What controller for a 5404?

NeilP

1 GW
Just wondering about a 5404..and what controller to use if I go for one.

What sort of current are you going to need to drive it to max?

I am running at 5304 with 18 FET lyen 4110 65 amp controller at the moment, and feel that it is the controller here that is limiting the setup.

Running at 100 volts and 65 to 70 amps Plus..accordign to the CA...which may need calibrating.

So what for a 5404?? like to go higher voltage. but 4110's wont take more than 100v ...so 4115's? but they are current limited...so what to use

I see Stevo has a 36 FET 4110 controller for sale...so still only 100volts Ok, so probably 120 amps or so more? ...but what about motorcycle controllers? what controllers are used on them? must be other stuff out there that the m/c boys use that will run a 5404 better?

I have a Beach Cruiser bike that is very harley Style..fitting a big hub to the back of that to keep up with our Local HOG chapter would be great. I kept up with thme happily the other morning on the regular Sunday morning rideout..but did not have the battery capacity for a full mornings ride

I was going to say that it might be time for some sort of an All-Trax or a Kelly. :D

The motorcycle hub motor I bought was a 1500w rated unit and it had a 15 Fet 48v controller as standard, so clearly there are moped controllers that are already BELOW what we are used to.

A Lyen 24 Fet would be an option.

I have to say that I have been using the 18 Fet 4110 with an X5305 and a 72v pack, 65A standard, no issues.

Are you looking for reliability and power, or are you looking for trimmings like 3-speed switches, CA ports etc?

Yea, I have a Lyen 18 FET 65 amp 4110 with my 5304..but when ever I have opened it up a bit to get more power I have blown the FETS.

No need for 3 speed switch..as long as i can have a hidden reed switch..that enables a granny ( street legal ) mode

Can fit my own CA plugs..or use a stand alone if necessary..and use the CA throttle pull down of the CA if needed. You have already given me info witht eh names All-Trax and Kelly...so i can google them and see what comes up

Short term, I'll be using my methods 100v100a controller.

Long term, Kelly controller, 120v/144v nominal, rated at 150a-800a. The amp ratings are a little different from what we are used to with the xlytes/infineons because it is the 1-minute rate (ie burst), and they rate current on the motor side, so the 500a brushed kelly in my VW bus draws under 250a burst.

http://kellycontroller.com/144v-brushless-khb-controllers-c-23_56.html
http://kellycontroller.com/120v-brushless-kbl-ikhbhp-controllers-c-23_43.html

I prefer to bump up watts with volts instead of amps, less current lost to resistance.

-JD

Sorry, but SteveO's controller isn't an option. I already bought it and he must not have updated the for sale thread. Of course it's to run on real motors, not Xlyte's, so I needed it more than you anyway. :mrgreen:

John in CR said:
Sorry, but SteveO's controller isn't an option. I already bought it and he must not have updated the for sale thread. Of course it's to run on real motors, not Xlyte's, so I needed it more than you anyway. :mrgreen:

Hey John, did I see you post that Accountant's Greyborg motor looked similar to yours? It's looking like mine will get delivered before the 54xx even get ordered, so that will be first on the new test mule.

If yes, did you run a methods controller on it, and if yes, what sort of performance were you seeing out of it? I know the italian guy reported 84mph at 120v/250a.

-JD

Back