which of these throttles to pick???

callagga

100 W
any suggestions out of the four here? maybe just the standard twist?

http://ebikes.ca/store/store_controllers.php(in throttles section)
T-HTwist_TN.jpg

T-LTwist_TN.jpg

T-Thumb_TN.jpg

T-Twist_TN.jpg

I would personally get the half grip twist throttle. Thumb throttles often come standard and are perhaps the safest but your poor little thumb gets tired. I prefer twisties but I ride motorcycles and am used to them -- kinda. Still the other day I was off road and hit a soft spot on deep wood chips that the bike suddenly sunk into. I jumped off while moving a bit OK but while holding the bike I had the twist throttle slightly on so the bike kept going a bit. As I was also bogged down in the wood chips on an incline with the bike going forward I couldn't easily let go of the throttle because I was holding the bike by both grips. I fell onto the seat and bruised my chest enough that it still hurts a week later. With the half grip I could have held the bike with the 'dead' end of the grip and let the throttle spring closed but my brain is the size of a walnut. Now I've practiced it and next time I'll do better. This is the only problem I've had with a twistie but it's why I say a thumb is a bit safer. I'd not get the full twist as you are always holding the bike by the throttle. However I'll never go back to thumbs on my three bikes as the twisties are more comfortable on long rides and give better control for me while riding -- but thumbs work well and some prefer them.

for just road riding Nimbuzz would you still recommend the half grip twist? or in this case the full twist grip would be good...tks

I mostly ride road and like the half. Anytime you are manuvering the bike around, up steps or anything it's nice to be able to grab the dead end of the grip.

I used to say thumb throttle but recently I cut off the thumb part and added a few globs (balls) of clear glue/silicone on the bit that turns and and use it that way and it is muuuuch better. No more thumb ache and it doesnt get in the way of gripping anymore. I dont like the full motorcycle typ grip though. maybe a half would be good?

went for the eZee (36V) - I want to pedal power it on the flat but just want to torque over the steep hills :)

ok, let us know how you like it. I've never talked to anyone who owned an ezee. I haven't investigated the ezee as much as the direct drive motors.

This is opinion of course...

I have a thumb throttle, and like Dogman in some other thread, position it so that at full throttle, the thumb is in a natural grip position. The intended position for these things seems to be to have the idiot lights visible. In that position, the thumb is in an uncomfortable position, but I had to give up the idiot lights. I have twist shifters so the thumb throttle is the only real option. I'm used to it now, feel safe and comfortable with it.

But I just built a bike with an ezee kit for my wife. This is a new Costo Schwinn and I picked the half twist throttle -- it has quickfire shifters and I've not enough thumbs. It's Ok, except old habits die hard and when it's time to give 'er the gun I tend to shift gears instead.

Glad I did not get the full twist -- reason is safety during ground handling. The on/off switch on this kit is way in the back and you have to get off the bike to get to it. Since it's normal to handle the bike by the handlegrips, with the motor live and you standing beside it it would be real easy for things to get out of hand.

And gimme a day or so and I'll send out an ezee report...

I'm certainly happy with my eZee and the basic thumb throttle.
Last bike had a half-twist (it was a Currie Mongoose).
Thumb throttle on a cruiser bike bar; there's nothing else there, no shifter, no brake lever.
It's a natural for me. I don't get "finger fatigue"; have rotated the throttle for natural position like the member above did.

The replacement of the hard plastic thumb spoon with soft silicone sounds like a future upgrade to try!
Meanwhile, I'm loving my simple bike. I'm going out right now at 2:30 AM for a lonnng ride, no cars to
compete against, eZee only, no assist, a range test of the 36/20 Ping pack.

All thumbs and coaster brake Reid 8)

2:30 am? wow, isn't that kind of scary? I never even thought about going out that late. I live downtown. I guess if you have a really fast bike, there isn't much to be afraid of. I don't think my bike is fast enough to consider going out that late. Maybe when I get my X5 built.

morph999 said:
2:30 am? wow, isn't that kind of scary? I never even thought about going out that late. I live downtown. I guess if you have a really fast bike, there isn't much to be afraid of. I don't think my bike is fast enough to consider going out that late. Maybe when I get my X5 built.
It's dead quiet and almost no cars on the roads I choose to run late at night. It's safer than daytime running. Depends on where you live, obviously.

Got sleepy and did not do the run after all--have to get up early tomorrow for dental repair.
Will make a 30+ mile motor-only WOT no-stop run ASAP to see how much milage the Ping delivers
at an average of about 19mph. I hope to get 20Ah from the thing; running it at about .5C, this seems possible.
The eZee stays cool at sustained "high" speeds on level ground.
The ventilated, supplied, little 20A eZee controller runs cooler than a cucumber in winter.
Night riding here is safe. Just don't do it on a weekend night and watch out for the rare drunk driver.

Back