You meet the nicest people on a Honda

I love my two Honda Elite CH150's for to town travel. It is very nimble in town traffic, but a little squirrelly on interstate highways and a bit slow at 55-60 top end speed. But, i get a good 85 mpg. :D

My apologies Lebowski for the hijacking but favorite Honda picture with my dad on a SW run:
2014_04_20_13_09_15 (1).jpg
And dammit, digging out that photo this popped up - not Honda but '67 Yamaha Big Bear taking grandma for a ride:

wineboyrider said:
I love my two Honda Elite CH150's for to town travel. It is very nimble in town traffic, but a little squirrelly on interstate highways and a bit slow at 55-60 top end speed. But, i get a good 85 mpg. :D
I owned a scooter shop from '84 to '92 and usually kept a '85 or an '86 CH150D around as my personal ride. I just loved cruising around at nite w/ the blue dash glowing on my face and imagining it could levitate AkA Blade Runner. Called the Spacy in Japan, I still think it's futuristic looking.
If it was good enough for Devo,....
images.jpg
Actually, they were CH125's.

Ykick said:
My apologies Lebowski for the hijacking but favorite Honda picture with my dad on a SW run:
View attachment 1
And dammit, digging out that photo this popped up - not Honda but '67 Yamaha Big Bear taking grandma for a ride:
I recconize that helmet, a Bieffe.
They are great liteweight value helmets.

motomech said:
Ykick said:
View attachment 2
View attachment 1
I recconize that helmet, a Bieffe.
They are great liteweight value helmets.

Purchased here spring 1998 because what started as cold rain between Lubbock, TX - Clovis, NM wound up a full fledged blizzard a few more miles west of Clovis.
IMG_0501.jpg
Memorable part of that trip, 'hauled major ass (90+ MPH) and arrived in Clovis before I’d left Lubbock, LOL…

I don’t normally ride full face but when it gets cold and wet enough, I know when I’m licked.

@motomench : My first street bike was a Honda XL100 and I was licensed and insured at 13 years of age. I always drooled over the Honda Scooters at the local Honda dealership. I always wanted one and a few years ago I saw a used otne for sale on craigslist for $500 and couldn't resist. A few years later in 2014 I picked up another with title issues for $200 bucks in better shape than my silver one. I love them wouldn't let them go for the world. I am hoping the motorcycle gods will grant me a Honda Shadow, but until then I am enjoying my scooters. 8)

markz said:
You want old or new Honda Shadow?

http://motorcycleviews.com/pictures/21yearsofhondashadow.htm

Motorcycling minds think alike as that was to first thing i wondered about as well

I was fairly lukewarm about the Shadow line-up until the 750 A.C.E came out in '99. W/ it's superb ergos.(for a cruiser)and it's excellent "fit and finish", it quickly became one of my fav. test drives.
Which was a good thing because Honda sold a boat-load of them thru the early 2000's.

markz said:

A used one of course! I can't afford new anything too many kids to raise....LOL But, you can find them cheap on craigslist for about 2000 bones.

wineboyrider said:
markz said:

A used one of course! I can't afford new anything too many kids to raise....LOL But, you can find them cheap on craigslist for about 2000 bones.

What years you talking about, for 2k or under?

I use a C70 for my winter commute. It's the only gasoline vehicle I really use anymore, but it is a case-study in motorbike design.

amberwolf said:
boytitan said:
How bad are we talking getting sucked over because I have been looking into getting a csc rx3 and they are around the same weight. both are 250 cc bikes. I have read the rx3 can handle high way use but never heard of this getting sucked into 16 wheelers issue.
I ride just on regular roads, and am riding an electric bike (or the trike) that weighs as much as a small motorcycle, especially when loaded with cargo, even without me on it.

I get passed closely by city buses fairly often, and large delivery trucks or big rigs occasionally and I have learned that if I see one coming up behind me, I have to move at least to center of lane, and sometimes further left in the lane to force them to go around me in the other lane, because if I don't then as they pass me I'll get sucked towards them, and to avoid that I have to pull to the right. If I am already at the right edge of the road, I have nowhere to go, and cant' get far enough away to not be sucked towards them as they pass me.

Since I am typically going about half their speed, or a bit more, depending on their speed (mine is usually just under 20MPH when on roads they'd be on), it takes them a moment to pass me, so the problem exists long enough to worry about. Worse, they are only going around me just enough to clear me and often start moving back into my lane before they have finished passing me, which makes the problem worse. Since there is other traffic behind me in many cases, stopping or slowing severely to let them get around me is not an option without high risk of being hit from behind by people already impatient with the bus itself.

Once the bus passes I can move to the righthand part of the lane again.

