What kind of helmet do you use?

I don't always wear a helmet, but when I do it's the bern macon with the winter audio knit.

Bernwinterknit.jpg

Okay, I change my choice to what "Racer_X" and "Gestalt" said about the "ski helmets" they totally rock for cold weather, safety, and good-looks factor for the win :)

Wore this for a while before it got snagged by a tree hahaha

Attachments

• helm.jpg
    helm.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,779
Hi everyone,

I'd really appreciate your input on this.

I need a lid for my recently purchased +50mph ebike.

Nothing seems to be ideal for quick ebike usage. I mostly use the bike on tarmac.

The majority of cycle helmets seem a poor choice for me as they don't offer a good level of protection. I however really like the Abus Kranium cardboard helmet: http://www.kraniums.com/

and

Casco seem to do some good ones - http://www.casco-helme.de/

Motocross helmets would do the job, but are a little on the heavy side, and a bit extreme. Although my bike goes +50mph my average speed is about 20-25mph (on an hour trip/commute). Plus i'm worried they may give me away if I ever needed to use it on the road. What regular pedal powered cyclist wears a mx helmet?

Downhill full face are a bit lighter than the mx versions, but all say not suitable for motorised use. Are they strong enough?

How do the full face helmets affect your hearing - can you still hear ok? I want to still hear if something is creeping up on me :!:

So what do you guys wear, and what do you recommend?

Thanks.

Giro

random google search result
http://bikesgearmore.com/wear/giro-remedy-cf-helmet

blocks the wind noise nicely but you still hear perfectly fine thru it.

edit to add ;.. not DOT approved but it's a one shot deal regardless, what's good enough for DH and trees, is ok for fast ebikes imo. :twisted:

Well, for the last year of so I have been rolling around with a DHH half helmet.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/17410/i/thh-t-68-naked-helmet

For me the price was right, it wasn't too heavy for a Department of Transportation approved helmet and if I dropped my bike and hit my head, I (most likely) wouldn't have to go out and buy a new one like I would have to do with a bicycle helmet. I also really like the protection I get from this kind of helmet versus a regular cycling helmet. On the other hand, it gets hot in the summer...and yes my head sweets...

As far as full face helmets (motocross...Etc) exterior sounds are reduced so if you ware one you will need to relay on anticipation of stupid car maneuvers and mirrors (or at least one bicycle mirror) more heavily then if you have a 1/2 helmet or something with ear holes. On the other hand, you get much better protection for you full head.

my 2¢

:D

I like the DH full face helmet for going fast. Dental work is expensive!

I just wear a normal bike helmet when riding the slow bike though (not that I couldn't knock out a few teeth at 30kph) because it's easier & stealthier.

I use a $100 motorcycle helmet with a full face shield. I removed the ear pads for ventilation and hearing. The face shield keeps the wind noise down and allows good vision. In colder weather I need to wipe the inside with a gloved finger to keep the visibility.

Stevo UK said:
Downhill full face are a bit lighter than the mx versions, but all say not suitable for motorised use. Are they strong enough?

Some of them could easily be mistaken for m/c helmets. I think it's in a shops interest to stop people buying and returning them. The manufacturer may also give warnings as they also sell m/c helmets. It might be interesting to see if they do, as differences will be more apparent.

If your going m/c speeds, don't you want a m/c helmet though? The testing they get is really quite different.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Sorry should have made it more clear in the OP. I was going to buy a downhill (DH) full face one when I got the bike. After some research I decided on the Specialized Dissident:
http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/ftr/helmets/mtb-helmets/dissident

However I noticed inside the helmet was a manufacturers disclaimer/warning that the helmet should not be used for motorised use.

I ask the guy in the shop about this (luckily I choose the cool one) who said that for my type of bike I'd be better getting a motocross (MX) lid as the DH lids are all pretty useless in crashes above 30mph.

After researching MX lids I found out that the Shoei and Arai helmets got the best reviews and have the best safety features.

I then learnt that Arai have their new mx helmet the MX-V coming out mid-April which is a improvement on their existing Vx3. The strange thing is they are only 30% more expensive than the DH specialized lid but in my opinion they are more than 30% better - looks, safety features,protection etc, etc,. Protecting my head is worth the extra 30% imho.

