Trade war USA vs China

Read the thread with interest. A few points I would like to share with the group.

First, I am a Trader between China and US. Born and raised in Washington, and I have been to China numerous time since 2004. Many HUGE change.

From my perspective, we are fed propoganda through the MSM that skews reality between both sides really.

Thier inflation over there is fueled by servicing our debt. We need them as our debt host.

I hear talk of how they are manipulating currency that sends jobs their direction. In 2004 the currency exchange was 12.57 RMB to the dollar. Now it is around 6 RMB to the dollar and accelerating downward. This is casing REAL inflation of our purchasing power here. I shudder to think if they actually decelerate the purchase of our T Bills, and unpeg the currency completly.

This trend allows us to have cheaper goods to sell there, but we manufacture most everything there. Even Budweiser is brewed there now and an be bought for around 50 cents for a 22 oz bottle. The computer industry still has a stranglehold though. Even though the computers are manufactured ther, name brands are at a 25 to 30 percent premium, but accesories are deeply discounted. I paid 6 usd for a nice wireless Logitech mouse for my laptop. In 2004 it would have been around 2.75 for the same thing just to point how much our purchasing power has already been lost.

The classes are still greatly divided, but the midle class is rising very rapidly there. Vietnam has now become THEIR manufacturing spotlight because as pointed out, goods are really not that cheap there anymore.

And I see that they will continue to accelerate the middle class. WHY? Education!

I recently staye two weeks with a family and their youngest daughter is a senior in High School. She started school at 7 am and got a 1.5 hour break for lunch to go home and be with family. Then back to school to finish at 10 pm. This is 6 days a wek. They only have a half day on Sunday. This is the norm there although some cities ban school hours on weekends altogether, but they are few.

China is more capitalistic than we are. Businesses pay their 20 percent tax and go, go , go! Businesses are left alone, in fact if they recycle and reclaim they get tax breaks, and many companies provide low cost housing purchase options.

We could learn some things from them as well as they from us. Germany has a very close business/ education relationship with China and it works both ways. I often wonder why our government would not want the same.

Just a few observations of my own. Thanks for reading.

Thank you very much for your insight.

From everything i've read, China is a far better business environment, even though they are a communist country. I am a young person, only 30 years old.. but from what i know, the biz enviro. there is much how America was until the 1950's-1970's.

We were China at one point. Everything was made in the midwest. It's our poorly managed govt. that put our manufacturing out of work. On the upside you can buy a house in the inner Michigan wasteland for $1 now.... :cry:

Now we get bailouts, more and more poorly designed regulations, and so forth. We also get to subsidize our own solar companies and probably lose money on them. Then we subsidize our own panels.

If you think in terms of a free market, it's China that loses by selling things below cost and dumping, and 'manipulating' their currency.. why not let them do the bleeding?

deVries said:
The truth is there is waayyy too much concentrated wealth in this country, and most of that wealth was/is created by "stealing" from the middle class & increasing the poor using tax laws and "legalized" financial fraud to increase the extreme wealth of those earning well over $150,000 per year especially for Wall Street & Banking interests.

Talking about wealth concentration...if you think too much money is involved in USA politics...China is corrupt on a whole other level:

"The net worth of the 70 richest delegates in China’s National People’s Congress, which opens its annual session on March 5, rose to 565.8 billion yuan ($89.8 billion) in 2011, a gain of $11.5 billion from 2010, according to figures from the Hurun Report, which tracks the country’s wealthy. That compares to the $7.5 billion net worth of all 660 top officials in the three branches of the U.S. government."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-02-26/china-s-billionaire-lawmakers-make-u-s-peers-look-like-paupers.html

We are all slaves and most don't even know it. Work faster. Work harder. Now 7am-10pm in school 6 days per week and a half day Sunday to program the robots. Compete or die! The slave masters whisper. GO GO GO!

Buncha sucka's

No one should ever work.

Workers of the world. . . relax!

Most American business executives that are sent to China on assignment cant wait to leave there.

Some high paying execs even quit their jobs because they dont want to relocate their family to a polluted communist country.

I don't think it will last. The west has driven up living and working standards, the cost is you can't manufacture things for a pittance.

I'm confident the same will happen in China. Each generation forgets how bad things were for their grandparents and so wants better for themselves.

For the Far East in general things could well go bad for them in the future.

Look at the waves of revolution in the Middle East, times are changing. The political corruption already mentioned in China could cause an implosion.

China has a rapidly aging population. They're currently reversing the "one child" policy in order to try and avert a future disaster.

IIRC crop yields are becoming a problem. Arable land has been exhausted (I recall consistantly falling crop yields over the last five years or so).

If global warming continues/happens the above will become worse. Also consider that many parts of the world are currently struggling with (even fighting over) water shortages. If rising global temperatures turns already dry parts of the world into desert, I reckon there'll be a shift of power back to the West, with it's more temperature climes.

Going back to reality, many have mooted sub-saharan Africa as the next source of cheap manufacturing. In fact, witness the rampant growth of Chinese business in many African countries!

Supposedly by 2015 we will start seeing jobs trickle back to the US. Cost of doing business in Asia keeps going up. Here in the US we are stilling on more natural gas than Saudi Arabia has oil. So energy costs should continue to decline. Corporations are upset about intellictual property theft. Call centers in India and Phillipines are stealing your credit info and reselling it. All of this plus more problems add up. Sending operations overseas is not as attractive as it once was. I also think out of work Americans are seeing the bigger picture of globalization.

http://www.mhia.org/news/industry/11068/seven-sectors-could-lead-u-s--manufacturing-renaissance-by-2015

Dude Obama has been running around saying mitt romney's outsourced jobs to china which is not true. The president has had 3.5 years to label china a currency manipulator and has failed to do so .. anytime the president talks tough on china I just have to laugh. Romney is the only one saying we need to level the playing field business wise.

China's Baotou Group buys nine rare-earth miners
By MarketWatch
BEIJING--Inner Mongolia Baotou Steel Rare-Earth (Group) Hi-Tech Co. Ltd. (600111.SH), China's largest rare-earth producer, said Friday that it has acquired nine rare-earth mining companies from the local government of the Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region.

"Baotou will properly manage the strategic conservation and development of rare-earth resources, to set the foundation for a national rare-earth group," the company said in a filing to the Shanghai Stock Exchange.

Baotou's consolidation of regional miners comes as state media said Friday that rare-earth production quotas, mining permits and other policies will be coordinated in China by a new state-backed group.

Baotou, China Minmetals Corp., Aluminum Corp. of China, Ganzhou Rare Earth Group Co. Ltd., Guangdong Rising Nonferrous Metal Co. Ltd. and Xiamen Tungsten Co. Ltd. (600549.SH) are included in the group.

China controls about 80% of the world's rare earths, and Beijing says the industry is fragmented and plagued by smuggling. Rare earths are used in the manufacture of products from mobile telephones to missile systems.

Write to Chuin-Wei Yap at chuin-wei.yap@wsj.com

Back