Thread for new battery breakthrough PR releases

This battery was already mentioned in this thread, but there was no talk about energy density. Looks like they've since provided a little chart. So if you have typical 44g 18650 cell, according to this chart, that's about 4400mAh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJwZ9uEpJOo
http://powerjapanplus.com/battery/equation/

photo13.jpg

They're making some bold claims. Let's hope it sees the light of day.

jut said:
if you have typical 44g 18650 cell, according to this chart, that's about 4400mAh.
Yes , and with the 4-5 volt operating range, that means an 18650 is close to 20Whrs,.. or 500Whr/kg..
..such that a 100kWhr EV pack would weigh in at just over 200kg !

Lets hope Musk can get this sorted and churning out of his Mega factory !

On ES currently "Search found 143 matches: +Phostech" (Now 144).

Phostech Lithium inc:
http://www.phostechlithium.com/

Their last "What's New" dated Oct, 2012. And on their Press Room pages, their plant officially opened April, 2012.

But ZERO news since and via Goggle?

Anybuddy here know watts up with these folks? Just curious.

Holy Grail of the mobile device battery takes a big step closer to reality
"Of all the materials that one might use in an anode, lithium has the greatest potential. Some call it the Holy Grail," said Yi Cui, a professor of Material Science and Engineering and leader of the research team. "It is very lightweight and it has the highest energy density. You get more power per volume and weight, leading to lighter, smaller batteries with more power."
Stanford Foresees $25,000, 300-Mile EV Battery Range With New Honeycomb Battery
A research team from the Stanford School of Engineering has just figured out how to stabilize the lithium in a lithium-ion battery, and that could help bring the typical EV down to the level of mainstream affordability. The team is looking at a price point of $25,000 for an EV battery range of 300 miles, which would be competitive with a 40 mpg gasmobile...
... Now that Chu is back at his former position with Stanford Engineering, he has joined with research team leader Yi Cui and lead author Guangyuan Zheng in a paper published online yesterday in Nature Nanotechnology, titled “Interconnected hollow carbon nanospheres for stable lithium metal anodes,” which zeroes in on the dendrite problem..
...the results so far look promising. In tests the new lithium anode reached 99 percent efficiency over the course of 150 charge/discharge cycles... Earlier attempts at lithium anodes have petered out pretty quickly, attaining a top mark of 99.6 percent at the beginning and dropping down to 50 percent efficiency after just 100 cycles.
low-cost-EV-battery-e1406544916689.jpg

"price point of $25,000 for an EV battery range of 300 miles"

Perhaps left unsaid, a LARGE, HEAVY and HIGH SPEED vehicle (with lousy aerodynamics "built in").

EDIT:... and lots of empty seats.

Its about the li-ion battery, not where its put. Yea, the money folks want big batteries in big cars, which we here in the Light Electric Vehicle world know is stupid. The greatest energy efficiency, road safety and so forth are derived from taking the size and weight out of the vehicle. But electric cars are what are driving battery research, which benefits us all.

What I found interesting about this research publication is that Steven Chu, former Energy Secretary, is back at Standford and joined this particular effort. Its important because of the cast of characters, that its Standford, and they are honing in on a MAJOR advancement in the making of li-ion batteries that will significantly improved their energy density, per weight, and operational characteristics.

Hillhater said:
Technically, performance wise, it doesn't sound too flash, compared to the carbon/carbon proposal. .?
I think evolutionary battery technologies are going to enter the market before more exotic all new technologies arrive like magic supercaps made from graphene etc.

Interestingly it seems like pick your poison on the type of 'nano-method' to get there, this article first off talks about 'nano-honeycomb' then the more juicy bit is carbon 'nano-domes' are what really doing the trick to making pure lithium anodes.

Then it turns into calling them nano-spheres then settles on 'hollow carbon nano-spheres' then it gets into the main part which is 'interlocking carbon nano-spheres' layered on to the lithium anode. Then finally ends up calling it 'nano-comb'

I feel like eating a Crunchie bar now, do they have them in the northern hemi-sphere?
Who knows maybe the secret to the ultimate battery lays with in the Crunchie chocolate bar with its honey-comb core. They should sue!
images (1).jpg

I feel like this could be great jump forward for batteries that sounds reasonable enough to see in the near distance going to market.

That's weird because the NMC most are using ATM already has cobalt.....

It's the peroxide that makes it special. I read through the whole paper, it looked very good. These are exciting times for EVs. :D

6S 22Ah packs supposedly rated 60C/120C?

Woah. Anybody tried these yet?

cal3thousand said:
6S 22Ah packs supposedly rated 60C/120C?

Woah. Anybody tried these yet?

I only found these the other day and was wondering the same thing, ide love 3 of those packs and with only 40 Amps max being drawn ide love to know if anyone else has come across them, My mate showed me the site as he purchased 2 of the smaller packs 4 months ago and said they work fine on his Hellicopter but i emailed them 3 days ago and have not heard back from them yet.

As for the 60C/120C my mate said his were advertised like that also but if you take a look on the pack itself its only rated at 25C and not the 60/120C like they say.

They got back to me in regards to the 22.2v 60c 6s 16000mAh lipo battery and they gave me a price of $208 US each

http://yabopower.en.alibaba.com/product/1914578019-222074636/22_2v_60c_6s_16000mAh_lipo_battery_fit_for_quadcopter_DJI_S800_S1000_OnyxStar_FOX_C8_HD_Gryphon_X8.html

cn1511167413(2014-08-08 18:34:27):
ok, the price is 208USD/unit.

TotalConfusion said:
They got back to me in regards to the 22.2v 60c 6s 16000mAh lipo battery and they gave me a price of $208 US each

http://yabopower.en.alibaba.com/product/1914578019-222074636/22_2v_60c_6s_16000mAh_lipo_battery_fit_for_quadcopter_DJI_S800_S1000_OnyxStar_FOX_C8_HD_Gryphon_X8.html

cn1511167413(2014-08-08 18:34:27):
ok, the price is 208USD/unit.

150 cycles life? Those drones must eat them up!
otherDoc

"EV-Lite project closes with new EV battery design; lower weight, lower cost"
http://www.ecartec.de/en/news/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=1722&cHash=ec9eb7faee1498624db874f5c820367d

Bild_EV-Lite_project_closes_klein.jpg

"The project realized a 41% reduction in weight and a 63% reduction in cost of the non-cell components. This translates to a saving of 45 kg (99 lbs) at the battery pack level."

"The new battery design has no wire or screws; this step change in design has translated into significant improvements in battery pack assembly. When compared to a benchmarked battery the EV-Lite design has a parts count of 196 vs 807 for a 4 kWh-sized module. The project also devised a novel safety feature to isolate cells in an accident and a novel battery interface system. Five patent applications have resulted. "

""Using nickel and iron, which are cheap materials, we were able to make the electrocatalysts active enough to split water at room temperature with a single 1.5-V battery," said Hongjie Dai, a professor of chemistry at Stanford. "This is the first time anyone has used non-precious metal catalysts to split water at a voltage that low. It's quite remarkable, because normally you need expensive metals, like platinum or iridium, to achieve that voltage."

http://www.rdmag.com/videos/2014/08/scientists-develop-water-splitter-runs-ordinary-aaa-battery

Back