Waterproofing and cooling the hub motor.

Fasol

1 µW
Hello,

I am a new owner of a hub motor, previously I used a Mid motor. Now I have switched to Mxus 3k Turbo.

I would like to waterproof my motor with electrical insulating varnish. Just in case I don't have a problem with corrosion, especially since I ride all year round and in all conditions.

However, I started to wonder if I open the engine, I can also use ferrofluid and use hubsink to improve cooling.

My question to you is: won't ferrofluid have a negative impact on the waterproof varnish layer? I've never used ferrofluid, so I don't know if I can use both solutions in one engine.

Thank you for all the tips and patience with the newbie ;)

I will (friendly :)) challenge your assumption that simply varnishing the interior of your dd hubmotor will "waterproof" it. What are you trying to achieve?

I too, live and ride year round in a high precipitation true four season maritime environment.

Commodity-grade 1500W dd hubmotor on one of mine, 750W on the other. No extra "waterproofing" measures. Both still running problem-free after several thousand miles. Pay attention to maintaining a functional drip loop on the wiring exiting the motor. Also, full fenders are a must! The chain, pedals, wheel bearings, brakes will all require maintenance much more frequently than the hubmotor. Especially the chain.

As for the use of the bike, you don't have to explain to me, I haven't ridden them since yesterday ;) Especially since my previous motor was CYC X1 Stealth Gen 1, which required much more frequent and better maintenance than other motors 🙃

What do I want to achieve with a layer of electro-issuing varnish? Peace of mind :ROFLMAO: Theoretically, nothing should happen to the motor without it, as you say. However, I have seen DD motors with corrosion inside, and I would prefer to avoid it.

A layer of varnish certainly won't hurt, and if moisture gets into the motor, it will certainly help, especially since it is a varnish specially designed to protect electric motors, windings, coils, transformers, etc.

Taking apart the motor itself is not a problem for me, but in the worst case scenario, removing rust from the windings and magnets can be a pain.

So a day of working on the motor to let the paint dry properly is nothing for me compared to the possible consequences of not impregnating the windings :)

Last edited:
As for the use of the bike, you don't have to explain to me, I haven't ridden them since yesterday ;) Especially since my previous motor was CYC X1 Stealth Gen 1, which required much more frequent and better maintenance than other motors.🙃:)
Sorry. For some reason I mistakenly thought you were a newbie in need of some basic wet weather advice.

Have you studied the Ferrofluid thread?

Sorry. For some reason I mistakenly thought you were a newbie in need of some basic wet weather advice.

Have you studied the Ferrofluid thread?
No problem, I'm new to the forum so it's understandable that no one knows anything about me ;)

As for reading the topic about ferrofluid, I have to read it, I saw that it is quite extensive on this forum. I've only seen a few YouTube videos about him.

Now I'm waiting for the package with the set from hubsink, but I live in Europe, so I'll probably wait two weeks for it.

I use mg chemicals 4228a in all my hub motors and ferrofluid.
The ferrofluid doesn’t damage the varnish.

Thanks for the info! You are the second person to say this, I also wrote to Grin Technologies and they also told me that there should be no problem.

As for the varnish, I still have to buy some, and I was wondering between mg chemicals and 3M Scotch 1602. But I don't trust the spray, it seems to me that I can apply the varnish layer more thoroughly with a brush.

No problem, I'm new to the forum so it's understandable that no one knows anything about me ;)

As for reading the topic about ferrofluid, I have to read it, I saw that it is quite extensive on this forum. I've only seen a few YouTube videos about him.

Now I'm waiting for the package with the set from hubsink, but I live in Europe, so I'll probably wait two weeks for it.

Thanks for the info! You are the second person to say this, I also wrote to Grin Technologies and they also told me that there should be no problem.

As for the varnish, I still have to buy some, and I was wondering between mg chemicals and 3M Scotch 1602. But I don't trust the spray, it seems to me that I can apply the varnish layer more thoroughly with a brush.
I don’t “paint” I use the brush just to put drops of mg 4228a until I fill/cover all the windings, I use about 200mls for a qs205 motor for example. I watched some videos on YouTube and most of them they would dip the motor to get no air in the coils. I think also helps with heat dissipation this way.

See this YouTube video:

Back