UPP Triangle Limits - 52v 28.8Ah LG21700 14S6P

Hayds13

1 W
I’ve just changed from 6yr old Multistar Lipo batteries to Unit Power Pack (UPP) Triangle Battery 52v 28.8Ah LG (50A BMS).

Q1. Product spec from UPP says max 2000w motor. The BMS is rated for 50A. And the LG batteries should take 50Ah peaks. Will this battery be happy at 50A?

Q2. I’m currently running regen braking at 30A on lipos. Should I reduce regen this for this pack?

For how long at 50a?

Probably not the best to run it at max for long periods of time, probably best to go 80a, limit to 50a, if you want 50a frequently. It would last longer because you arent stressing the batt's as much. Not warming them up, like a bicyclist at their max the person gets tired, best for the bicyclist to just ride slow and casually to last longer riding the bike.

2500w peak and 1500w for the majority of the time will be good, get away with more time at 2500w but its there if you need it.

hub or mid drive?

lipo from hobbyking need to be derated from what they state by 50%, if they say its 80c then play it safe and only use it to 40c. There is such a wide variety of quality in the lipo arena. So to your question, it depends what is your lipo manufacturer?

Last edited:
2500w peak and 1500w for the majority of the time will be good, get away with more time at 2500w but its there if you need it.

hub or mid drive?

lipo from hobbyking need to be derated from what they state by 50%, if they say its 80c then play it safe and only use it to 40c. There is such a wide variety of quality in the lipo arena. So to your question, it depends what is your lipo manufacturer?
Thanks Calab. Just running the UPP pack on this bike now. Direct Drive on the front wheel and Mac geared motor on the rear. Front is being used for regen (for the last 10,000km or so). I guess the remaining question is: Can this pack take 30a of regen? (no long hills in my area)

To answer my own question on Max regen for this battery…spec sheet says Max. (Constant) Charge Current is:

0.3C (0-25 celsius) = 8.84Amps
0.7C (25-50 celsius) = 20.16Amps

Local temp is about 10-20 celsius for me. I guess the battery will heat up a little when discharging. I’m only regen braking on short hills (charging in bursts). So I’ll likely set regen at 20Amps. And would consider 30Amps the max (around 1C).

Happy to hear anyone's recommendations.

Back