• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

training wheels

atom1025

100 W
So I'm 6'3" tall and the wife 6'1. Both skinny. Needless to say our son was four foot at age four. Finding bikes his size was not easy. The short little cranks made it awkward for his longness.

So 20" is to big 16"to small. I found an 18" at walmart that fit him great and longer cranks.

I bought these at walmart. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000ASI5X

Really neat as it allows the child to lean into turns naturally. Lots of bad reviews and id have to assume the complaints came from parents with obese or large children who exceeded the springs resistance. My kids as tall as he is heavy so hes light.

Very smart intuitive design that I recommend to others teaching there kids.

My kids Learned to ride without training wheels when they were 3 yrs old and 5 years old. Take the pedals off the bike and have the kid "scoot" using his feet to propel. After a few weeks when he can glide without pedaling And steer, put the pedals on and they go by themselves. No holding on to them or running after them. No crashing. Google videos of this method. It works!

upward said:
My kids Learned to ride without training wheels when they were 3 yrs old and 5 years old. Take the pedals off the bike and have the kid "scoot" using his feet to propel. After a few weeks when he can glide without pedaling And steer, put the pedals on and they go by themselves. No holding on to them or running after them. No crashing. Google videos of this method. It works!
That sounds great. Makes sense to me. I wish I knew this when I taught my kids 20 years ago.

I learned to ride in the front yard on the grass on a bmx bike with no training wheels. It's kind of like getting thrown into the pool for the first time, either sink or swim. I was also a tall kid and I'm 6'3" now and I didn't have mean parents they just thought it was the best way to learn.

I learned to ride on my sister's 24" cruiser step-through frame. We had an appx. 24" high block wall about 24 feet long running next to the sidewalk that you skinned your legs on which only let you fall one way. After about 24 minutes falling on one side and skinning the other and reversing direction every 24 seconds or so, I rode off down the sidewalk on "my" "new" two-wheeler. She got a Schwinn Collegiate 3 speed 26" 24 hours later. :lol:
My daughter had two different sizes of Barbie/Princess girl's midgets with training wheels. When she outgrew the larger one we got her a 20" B/P with no training wheels. On her first ride (to my surprise), she took off down the sidewalk and didn't look back; going about 100 yards till she stopped, turned it around, and rode all the way back by herself. :shock:
My wife says she was older; and learned by coasting, then pedaling, on a full sized bike. :eek:

Back