vlcd5 issue

arjano

1 µW
Hi,

Just build my first conversion on my excisting bike.
Setup is a 36v/350w tsdz2 with the vlcd5.
No throttle, no ebrakes.

Testride it for an hour.
First half our it worked like a charm, except for the speedo.
It reads 99,9.
After entering the submenu severall times to adjust parameters the vlcd5 locked up.
Display says 9999 miles (setting was km/h) after reboot.
SEr in the screen, or rebooting and 00.0 mile/h

Cant get it to work anymore.
Is there anyone who got experience with this problem?
Any help would be welcome and really apprecieted.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!BPy4pRlfSgO4gcNt8H-vMCpxJUyCzA?e=lsvDjT

Ps found a vid from an Italian guy with exact the same issue..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?spm=a2g0s.imconversation.0.0.44523e5fpKkTRz&v=Gn8KINv0Nhw

Greets,
Arjan

I ran into this same issue and looking for a solution. Everything is stock on mine, I just mounted it up and used it quite a lot until this popped up. Everything you describe is what I am seeing. Hopefully you got yours to work, and I am trying to find a solution still.

If anyone runs into this issue with the unit showing 9999 and unresponsive, a new VLCD5 display will fix the issue. I noticed when I pulled the display off to put the new one on that the wires looked pulled out of the unit so maybe something pulled out inside. I was 60 miles from home when this happened and the only way to get above 15mph back home was to move the speed sensor so it couldnt detect my speed and I was able to get home a bit faster. Thanks to OP for replying back on the youtube link posted.

The reading 99.9 km/h is due to position of the spoke speed sensor, in my experience. It should have a distance of at least 1 mm, from the spoke magnet, said in another way: there is a minimum distance to be respected. If you increase the distance then the speed reading normalizes and does not jump up to 99,9 km/h. When the system reads 99,9 k/h, it won't start the motor, as it tries to respect the 45km/h maximum speed any way, it will never maintain the motor speeding if it got the information the speed is higher than 45 km/h.

I was trying to reset my VLDC5 trip mileage, but I had the odometer selected, a mistake, because I held it so long it set the mileage to 9999 and hung up this display. I have the OSF in the controller, and the VLCD5 did not power up properly.

I tried holding plus, minus and power on the VLDC5, and it did clear the odometer to zero, but the display still was off. Pressing the info button would advance the unit three times and then it would be stuck. The throttle worked, but no speed would show. I didn't try riding the bike. I gave up and put in a spare VLDC5,

Perhaps there is an way to restart the VLDC5, but it appears stuck in a firmware limbo of its own.

Last edited:
Back