Windows Gaming PC hardware, building, troubleshooting, & benchmarking

Apparently some thermal pastes take a while to "cure" to reach their peak performance.
So its been 5 days since I did my grinding of the top of the heatsink off, and the thermal performance has only improved since then..

Here it is TODAY. I been testing it everyday and it just keeps getting a tiny bit cooler every day I test.
You can see the ambient temperature of the room via the Crucial MX300 SATA SSD drive that sits near the front case intake fan and isn't currently used for anything, so it's a good average air intake temp gauge, thus it can't be argued that the room was cooler/warmer for the temps tested today.
(77+75+74+71+70+69+67) = 503 / 7 = 71.8 average.
There are 7 temps because one of them is what I believe AIDA64 believes is the average, that being the temp listed at 70, it seems including that average could be argued as warping the numbers a bit.
So averaging it with out AIDA64's average would be 77+75+74+71+69+67 = 433 /6 = 72.1 average
2020-05-24 (1).png

And here it is again in its original form before any grinding with the nickel on top.
81+79+78+76+75+72+71 = 532/7 = ‭76‬ average
AIDA64 "average cpu" is also the 76 listed in the chart.
81+79+78+75+72+71 = 456/6 = ‭76‬ average
file.php

So what makes a computer fast these days? When I was building my own, there was faster RAM and there was cache, there were faster drives for the write back when you exceeded the first two, there was CPU speed and graphics speed depending on the function. Video used to be much the same as games, they used the same animation and composting software, any good fast game computer was also fast for video editing and effects. I'm wondering what will make for a fast, no screen freeze computer today.

Dauntless said:
So what makes a computer fast these days? When I was building my own, there was faster RAM and there was cache, there were faster drives for the write back when you exceeded the first two, there was CPU speed and graphics speed depending on the function. Video used to be much the same as games, they used the same animation and composting software, any good fast game computer was also fast for video editing and effects. I'm wondering what will make for a fast, no screen freeze computer today.
The best general value for money/bang for buck upgrade to a PC is to use a SSD drive over *any* mechanical HDD.

This article/image chart was written over 10 years ago comparing first generation SSD vs HDD still holds better than any today because most tech writers are pure useless shit.

Typical random read of a standard HDD is 0.3mb/sec vs 64mb/sec of an old SSD. There is NO POINT, of looking at HDD sequential read performance because hard drives defragment after your very first install of your OS and quickly get worse with time, conversely SSD drives barely degrade in noticeable performance via fragmentation compared to HDDs.

So the general "real world" read access of the SSD drive was 214 times faster. This massively helps loading of *any* program or general booting up of the OS.
A fast SSD takes the general traditional spot of wanting more RAM, because the SSD is so much faster and remotely comparable to RAM than slow mechanical HDDs the difference in adding ram to a PC with fast SSD is barely noticable, so you are always better off going for SSD over ram upgrade.
used-4kb-read-mbs.png
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2829/22

My modern SSD drive is 1348MB/sec at random read. So compared to 0.3MB/sec of random read performance of a regular mechanical HDD, my SSD is 4493 times faster in general performance than a HDD.
In general I tell people that an SSD is 10,000 times faster than a mechanical HDD, my SSD is still mid range performance.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/download/file.php?id=272128

My brother is trying to buy a laptop for his wife, but she fights with him about it because she wants lots of storage for photos and she sees laptops with 2TB of space for very little price and they apparently get into a battle over it because she can't understand for the life of her how "less is more with SSDs", she instead sees the 2TB of HDD space and simply thinks people would have to be completely stupid to buy a 500GB SSD storage instead.

I am disappointed that tech article writers haven't written enough articles to make these points more clear with easy to look at chart, ideally there should be a performance-chart of an SSD that is 10,000 points higher than a HDD, but no one has bothered to make one.

TheBeastie said:
I am disappointed that tech article writers haven't written enough articles to make these points more clear with easy to look at chart, ideally there should be a performance-chart of an SSD that is 10,000 points higher than a HDD, but no one has bothered to make one.

But... how else are they gonna sell off all the old stock they have :lol: ?

Dauntless said:

Quite a few things! Beastie touched on the most notable- Solid State drives- and now we have M.2 and NVME slots which put the drive directly on the motherboard making them even faster (!). We're legitimately to the point where physical layout of motherboards and physical throughput makes a big difference.

After SSD/M.2 drives you get to RAM; Intel has been lagging behind in utilizing RAM properly with only their recent (and VERY poorly named) processors timing their RAM up to ~2666 MHz, with the prior Ivy Lake and Coffee Lake series only 1833-2133MHz, respectively. On the other hand, AMD Ryzen has been taking advantage of RAM timings and the current 3900 (I think) natively supports over ~3000MHz- meaning their RAM has double the speed of old.

Even decommissioned office PCs can be made to be pretty fast now. The 7040 and 9040 workstation PCs have M.2 slots of the MoBo's stock! It's never been better to game.

Back