Tiny starter Aquaponics kit..

they look ok, i actually let the root zone dry out almost completely in between waterings (but never completely dry). also yeah your in the tropics but roots are usually on the ground, a cooler microclimate. 78 is pushing it but mabye store the water in a pit dug into ground.....with plenty of bubblessss

http://jxb.oxfordjournals.org/content/51/343/239.short

The fish tank actually is 12" into the ground, and, the plastic liner sits right on the dirt bottom.

If I adjust the water flow for it to take longer to fill, it will mess up the bell siphons. The system being 12V will be tough to find a timer, to help with drying the roots off some more.

It's good to have a live person to critique my system. Thanks for the advice, Hydro-one.

Harold

Got a few minutes while waiting for breakfast, so, Here are a few updated photos. We have moved some of the plants to where he white gallon jug of Fish food is sitting, and, there are several new peppers hanging on some of the plants. I keep the door propped open during the day, until the pre-rain clouds form and send gusts of wind into the green house, so, one of us will close the door. We don't get but 1-2 honey bees inside, so, as the blossoms appear, I hand pollenate them.

We have new plants coming up and I transplant them into 2" net pots, plastic pots with grooves, so I can move the plants later, if need be, by simply lifting them from one grow bed and placing somewhere else. We moved 3--3 foot tall tomato plants to outside the green house. I run a whole house type cartridge filter for 4-5 hours, once a week, to clean up the water, and, wash out the cartridge in a bucket, and use that to water the tomato plants.

We have a few yellow squash plants that are really taking off, and several types of lettuce, along with some Costa Rican vegetable plants my wife started.

The fish are now up to 6" long, from 2"-3" starting out 5 weeks ago. System is settling in now, and things are doing much better. I have 2 small air pumps I bought that supply lots of aeration in the fish tank, and, we have not lost any fish from day one. Adding more plants to waiting grow beds takes more adjusting of water flow, so the automatic syphon drains in each grow bed works correctly. Today, I need to wash and strain more crushed rock and start u 1 more grow bed. I will hook up a different water pump, and take the 2 bilge pumps out of the system. They will be used in the second fish tank, once I need to build it and add grow beds above it.

Anyone seeing something I need to be aware of, just chime in. :mrgreen:

Damn, these photos are only a few days old. I need to get some new ones and show the growth. :shock: :roll:

GH1.jpg

GH2.jpg

GH3.jpg

GH4.jpg

GH5.jpg

GH6.jpg

GH7.jpg

Back