Which PING battery for Crystalyte Roadrunner?

ecowheelz

100 W
I have a customer who wants to upgrade to a LiFePo4 battery and I don't know which PING to recommend. I've heard that you need more AH with LiFePo4 than SLA, so which PING would be the best for a 48V Crystalyte Roadrunner kit?

The customer is leaning torwards the 48V/15AH battery pack for $485. But I've heard people mention only to use the 48V/20AH battery ($598) for more powerful 48V kits. What are your thoughts? 15AH or 20AH? Will the standard 48V 25A controller be OK with the 20AH battery?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

the Crystalyte Roadrunner is just a Clyte 408. A 500w motor. if it's on a 20A controller, it won't need anymore than a 10Ah ping. 25A to 30A would be fine with the 15Ah, and 305 to 40A would need the 20Ah Ping.

LifePO4 need less AH than SLA for the same range. what matters is the C rating. Its 2 on Pings, and many of the Ebike kit type SLA have a C rating of 0.5 to 1. The higher the better for C rating

It's a little confusing, because according to electricrider.com (who provides these Crystalyte kits), the 48V Roadrunner is 1200w (not 500w). But I'm guessing their rating is "output volts" - or 48V x 25A??? It makes it difficult to know what - is what...

Could you provide the Crystalyte model numbers (ie: 408, etc.) for all these kits:

Crystalyte Phoenix (Racer, Cruiser, Brute)
Crystalyte Roadrunner
Crystalyte Sparrow

If I knew the model numbers (used by everyone on this forum and elsewhere) it might make it a little easier to find information...

THANKS AGAIN!

I think Drunkskunk is right. The 1200w is peak wattage. The roadrunner can't be more than say 600w. The phoenix hubs are all big powerful motors that are around 1000w but the sparrow and roadrunner are smaller ones. If you look at the speeds of sparrow and roadrunner, they are much slower than the phoenix hubs. The phoenix racer has a peak wattage of about 1900w just to give you an idea.

5303 = phoenix racer
5304 = phoenix cruiser
5305= phoenix brute

I don't know what the sparrow and roadrunner are but they are definitely 400 series motors. The 406 top speed is 31 mph so neither one is probably a 406. They are either a 407 or 408 most likely.

AFAIK, Those names are basicly consumer lables, applied to a range. I've never seen Clyte use them, and think they were a marketing ploy used by ElectricRider.com, then adopted by others.

I knew the roadrunner because several vendors post speeds of them, and they compared to the Ebikes.ca results for a 408 and the 409, depending on who's results you look at. the 408 is what I've seen others refer to it as, as well. Electricrider's posted speed matches my 408 at both voltages.

As for the others, the Crystalyte Phoenix (Racer, Cruiser, Brute) are the 530X series. I've never seen anything consistant with claims on them, but guess they are probably the 5302, 03, and 04.

Crystalyte Roadrunner most often is labled with results making it a 408.

Crystalyte Sparrow I've seen this listed a few ways. Mostly I've seen it as the Brushed version, with speeds equil to a 408, but a 600 watt motor. I've also seen it on Ebay as a slower rated but listed as brushless motor

the 48v 10ah would probably be just fine. It's rated up to 550w. all the 400 series are 500w or under...http://crystalyte.com/pmdcc1fab.htm

I agree with morph. Under stock configuration the 10AH pack should do it. But if your customer is a little fluffy around the waist with a muffin top you might want to get a larger pack and a controller. I see alot fresh meat on the forum who who werent satisified with the smaller pack that they bought and we advised them to upgrade the controller realizing that the battery can support the newer higher Amp controller. If the customer has it in their budget get a 15 or 20 because it makes things alot easier in the long haul. They will appreciate the extended ranger and the extra power if they decide to upgrade.

10 ah will power a " roadrunner" motor with a 20 amp controller.

With a higher amp controller, a 15 or 20 ah size would be better.
Also if the ride is often longer than 10 miles, yeah, it will go further than 10 miles, but the key to a battery lasting having some reserve.
Also if the rider weighs over 200 pounds,
Also if the rider rides full throttle all the time,
Also if the rider has steep hills to climb, Also if the rider will pull a trailer.

So you see, the betting man says just get the 20 ah size. Ya got one chance to be right, and many chances to be wrong if you say, Sure the 10 ah will be fine.

I also like to consider the possibility that the battery owners needs may change, after all, this battery may last 3-5 years. Nobody I know ever got heavier as time went by.

Back