WattsUp Watt Meter hookup?

Talon

10 W
I can't afford a CA setup. I bought a WattsUp watt meter to hookup. I have a 48 volt battery that always stays hot. I was wondering if I can use a Xt90 with anti-spark on the source side of the wattmeter to avoid getting sparks when connecting and disconnecting the power source? Would the wattmeter measure the small resister inside the Xt90 and give me a false reading? Any suggestions would be appreciated 8)

Talon said:
I can't afford a CA setup. I bought a Watts-Up watt meter to hookup. I have a 48 volt battery that always stays hot. I was wondering if I can use a Xt90 with anti-spark on the source side of the wattmeter to avoid getting sparks when connecting and disconnecting the power source? Would the wattmeter measure the small resister inside the Xt90 and give me a false reading? Any suggestions would be appreciated 8)

Ok, first question is what do you mean "I have a 48 volt battery that always stays hot." please be a bit more clear on that statement.

Second, yes you can use an XT90 on the source side, but it would not stop a spark on the load side.

Third, are you intending to use the meter between the battery and controller, or between the battery and the charger?

Fourth, if you put the anti-spark Xt-90 before the meter the meter will not read any power draw from the connector.

So just where do you intend to put the meter? Between the battery and controller or between the charger and battery?

:D :bolt:

Anti spark connectors have two contacts in the positive side. When you connect them up the first contact has a resistor in series to limit current which prevents the spark, then the second contact is the main contact that has no resistor. You can use one of these without issue. Functionally they are no different to normal XT-90 connectors once they are fully connected.

You really only need one anti spark connector between the battery and the bike. Just make sure its the last one you connect up.

Not sure what you mean by 'always stays hot' when referring to the battery. Do you mean it's hot to touch under load?

e-beach said:
Talon said:
I can't afford a CA setup. I bought a Watts-Up watt meter to hookup. I have a 48 volt battery that always stays hot. I was wondering if I can use a Xt90 with anti-spark on the source side of the wattmeter to avoid getting sparks when connecting and disconnecting the power source? Would the wattmeter measure the small resister inside the Xt90 and give me a false reading? Any suggestions would be appreciated 8)

Ok, first question is what do you mean "I have a 48 volt battery that always stays hot." please be a bit more clear on that statement.

Second, yes you can use an XT90 on the source side, but it would not stop a spark on the load side.

Third, are you intending to use the meter between the battery and controller, or between the battery and the charger?

Fourth, if you put the anti-spark Xt-90 before the meter the meter will not read any power draw from the connector.

So just where do you intend to put the meter? Between the battery and controller or between the charger and battery?

The battery output leads always have power even when the bike is not used. The meter is going between the battery and the controller. I blew out a Turnigy wattmeter just connecting and disconnecting from the battery leads from the sparks. I need to measure volts, and watts pull.

Talon said:
The battery output leads always have power even when the bike is not used. The meter is going between the battery and the controller. I blew out a Turnigy wattmeter just connecting and disconnecting from the battery leads from the sparks. I need to measure volts, and watts pull.

If you leave the watt meter between the battery and controller then the meter will drain the battery over time. I have never blown a meter from connecting or disconnecting it from the battery. I suppose it is possible. A no spark connector between the meter and controller could mitigate that when the battery is fully charged. My assumption is that you disconnect between the meter and controller to charge the battery. Is that correct?

e-beach said:
Talon said:

If you leave the watt meter between the battery and controller then the meter will drain the battery over time. I have never blown a meter from connecting or disconnecting it from the battery. I suppose it is possible. A no spark connector between the meter and controller could mitigate that when the battery is fully charged. My assumption is that you disconnect between the meter and controller to charge the battery. Is that correct?

I will have the new watt meter in a few days as I just ordered it. Yes I would disconnect the watt meter when I charge the battery. Should I just use a regular Xt60 connector to disconnect the watt meter instead of the spark resistant Xt90 connector? I just don't want to short out another watt meter. Thanks for your help.... :D

I have never had a watt meter spark and short as you described so I am not sure the problem. I have run run watt meters inline with my battery during rides and charging, and I have plugged them in to the battery when charging solely to check the amount of total charge needed after usage. I have never had one blow due to a spark. It makes me wonder if something else besides plunging in a battery would cause it, like the meter not being able to handle the amps you battery can deliver.

However, because the spark is usually due to the controllers capacitors suddenly getting juice, I would do one of these two things:

Put your spark resistant connector on the controller, between the watt meter and the controller, that might suppress the amp draw through the meter until the controller capacitors are charged.

Put your spark resistant connector on the controller, between the controller and the battery and plug the battery in to the controller for a few seconds to charge the controller capacitors, then disconnect the battery and controller and immediately connect the meter between the battery and controller. You might have a chance of keeping the spark down if the controller caps are charged enough to keep from needing a quick power surge.

Back