I imagine the problem at higher speeds is even worse, like on the highway. (and you have less options as to what to do about it)

I never had that problem with buses. How ever if I notice a bus behind me I start hauling to not only get in front of it but get significantly ahead of it.Once it gets stuck at a few red lights and drop offs I am clear. Buses here are slow will take up the bike lane and force you into the traffic lane and block your view, or force you behind them slow you down to their pace and also still block your view. If I am going fast I get in front the bus usually I notice the bus coming from a block or 2 away. If I am going to slow I just stop riding and let the bus get ahead for a minute or 2 if its going to turn on to a different street. Getting caught behind a bus can cost me 10 minutes in my commute. The blocking your view thing is a safety hazard. I can't imaging how Id deal with buses on a motorcycle that seems
like a nightmare to commute times.

Anyone know if u can get a honda rebel in the U.S. it does look kind of fun.

MarkZ wrote:What years you talking about, for 2k or under?
They vary a lot, between 2003-2012 and there are slews of them for sale here, because everyone wants a Harley, but can't afford a new one. I have seen really nice steals for Honda Shadow on craigslist all the time. http://lascruces.craigslist.org/mcy/5906609179.html heres one. This is New Mexico we can easily ride about 10 months out of the year without heating gear. 8)

My favorite was my 1983 VT500. I put a lot of miles on it and once rode from San Francisco to Moab, Utah and back. After 10 years I had to sell it when I moved. I sold it for nearly the same amount that I bought it for new.

I removed the stickers on the side covers and had a small café fairing. 6 speed trans and shaft drive were nice. Never had any problems with it, other than a few minor crashes.

This one is not mine, but identical.

wineboyrider said:
MarkZ wrote:What years you talking about, for 2k or under?
They vary a lot, between 2003-2012 and there are slews of them for sale here, because everyone wants a Harley, but can't afford a new one. I have seen really nice steals for Honda Shadow on craigslist all the time. http://lascruces.craigslist.org/mcy/5906609179.html heres one. This is New Mexico we can easily ride about 10 months out of the year without heating gear. 8)
W/ the larger Honda V-twins, the cams can be turned upside down(180 degrees)and it will sound like a Harley.

My big first bike story:

So I was just out of high school, maybe college had the first day already. I was driving my $100 reclamation project car to my friend's house one Saturday, going past his neighbors garage sale as he pushed out a small Honda. I wind up telling Jim I'd have thought he'd be all over that bike.

"Bike? He's selling the bike?" And 5' 10" 220 pound Jim was waddling as fast as he could. I walked fast to keep up. But with what he was spending to rebuild his engine at the time, he didn't want to throw ny more money around on this questionable bike, even if he was DYING to ride SOMETHING. Well if he didn't want it, I might was well pull everything from my pocket, change and all, and take a shot. Jim was a bit surprised the guy took it.

So I stuffed it in the back seat of my car and took it home before helping Jim with his car. Danged if I didn't just HAVE to try to get this started first. I think I just cleaned the plug and primed it. leading to the first of many times I discovered that the only reason some old bike is at the back of the garage not running is because they managed to crank the battery dead one day then let the bike sit for years. My little brother was on the eve of his own license as he stood there taking notice that I was getting another cheap motor vehicle back on the road.

So I rode slow past the guy's house, standing up on the bike. I'm sure you could picture his face. Jim, meanwhile, started offering me twice what I paid for it. Clown that he always was.

So what was it? It might have been Supercub or a Passport. It might have been a Honda Dream. At the time I was thinking it was a 110cc, but that was probably an assumption. But I would only have ever known what it was if I'd rode it around some one who knew. All that happened with it was that I rode it to my department store job on Monday, left it at home while I was at school on Tuesday. so my psycho older brother came over and tore my room apart looking for the key. Criminal minds like his are good at finding things. It was the first of several of my bikes he would destroy. Within a half mile of the house, no less. He had already destroyed several of our oldest brothers bikes, plus there'd be more.

In the next few years he and our youngest brother would destroy, of mine, two mopeds, a dirt bike on the street, as well as a streetbike in the dirt. Sometimes they'd have to crack it up a few times to get it off the road permanently. Lock it with a chain and they'd cut it off. Nothing is safe around those two.

the honda eCUB electric scooter by shanghai customs:
https://www.designboom.com/technology/honda-ecub-electric-scooter-shanghai-customs-08-11-2017/

honda-eCUB-electric-scooter-shanghai-customs-designboom-600.jpg

:wink:

Bought a used 1999 Honda Shadow vt1100 and I love it! Mileage is only 45 mpg, but it should be very low maintenance. Paid 2200 bones for it. 8) :p

Back