Thumb Throttle Oddity & Speed Limit?

FloRidaR

10 µW
Hi Guys.
New EBike builder here. Very fluent in most electronics and mechanics, but some issues require a second pair of eyes. So I am jumping right into the fire here and shooting off my questions :)

I recently purchased a 48v 1000w kit from eBay and wired it all up with my 4 12v 20ah SLA batteries. Upon first run, everything works spectacular as one would expect as a new EBike builder. Except.....

1) Thumb Trottle...
This is an oddity. All the way up (no throttle or not depressed) motor doesn't go (or sometimes does but snails pace), and throttle completely depressed (full throttle) motor does not go (or sometimes does but snails pace) ... Full throttle seems to be dead center of the range of motion from nondepressed to fully depressed.

A) Is this normal?
(I don't think it is)

B) How can I fix it?
(I am guessing the magnets inside that affect the hall sensor are jacked up.)

2) Speed Limit...
I have watched many many videos of the 48v 1000w ebike kits, many versions, etc. I was under the impression that an average weighted rider on flat ground with still wind (no wind speed at idle) would hit close to 30mph. I feel I am maxing out at 20mph. I understand weight, terrain, wind, tire pressure, riding skill and bike type, etc all have a play in this. I am sure my 50lbs of batteries doesn't help, but I figured I would ask anyway.

NOTE: I've read in quite a few places that 1000w controllers will default to 750w, etc to adhere to Federal Bicycle Speedlimit Standards. And there is an option or a way to switch it to a full 1000w... I am wondering if this is what I am facing?

A) Is there a speed limiter within the controller?

B) Is there a way to bypass this?

Thank You VERY much for anyone who can shed some light on ANY of this :)

~Daniel

Your throttle is broken. the stops are only thinplastic. if you push to hard, or bang them, they break and they get over-riden.

This is how the throttle works: there's a single hall sensor that gives 2.5v when no magnets are present. that's equivalent to half-throttle. To get zero throttle, a south-facing magnet has to be up against the hall sensor, which gives about 1,2v. To get full throttle, a north-facing magnet has to be against the hall sensor, which gives about 3.8v. The stops are designed to stop the magnet in the correct positions so that the south magnet is held against the hall sensor when the throttle spring pulls the throttle back, and you can bring the north magnet to the hall sensor when you open the throttle to it's full-throttle stop.

The other possibility is that a magnet has detached, but I think it's you full-throttle stop that's broken, so you're continuing past it.

Thank You!!

I fixed the throttle stop issue and reseated/glued the hall sensor. I used a hardened steel metal pin slid through a hole in the movable throttle part to actually stop the throttle going past the internal stops. WHen I went out for a test run, I was in shock at how fast I was actually able to go now. Well over 30mph.

I am very happy!

Thank You again!

Back