What do you think, Hesjedal rode an ebike on Vuelta Espana?

peters

1 kW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIlmtQKLMUg

After he falls, the rear wheel touches the ground so its rotation should stop or slow down, but after he removes his foot from the pedal the bike starts moving. At that moment the angular momentum of the wheel probably would not be enough to move the bike.
To me it looks like there is a small rear hub motor with a few times 10 or 100 watts. Or it is a strange optical illusion on the video (e.g. varying frame rate of the camera), but it is less likely.

What do you think?

No. It's the momentum of the wheel. Bear in mind, that bike is pivoting on the pedal, and the wheel was spinning 40 mph or so on a descent. Soon as the still spinning wheel touches the pavement, it rotated the bike. Very light bikes, so nearly no force at all needed to do it.

Any hubmotor would be obvious as hell, and it doesn't look to me like the motor in the seat tube.

LOL, There are inspectors that inspect the bikes each day , before the race , at the Pro Level Bike Races, not only that , but when was the last time you heard of a e-bike working for over 100 miles ? even only using it part time, the weight and drag penalty would offset any benefits, and would get you banned from Professional Cycling for nearly a life time, or until you were too old to compete !

B.T.W.
I was at a bike shop today, talking to a young man about the same age , and just as tall as Hesjedal,
He rides his bike for over 100 miles , Most , Every ride he does !
not only that He rides up in the hills, to the west of Palo Alto/Woodside !
If I was that young and fit, I would not even be on this fourm .

Drunkskunk said:
I can't translate this, but the demo at the end doesn't need translating. Fast spinning wheel wouldn't have a problem doing exactly what his bike did.

The video shows what happens if the rear wheel spins, but does not explain why it spins so fast after pushed the ground and some sliding on its sidewall.
But ok, I accept it is possible.

Those guys piss their pants if you add 2 grams weight to the bike. No way he's packing copper and batteries. He'd have to push it for a hundred miles before he got to use the motor.

But,,,,, When you see them switch bikes with 5k to go,,,,,,

Back