• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

What throttle? Thumb or twist?

Chalega

1 mW
Hi guys,

So closing in on my first electric bike purchase. However, I need to choose my throttle: thumb, half twist or full twist. No freaking clue which one to pick.

Intuitively I feel that a thumb throttle would make it easier to brake n stuff since your hand is always in the right place. But I feel from my research that most people prefer a twist throttle? What do you guys think?

Thumb if you can get the slim simple version sans LED's.

Half twist is my favorite. I kept breaking the tab off thumb throttles hitting a bump when holding WOT. More of a bad right hand with a mind of it's own problem, but half twist works best for me.

Thumb throttles work better with twist grip shifters, but my advice if you have those is to remove one of them, or get some trigger shifters, which work great with half twist throttles.

One option for twist shift, is put the rear shifter on the left side upside down, then do without the front shifter. Just leave it in one gear on the front.

Drunkskunk said:
Half twist. It works like a motorbike, and you won't have any problem keeping your hand in position for the brakes while using it. Plus you'll have a more solid grip on the bars than with a full twist.
I've found my thumb wants to fall asleep after an hour or so on a thumb throttle.
+1 with the thumb throttle. It is also harder to keep the bike at a steady speed than with a half twist or full twist.

I rode motorcycles too, but went with thumb throttle for bike and don't regret it. Setting cruise is easier. and no false throttle movement.

Trackman417 said:
Drunkskunk said:
Half twist. It works like a motorbike, and you won't have any problem keeping your hand in position for the brakes while using it. Plus you'll have a more solid grip on the bars than with a full twist.
I've found my thumb wants to fall asleep after an hour or so on a thumb throttle.
+1 with the thumb throttle. It is also harder to keep the bike at a steady speed than with a half twist or full twist.
Have used all three and have decided that the Half twist is the easiest to control. With half grip solid it is a place to rest your hand and also hold the throttle at one speed.

Which ever you decide, buy an extra, there cheap but shipping for a second one later is not!.

Dan

A thumb throttle can normally work on either the left or right grip. It's good if you are short on space on your handlebar. Work well with grip/revo shifters.

As for twist throttles, I prefer the 1/2 twist over a full twist for a couple of reasons. If you rest the outside of your palm on the fixed end grip and just use your thumb and forefinger to rotate the throttle you are less likely to accidentally bump the throttle. You are also less likely to damage a 1/2 twist it if you lean your bike against a wall or it falls over on the throttle side. Work well with trigger shifters or 3spd revo shifter mounted on the left.

You can get 1/2 twist throttles for the left side. They are used a lot on the Ezee electric bikes.

I have been riding motorcycles for 35 years and thought a control on the left would be wierd, but it didn't take long to get used to it & I actually prefer it now on the e-bikes where you have a heap of gears as I prefer the shifter on the right.

^ That makes sense! Gna go with the half twist I think, and have a spare thumb throttle just in case. You guys are awesome, thanks!!

Full width twist with one of these fitted helps relieve the aches from my hand, I found the thumb throttle caused really bad pains (I have spondylosis). They're not too expensive.

teklektik said:
A couple of minutes searching led to these versions on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/s?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=crampbuster

Nice!

alsmith said:
Full width twist with one of these fitted helps relieve the aches from my hand, I found the thumb throttle caused really bad pains (I have spondylosis). They're not too expensive.

Motorcycle suppliers offer somethng similar called a "throttle rocker" and would probably work on similar size grips.

It mounts on the throttle. I've seen a few different versions of it, an expensive USA sourced item that is available in different sizes, but I read it slips on the grip if pushed upwards. That's ok if you want to get it out of the way but it is a bit fiddly to get back in position- much safer to stop to do it.
The cheaper item stays put, but it's fine for me- it doesn't get in the way at all.

Anyway- link to the one I got:
(mine came with a silver flame graphic on it- but the thing is just a couple of dollars)

and once you know about them they become common!

i have thumb throttles installed on all my bikes.

+:

it doesn't give me that much wrist pain to operate
i can use the handlebars i like

-:

needs some space - so it can be an issue to find enough space in case your shifters and brake handle are in the way

those are really cheap though. i have several of all types at home and did test ride them. you will always need a spare throttle if you have to do some controller testing/repair on your desk.

Spares are always good to have. For the longer rides, I jam the grip into the throttle a bit making it sticky. Then an open palm on the half throttle is all I need to hold it open. Po mans cruise control.

Back