• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Waterproof ESC?

A

Anonymous

I live in Seattle and it rains pretty often around here and even if I don't board when it rains outside, it would be great not to have to worry about riding on a wet street or puddles.

What would you guys recommend for an ESC in these kinds of conditions? What about the rest of a setup?

I was looking at the Hobbywing EZRUN WP-SC8 Waterproof 120A Brushless ESC Speed Controller but it only supports up to 4S LiPo batteries.
I'm open to suggestions because I haven't bought any of my electronics yet and I'm relatively new to the electric longboarding community.

There are good video's of how RC Enthusiasts water proof their equipment.

Plasti dip, liquid tape and silicone and hot glue can be used to waterproof your ESC and other parts.

The liquid tape is great for covering wires at the plug joint to prevent any shorting etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMYCEJWgUZA

There are a bunch of good ESCs that are waterproof. EZrun Pro, Mamba Monster 2, HPI. As was mentioned earlier, you can waterproof any ESC. Hot glue falls off though when things heat up. The only thing you wont be able to waterproof are your bearings, deck, and ESC fan.

A waterproof enclosure is the way to go i suspect, and maybe some sort of motor cover.

I'm thinking about this as i live in the north of england and it's a bit wet... I'm going to start with a nice sealable tupperware box and iterate on from there, as well as vacuum forming a motor cover.

WARNING: Do not use silicone sealant on electronics as it releases acid vapour while curing which corrodes circuits. Other sealants are ok (proper RTV electronic sealant is ok, but expensive) other sealants may be ok, but you need to give it a good google before you use them to make sure.

Self amalgamating tape is great for this through! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-amalgamating_tape
you wind it on and over time it welds to itself and give a really solid seal.

Back