• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

Xt-90S spark arresting connectors - Really work?

I recently started to replace my sadly abused Anderson connectors with newer XT-90S spark arrestors to "eliminate" the big surge into the caps of my controller. When I used to connect the Andersons I could detect a big burst of RF noise on my Grin amplifier/stereo as the spark happened - my speakers would "pop" with a messy loud sound. I'm getting the same RF blast with the 90s connectors. Could a greatly reduced spark produce a similarly loud speaker pop?

Thanks

The RF noise is from an electromagnetic field, and I'd guess it's from the capacitors charging up rapidly. You will see and hear the spark right at the connectors if there is a spark.

The value which I think is 10 ohms is way too small and the wattage is way too small. (1/4 watt?)
You have to plug them in part way wait a couple of seconds for the controller to charge up then push it in the rest of the way so the resistor is out of the circuit.

One day i did'nt push it in all the way. It toasted the resistor and melted the connector.
I cut it off and put a normal XT-90 on it and things worked better.
I already have a 150 or 200 ohm 10 watt spark precharge in my wiring.

velias said:
The value which I think is 10 ohms is way too small and the wattage is way too small. (1/4 watt?)
You have to plug them in part way wait a couple of seconds for the controller to charge up then push it in the rest of the way so the resistor is out of the circuit.

One day i did'nt push it in all the way. It toasted the resistor and melted the connector.
I cut it off and put a normal XT-90 on it and things worked better.
I already have a 150 or 200 ohm 10 watt spark precharge in my wiring.

No, you don't have to plug in part way and wait several seconds. I just connect normally and smoothly and see/hear no spark on my 48V battery, 30A controller. Whereas with Andersons a loud spark and blackening of the tips.

Wondering if there is a reason there aren't no spark connectors for the XT-60 connectors... I don't like that spark at the connector or at my outlet when I plug my charger in.

Not enough customers have asked for the spark version of the XT60 for the factory to make them. Even though we are using XT connectors on ebikes, we are not their main market. These were developed for 22V RC models (aircraft, cars, boats), and the spark version appeared shortly after many large quadcopters began using 44V.

A stand alone anti-spark circuit is very cheap and easy to make, if you like...

Back