Throttle Problem x2

Glenn_M

10 W
Hi All,
Putting together an electric quad conversion for my kids. Replacing the motor of a 49cc quad with a 350W electric job.
Everything going fine until wiring up the throttle.

1. Cheap three wire hall effect throttle that came with the kit. Motor would not respond to the throttle - just stuck on about half speed. Did the usual checks, found that the sensing wire was reporting a constant 2.3V. So (as you do) I pulled it apart to see what was up. Ended up breaking the wires off the hall sensor - end of throttle 1.

2. Thumb throttle with 24V battery level meter. Wired in and set to go. Meter works fine. Try the throttle - no motion. Constant 0.32V on the sensing wire. Thinking now it was the controller I applied an external 1-5V to the sensing wire input to the controller. All working fine so seems to be the throttle again. Pull apart - no broken wires, shorts visible. Apply 4.5V directly to the output pin on the hall sensor and controller/motor all fine.

Again no variation from throttle sensing wire.

What are my chances of two stuffed throttles? They are both cheapies - can't seem to find a reasonable quality one in Oz (and how would I tell?)

Or is there something I have forgotten? Search the forums and checked all the common things that seem to cause problems (controller working, brakes, LVC etc to no avail)

Have I missed something obvious?
Did I get two dub throttles?
Any ideas on getting a good one, preferably in Oz?
Do I need to face SSW, click my heels three times and whisper "There's nothing like ebikes" wearing a cape and my undies on the outside?

Any help appreciated,

Glenn

Several people sell throttles but the choices are pretty limited. A few of us have had some real issues; mine physically failed and came off my handlebar this week in the middle of an intersection. There's a good thread here on the merits and pitfalls here:

Hall throttle connector part number/New throttle development

But I think if you just do an Interent search for "ebike throttle" you'll come up with quite a few suppliers :)

Best, KF

Back