Unbalanced Pack Help

Just wanted your thoughts on this. I built a 280 cell pack using all new cells. I never put the cells in parallel.

I checked after 1 riding season and all the cells seem to be perfectly balanced.

Do you think it would be crazy risky to do another riding season without putting them in parallel? Should I just stop being lazy and parallel weld all the cells together and hook up my BMS?

Offroader said:
Just wanted your thoughts on this. I built a 280 cell pack using all new cells. I never put the cells in parallel.

I checked after 1 riding season and all the cells seem to be perfectly balanced.

Do you think it would be crazy risky to do another riding season without putting them in parallel? Should I just stop being lazy and parallel weld all the cells together and hook up my BMS?

Paralleling is not a good way to balance cells iMHO. If cells are not at the same voltage and you parallele them, the highest voltage ones will dump massive current in the lowest voltage ones... Internal resistance of cells can be quite low... meaning the current dumped could be quite high, thus exceeding the manufacturer recommended charged rate... damaging cells.

Parallel cells only if they are very close in voltage. How close is "very close".... It depends on the internal resitance of the cells. few millivolts to tenths of mV is generally okay for 20 milliOhms DC IR Sony VTC4 cells....

Back