines it will advance science at a pace never seen before.

Humans have used trial and error to get where we are and so will the AI but it can use extreme computational power to make lots of predictive models and use robots of it's own design as ours will be like Lego toys compared to what it designs along with a major overhaul of all the manufacturing machines we use to increase tolerances and make our achievements and existence from that point on meaning less we will have birthed our best creation that outshines us from even it's earliest days and will progress in ways we can not comprehend.

Ianhill said:
The tipping point has come and gone the issues are more to do with what nipple we are used to suckling on, if the oil had dried up in the 90's do you think we would be immobile 20 years later ?
I think the next "tipping point" will come when climate change deniers move en masse from "we're not affecting the climate!" to "it's too late to do anything about the climate!" I have a feeling many of them are praying for that day.

billvon said:
I think the next "tipping point" will come when climate change deniers move en masse from "we're not affecting the climate!" to "it's too late to do anything about the climate!" I have a feeling many of them are praying for that day.

Could be also beneficial for them to say "it's not happening all that fast, we have plenty of time to fix it"... and then continuing on the same path as before. The reason this may be beneficial, is because "too late" means they'll start preparing for end of the world instead, and that is another can of worms.

I think many CC believers have given up, just accepted the species is fvcked and Mother Gaia will be better off.

Our collective consciousness was given the facts long ago, and we chose short-term comfort and convenience over sustainability.

Yes a lot of misery for our kids / grandkids in the meantime, but really how many care about the future after they're dead?

That of course is the root of the problem.

john61ct said:
but really how many care about the future after they're dead?

Exactly. So the way to work around that is by emphasizing economic benefits as much as possible wherever possible. Difficult to do with some RE stuff, but certainly possible for EVs.

cricketo said:
Could be also beneficial for them to say "it's not happening all that fast, we have plenty of time to fix it"...
I don't think they are ever going to go there. Because then they are one sea-level-rise-disaster away from having to own up to their words. Much easier to say either "we didn't do it" or "yeah, some other people did it, but now it's too late, so why change?"

Back