However, now i've ridden my bike more, I'm working out the opportunity for using the bike's top speeds (+50mph) are few and far between. Its actually the acceleration that matters more than top speed, and having a increasing average speed. When I do use the bike top speeds, its probably when i'm least likely to have a crash. The fact that i'm going that fast means that I've assessed that the road is clear, I can stop in the distance I can see - basically hazards are minimal. The reasons I've worked this out is because I have read the road by utilizing - good visibility, listening to road noise (car engines, and even other motobikes/mopeds) and anticipated others actions. Your ability to read the road is, imo, compromised once you start wearing a big bulky mx lid. Listening to road noise, and wide fields of vision don't really matter on a race/dirt track hence the MX helmets don't really cater for this.

As e-beach states do you choose decreased awareness, which could equal more crashes, or do you just accept that at some point you will crash, and therefore its better to be protected!

The other problem is that wearing a MX helmet I make myself stand out in the crowd; and would be more likely to catch the eye of the Police. That could possibly lead to seizure of my bike, and prosecution for using an illegal, uninsured vehicle on the queens highway!

So as Gregory states do I choose stealth or protection - both are protecting me from harm in their own ways.

Hence why i'm now a bit confussed, and wanted to get the 'hive's' opinion, and prehaps throw me an viable option that I'd not yet considered.

Gregory said:

I just wear a normal bike helmet when riding the slow bike though (not that I couldn't knock out a few teeth at 30kph) because it's easier & stealthier.
i agree,full face helmet ,i already replaced all my teeth with titanium ones and are very expensive to fix and any spare cash is going on bike number 2

Something to consider... this is not going to happen everyday but if it ever did it would be your last day.

You're doing 40, the car coming the opposite direction that's overtaking and doesn't see you because your a bike is doing 50

that's you hitting a wall at 100mph if you're unlucky or your hands & face kissing tarmac at 40ish

I'd get a full face motocross lid and good gloves. The fact you're on a bike is regardless, consider the physics, protect accordingly.

Something like this will allow enough wind in to keep you somewhat cool

You just described a fatality regardless of what type of helmet would be worn.

My 2 cents, if your bike can do 50, it's time for the DOT helmet.

I ride 30 mph with a cheap bike helmet. I have no illusions that it will do shit for me if I hit another car coming at me at 30, or even that it will save me if I strike a curb at 30. It's main purpose is to make a survivable crash with no helmet turn from a painful and long recovery into a shopping for a new lid experience. More of a, don't have to heal a patch of skin gone from the head type of deal.

You want real safety, why are you riding 50 mph on bike tires? Wise move to stay below 30 mph most of the time, but when you plan to run at 50, break out a dot helmet, riding jacket with armor, padded pants, boots, stout gloves.

Yeah, I'm convinced that a DOT rated mx helmet is probably the best option.

As the Arai MX-V ain't out for another couple of weeks I thought I'd check if something better was available - it doesn't seem like it though. Suppose I have to resign myself that I'll no longer have a completely stealth look.

At least I'll be confident that I can ride a bit faster when I'm being chased by the police; after they realise what I'm riding :twisted: - only joking!

I'm also thinking of an inflatable emergency jacket, but perhaps I should start a new thread for that discussion!

Its a shame that we can't upgrade the human body, its seems some body parts haven't evolved fast enough to keep up with technology!!!

You want real safety, why are you riding 50 mph on bike tires? Wise move to stay below 30 mph most of the time,

Plan to get the bike on Pro-wheel rims soon. As you'll see from my post above my average speed during the commute is 20-25mph so I am (technically) under 30mph most of the time - hence why I thought a mx lid may be a bit extreme.

I use a $100 motorcycle helmet with a full face shield. I removed the ear pads for ventilation and hearing. The face shield keeps the wind noise down and allows good vision.

When I get my hands on the Arai I'll see if removing the ear pads is an option.

You just described a fatality regardless of what type of helmet would be worn.

