Trouble With the Car You're Still driving?

Dauntless said:
Oh,my very first thought was how easily I could make it if only I hd the facility to put it together in. . ...
Gotta say, the mill, doubling as a drill press, almost seems justifiable. ....
For a one off part like that , i would not even buy a new drill bit.
Have you forgotten how to use hand tools ?
Hacksaw ( 4” angle grinder )
Hand file (4” angle grinder ?)
Drill
Tap set (if necessary )
Emery cloth to polish it up. ( 4” flap wheel in that grinder ?)

Look at the delivery dates on the part you put up there. Mine comes next week, supposedly. I'd have paid twice that to have Dr. Who show up in his Tardis with it maybe before the factory part broke. It's on eBay for $12 with shipping but you never know how often they come through with their promised delivery. I just want my damn part.

I've been making these parts, as mentioned on occasion, the question about hand tools was ridiculous. I used the drill bits and taps I've long ago bought. I walked into the one place here recently trying to buy the mill bit index from their catalog but the order was more than the guy at the desk could handle. I would hope he was temporary but I ever got back down there. I wish I'd gone ahead and made the trip to Shurr Metals (I assume they're still there) for a piece of what would work but once the car is off the road I won't survive the trip on a bike just yet. Too bad they don't stock the right metal in the hardware store that's just a 10 mile round trip. Or that what wasn't stolen or simply worn out from my experiments with the electrics before the accident wasn't ready for the 20+ mile partially highway round trip.

Have you ever actually done the hacksawing you're describing there? Maybe you could make a video and we could watch the highlights. I mean stranded on a desert island, we'd probably get that done eventually. My idea would have been to use my chopsaw that I have set up for metal, boring 1" deep 3/8" hole and 3/4" wide straight through 3/4" thick wouldn't be terribly hard even if I don't have the setup to do the precision I'd really need with a hand drill. The little set screw wouldn't bed hard. I guess I could take pride in such a ridiculous effort, though a mill would be what puts the best finish to the job. . . .

Never mind that, have you ever drilled a hole in a speed nut, a clevis clip, or similar? I was able to ream out the #8 hole to 9/32" easy enough, but somehow it's a piece of metal that's tough AND flexible enough (Not surprising) that I just can't start another hole to create a slide on pathway for my clip. . . .

Ah well, I'll take another crack at it later. I think I'll walk to the store and get some of their chicken that's better than KFC.

I am with Hillhater on this apt example. 1 hour for an engineering apprentice using hand tools. No trolling I don't understand why you think it would be difficult.

Umm maybe the fact that I've already made several that way and they don't last. Also I just suggest your remember Hillhater knows I'm not an engineering apprentice and you're supposed to follow that this is more banter than anything.

Meanwhile, how in the world do I cut the slot in the damn speed nut so I can use it as a clip? This without bending the hell of it and rendering it useless?

Ribiero said:
How have they failed?

They don't last long until they break. Amazing the seeming stress level, though I assume the pedal wobbles about in a manner unintended anymore and that helps them break. The new clip will help hold it in place some, we'll see how much difference it makes.

In fact, while all these backseat engineering apprentices were daydreaming of past glories they wish they could have achieved only I have come up with the solution to today's engineering problem of cutting the slot in the damn speednut without bending it into unusability. Fits perfectly. So until the latest part effort breaks, I can drive between now and the arrival of the proper parts.

(Before and after pic.)

Clip.jpg

Dauntless said:
Meanwhile, how in the world do I cut the slot in the damn speed nut so I can use it as a clip? This without bending the hell of it and rendering it useless?
Short answer ...Dremmel, with a cutting wheel.
The right answer....dont ..go to the car shop and get a new nut with the slot in.

markz said:
Dauntless said:
I can drive

until the next issue

Yeah, I do believe that was the part of the statement you cut off. I'm actually doing most of my shifting without the clutch right now trying to forestall the next failure, but this is the most reinforced part I've made yet, I've got some alloy tubing from previous parts that failed bolted to each side.

Hillhater said:
Dauntless said:
Short answer ...Dremmel, with a cutting wheel.
The right answer....dont ..go to the car shop and get a new nut with the slot in.

Actually I have a dremel SOMEWHERE that I bought before the accident, anticipating doing things using one. I found myself wondering where I'd put it, but I'd guess it's buried in the garage. . . .

Dang, it's another thread where I mentioned the dealer wouldn't get me one. You made an honest mistake on that. (Unless you read the other thread. Seeing as how people follow me around because I'm the hottest thing in this community. . . .) First they tell me it's not on the diagram and they can't get me one separate and I have to buy a whole new pedal assembly to get the little clip. Riiiiiiiiight. Then I find a Mustang messageboard where a guy claiming to be a Ford dealer parts manager gave the part number. I rushed down to the dealer but would you believe they close at 3 these days? So I ordered it online just in case, but I went back the next day and danged if the guy didn't find a diagram with it in there once he had that number. What a shock, right? Only it could take weeks, as I've gone through with Ford parts the whole time I've had this car.

So when the other part comes, around the same time 4 of these clips will come and i'll be set. But in the meantime while i wasn't here responding to your posts, I was going a few places.

https://centreforapprenticeships.co.uk/vacancy/1597528/

https://www.baesystems.com/en/our-company/our-businesses/military-air---information/apprenticeships-in-lancashire/craft-apprentices

Glad you're sorted. My concern wasn't about how you would repair the linkage 'many ways to skin a cat' more that you could potentialy be without transport during a coronavirus lockdown.

Ribiero said:
Glad you're sorted. My concern wasn't about how you would repair the linkage 'many ways to skin a cat' more that you could potentialy be without transport during a coronavirus lockdown.

Yeah, no where to go, waiting for the California Governor Gruesome to issue shoot to kill orders if you're seen outside, definitely need the car NOW. Ah, what if we had an evacuation order? Damn, I want my parts FIRST before I gotta drive off somewhere. I'll never get them if we gotta go.

Hey, the part came today. I was hoping I'd found the one that would come quick. Now if I can get the new clips. The part and clip I made are doing fine. It's going well.

Back