Various Controller and Winding Combinations {X5's, 20"}

Hi folks.

I am thinking of investing in a 24 Fet 100v+ controller for the first time.

Right now, I have a Lyen 72v 18 Fet 4110 which is offering up a lot of fun but not too much high-end speed with my X5305 in a 20" BMX build. It is the lack of final top-end that is prompting me to go up to 100v and into the faster-winds. I can dog that controller and the X5, take out all kinds of hills and trails and the controller barely gets warm. The motor also gets barely-warm. No pedalling. Dead-starts. Savage hills. No problem. Its a super efficient system. But I would love a bit more top-end. I absolutely hate flattening-out. I also hate only pulling 2880 watts out of a system which I know can throw up more {8.8Ah 24S A123}

I have a 20" 5303 and a 5304 which is not laced into any wheel. Ialso have an 8X8 generic 9C knock-off.

After some discussion with IceCube578 I became better acquainted with the roles played by BEMF, wheel size etc and the different behavioural aspects of the different windings of the X5 series.

Should I therefore reserve the 24 Fet controller for the X5303, and hope the 24 Fet keeps me clear of the common issues associated with faster-winds, or should I put the 100v 24Fet onto the X5305, and allow the X5305 to take good care of the 4115 Fet's and enjoy the best of both worlds??

This means my X5303 would still have great top-end @72v, and the 4110 Mosfet's would not be so prone to over-heating, but I am now pretty much walking a fine-line and there is no way the X5303 will be so kind to the controller at 72v as the X5305. I will also lose a tonne of climbing ability and will have to maintain higher initial speeds than the X5305 which would itself take out the same hills from a dead-stop.

All and any suggestions would be welcome.

Well I have been using a ruck-sack at present with a 4.4Ah 72v battery in it, just for testing. Preliminary testing has revealed lots of school-boys asking for go's. It has also revealed that suspension and front disc brakes, as minimum, are required.

The BMX Has had its crank and pedals removed to create room on either side to mount a box.
Then a 36v 8.8Ah goes into each side with the packs wired in series.
Cheers
Volt.

Back