Fact - It is always the ones you don't see coming that hurt the most

Riding in a manner that all but eliminates your chances of going down is best. If you ride at 50 much, that's where wind noise can start to get really bothersome, and some helmets are really noisy.

I never feel more at risk than when I put a DOT helmet on. Even in my own house they make me feel impeded. They weigh a few kg more than I would like, but the real issue for me is you can't cycle in them. They are fit for winter use with high wind chill. If you wear one in summer your not going to be pedaling unless you can use your hydration pack intravenously.

For winter I got a snowboarding helmet, but as usual couldn't find one that fits my head.

I fell off and got a stick stuck in my forehead last year. Right where a helmet wouldn't of covered. That is my only head injury cycling. I have had a few in the car though.

Riding in a manner that all but eliminates your chances of going down is best

I was in the lucky position that I was given (car) driving lessons by my friends dad, who was a High Speed Police Driver.

The police drive fast and safely (in the UK at least); they don't crash a lot because the follow the 'Rules that Matter'.

The trick is with anything/everything is to find out the 'REAL' rules; as radiorental mentioned when driving fast/crashing the rules that matter are the rules of Physics. When Driving slowly and with other traffic/congestion the rules of the road (highway code matter) matter (speed limits, lane discipline, etc).

The mistake many make is that as the speed limit says 'xx' that means it safe to drive at 'xx'. Only safe if the rules of Physics agree :!:

Some car drivers are lulled into a false sense of security as their vehicles have airbags, abs, seatbelts, comfy seats etc. and therefore think they are safe. If they do have a crash, usually they are not personally hurt. There is therefore little consequence (other than insurance cost rise) if they make mistakes, and therefore they don't have to be as AWARE.

Bike riders of all types don't really have this luxury, they know if they keep making mistakes they are going to get hurt; so they almost train themselves to pay more attention to the road, and be more aware - read the road.

I never feel more at risk than when I put a DOT helmet on. Even in my own house they make me feel impeded.

My problem with them is that I feel they will reduce my Awareness as you mention - as above Awareness matters so much more to bikers.

Ebikes in my opinion are safer than cycles for street use as the extra power/speed helps to prevent the rider getting into bad situations and helps get you out when needed. Also as you are not focused on generating your own power you can focus more on the road. Plus you get less sweat in your eyes :D

Is it dawning on you yet? Full dress for 50 mph on a bike, because you really can't trust the tires for many hours of that kind of use. This is hooligan riding, but not how you normally travel. Just dress different for that dawn patrol, nobody on the road yet, sunday morning romp. You may well crash on this fun romp, so dress for it.

But when you commute 30 mph wear what is comfortable, perhaps full face but a bike helmet. Hell by summer I'm in shorts and a T, and by god I really am trying to never go down. Not that I go down more in winter. But on a hooligan ride, I may go down 25% of the time. Especially if it just snowed.

3 speed switch for slower riding will help with the twitchy throttle on a hot rod bike.

Stevo UK said:
Ebikes in my opinion are safer than cycles for street use as the extra power/speed helps to prevent the rider getting into bad situations and helps get you out when needed. Also as you are not focused on generating your own power you can focus more on the road. Plus you get less sweat in your eyes :D

If I had to ride that slow, electric or not, I wouldn't ride where I ride. There's no infrastructure, so I'm on the street, but my bike gives me the ability to create 50m or more free space. Cars would have a very difficult time hitting me, even intentionally. That puts the onus on me not to hit anything, leaving me open only to freak occurrences unless I make a mistake. At 50mph with shorts, tshirt, and flip flops I have to ride mistake free whether I have my helmet on or not.

Is it dawning on you yet?

Yeah - life is full of compromises.

And their isn't a good all-round solution, yet.

So, as I posted earlier I need two helmets, as one hasn't been designed yet that ticks all the boxes.

Gregory said:

Yup... same here.

2 helmets, both Fox. Both bought on sale. One is a DH full face for going 40 mph and the other is a normal bike helmet, but with good occipital coverage, for anything slower. If I'm out with my kid and wife, it's definitely weird to wear a full facer.

I don't believe it is a matter of speed. You should wear a helmet if you feel like you need one, and wear the one that you feel comfortable to wear.

Back