Where can I locate the CAN bus addresses for programming the ASI Bac500/Bac800 controllers?

zenbunz

1 µW
Hello!

Can anyone provide me with a document that contains all the CAN bus addresses
for the ASI BAC controller, preferably model 855? I require this information for a robotics project
at school where I need to control the throttle speed, obtain odometer information
(such as ticks and speed), etc.

I would be very grateful for any assistance.

I haven't found any significant documentation on these out in the wild. ASI requires a login to access the info they keep on their site, so your best bet is to directly contact them about your needs, and which specific controller you've bought from them so they can get you the right version of the right info. If you didn't buy it directly from ASI, it's possible they'll just ignore you, unfortunately, in which case you'd have to get it from your ASI dealer, who should be able to provide any documentation and setup software you don't already have.

Note that you will also need the setup software so you can program it and tune it for your specific system, battery, motor, etc., as it will require that to be done before it can operate a motor correctly.

Thank you, for your replays.

The canbus.csv is nice but it is missing some addresses from 520-1500.
I can’t really contact them, cause they want your login details from the Developers kit.( That I do not have.)

Hello!

for the ASI BAC controller, preferably model 855? I require this information for a robotics project
at school where I need to control the throttle speed, obtain odometer information
(such as ticks and speed), etc.

I would be very grateful for any assistance.
Some more canbus info is the asi website:
- ASI CANopen
- https://support.accelerated-systems.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/ASI-CANopen-Protocol.pdf
- https://support.accelerated-systems...Bootloader-Sequence-Description-rev-1.0.1.pdf

They also write:

CAN over BACDoor?​

We support PEAK PCAN-USB dongles.

To make a CAN version of BACDoor, you must do the following:

1. Navigate to C:\Accelerated Systems or wherever you installed your copy of BACDoor.
  2. Make a Copy of the BacDoor folder in C:\Accelerated Systems And rename it BACDoor CAN. The old version will be your TTL version. (Mine says BacDoor 6015 CANsince it specifically has the dictionary for firmware 6.015 and I made it a CAN version. Note: I keep a copy of BACDoor for every firmware I deal with.)
    1. See image below.
  3. Open your BACDoor CAN folder and open and edit BacDoor.exe.config, or BACDoor.dll.config, in a text editor, I used notepad++.
  4. Un-comment line 19 by removing the “<!–“ at the start and “–>”at the end
    1. Original: <!–<add key=”EnableCANCommunicationObject” value=”true”/>–>
    2. After editing: <add key=”EnableCANCommunicationObject” value=”true”/>
  5. Now BACDoor can communicate over CANOpen using a PCAN-USB device.
Machine generated alternative text:

FAQs​

Question 1​

Q: Can Command Timeout Threshold (1 sample) and Average command timeout threshold (100 samples) be made to respect CANopen writes or is there some other parameter we should use?

A: You must send a rolling counter on the high Byte of Remote state command on a heartbeat within the timeout thresholds.

Low byteRemote State Command 0 = Off 1 = Idle 2 = Active
High byteWatchdog Counter Rolling Counter from 0 to 255

Question 2​

Q: CAN sync loss faults motor?

A: If CAN sync loss timeout is not respected (RPDO), and Command timeout threshold (1 sample) and Average Command timeout threshold (100 samples) are set (typically 1000ms and 250ms respectively). It will trigger the Faults bit 8 Network communication timeout fault which causes the motor to be disabled until the controller is power cycled, and the LED should flash a 2,1 sequence while faulted.

Question 3​

Q: How do you use Remote network voltage for throttle when running in local mode (e.g. Control command source = throttle or pedal and throttle) when Command timeout threshold (1 sample) and Average Command timeout threshold (100 samples) are set?

A: You must send a heartbeat, rolling counter, on the Remote state command above 255. e.g. A rolling counter from 256 to 511. (0x0100 to 0xFF00)

Question 4​

Q: Communication loss braking?

A: If the communication loss fault triggers, it will initiate braking to 0 only if in remote speed mode, Control command source = 0 (serial stream) and Speed regulator mode = 0 (speed). The braking current is limited by Remote comm loss braking current as a function of rated motor current for braking. Braking will occur for 10 seconds.

It does not trigger in other modes, i.e. Control command source is not set to 0 (serial stream)

Some more canbus info is the asi website:
- ASI CANopen
- https://support.accelerated-systems.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/ASI-CANopen-Protocol.pdf
- https://support.accelerated-systems...Bootloader-Sequence-Description-rev-1.0.1.pdf

They also write:

CAN over BACDoor?​

We support PEAK PCAN-USB dongles.

To make a CAN version of BACDoor, you must do the following:

1. Navigate to C:\Accelerated Systems or wherever you installed your copy of BACDoor.
  2. Make a Copy of the BacDoor folder in C:\Accelerated Systems And rename it BACDoor CAN. The old version will be your TTL version. (Mine says BacDoor 6015 CANsince it specifically has the dictionary for firmware 6.015 and I made it a CAN version. Note: I keep a copy of BACDoor for every firmware I deal with.)
    1. See image below.
  3. Open your BACDoor CAN folder and open and edit BacDoor.exe.config, or BACDoor.dll.config, in a text editor, I used notepad++.
  4. Un-comment line 19 by removing the “<!–“ at the start and “–>”at the end
    1. Original: <!–<add key=”EnableCANCommunicationObject” value=”true”/>–>
    2. After editing: <add key=”EnableCANCommunicationObject” value=”true”/>
  5. Now BACDoor can communicate over CANOpen using a PCAN-USB device.
Machine generated alternative text:

FAQs​

Question 1​

Q: Can Command Timeout Threshold (1 sample) and Average command timeout threshold (100 samples) be made to respect CANopen writes or is there some other parameter we should use?

A: You must send a rolling counter on the high Byte of Remote state command on a heartbeat within the timeout thresholds.

Low byteRemote State Command0 = Off 1 = Idle 2 = Active
High byteWatchdog CounterRolling Counter from 0 to 255

Question 2​

Q: CAN sync loss faults motor?

A: If CAN sync loss timeout is not respected (RPDO), and Command timeout threshold (1 sample) and Average Command timeout threshold (100 samples) are set (typically 1000ms and 250ms respectively). It will trigger the Faults bit 8 Network communication timeout fault which causes the motor to be disabled until the controller is power cycled, and the LED should flash a 2,1 sequence while faulted.

Question 3​

Q: How do you use Remote network voltage for throttle when running in local mode (e.g. Control command source = throttle or pedal and throttle) when Command timeout threshold (1 sample) and Average Command timeout threshold (100 samples) are set?

A: You must send a heartbeat, rolling counter, on the Remote state command above 255. e.g. A rolling counter from 256 to 511. (0x0100 to 0xFF00)

Question 4​

Q: Communication loss braking?

A: If the communication loss fault triggers, it will initiate braking to 0 only if in remote speed mode, Control command source = 0 (serial stream) and Speed regulator mode = 0 (speed). The braking current is limited by Remote comm loss braking current as a function of rated motor current for braking. Braking will occur for 10 seconds.

It does not trigger in other modes, i.e. Control command source is not set to 0 (serial stream)
Thank you!

Back