zzzt, wow what a trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawnn

100 W
Thank you for contacting the Seattle Police Department (SPD) regarding your concern and interest in complying with traffic laws associated with electric-assisted bicycles.

Enforcement of RCW’s 46.04.169 (Electric-assisted bicycle) and 46.04.071 (Bicycle) by law enforcement officers is dependent on officers’ judgments and observations. Officers do write citations for moving violations, including for speed limit overage, to bicycle operators. However, officers must have ‘reasonable suspicion’ to conduct a traffic stop rather than solely pulling over an electric-assisted bicycle operator to verify the motor’s wattage does not exceed 1000 watts or to test its ability to exceed 20 mph. In the event of a serious collision involving an electric-assisted bicycle, it would then be properly tested and investigated for the aforementioned requirements.

In general, operators of electric-assisted bicycles are advised to ride safely and within the parameters of traffic laws.

Whoa.

It's hard to imagine how to fit more incorrect thoughts and misunderstood concepts into a single post.

I think there should be an award, or maybe the whole thing should be added to the funny quotes section.

*NOTE*

The original contributor, jawnn, decided to play some silly games and edited both the title of this thread and his original post to remove all the contentious and misleading information it contained. Much of it is reproduced verbatim in the quotes in my original response to it, below. This comment was added when I edited this post on 15th February 2011.

jawnn said:
Peak efficiency

All motors have a peak efficiency rpm, when powered past that rpm the efficiency goes down sharply and they start burning out. Cars use tachometers because they have so many different gears. With a single gear configuration it is easy to know what the motor’s RPM is by the speed, if you know what that peak efficiency speed is. It would be better to use a tachometer if you can get one. Actually an ammeter with a volt meter is more important.

Not at all true. Running a motor at high torque load BELOW it's reasonable efficiency rpm range will burn it out, not running it at high rpm.

jawnn said:
If you want to understand the math, go to page 105 of 'Build your own electric motorcycle' by Carl Vogal http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19368

I understand the math fine, but that doesn't change the fact that the statement about rpm and burning motors out is incorrect.

jawnn said:
Cheap controllers and batteries can also burn out if under sized for the maximum current flow.

Not true either. Controllers have in built current limiting, so all that will happen if you use an undersized one (assuming you don't go around modifying it) is that you'll get less power from the system. For example, if I hook up a tiny 6 FET 36V Xiechang, with it's 15A current limit, to a 5304 motor, that's capable of a few kW, then all that will happen is that I'll get crappy performance from the motor. Nothing will blow up, it just won't work well.

The same is true for batteries. An undersize battery pack will just sag under load and give poor performance. It's likely it won't last too long either, but it's unlikely to blow up.

jawnn said:
Heavy vehicles on steep hills need batteries with a high discharge rate, not cheap lead acid batteries that end up costing more than you think. Thundersky batteries are best.

What? If you want high discharge rates, then actually lead acid aren't too bad. They are usually capable of running at high rates (which is why they are used as car starter batteries, where they deliver around 10 to 15C) but they don't have a lot of capacity for their weight. In terms of current capability, lead acid probably outperforms the Thunderskys! Sure, lead acid isn't a good choice for an ebike, but that's because they are big and heavy to get usable capacity and give a decent range. Thundersky cells are, at best, average. There are many far, far better lithium chemistry cells around.

jawnn said:
Gear reductionCalculate wheel speed needed then find ratio of gears:

Wheel diameter x pi x motors peak efficiency RPM / 12”per foot x 60min. / 5280ft per mile = wheel speed without gear reduction / 15mph = ? to 1( gear reduction needed.)

20mph is the legal limit for pedal assist bicycles; a motor can be forced to drive 5mph faster than the peak efficiency so 15 ‘should’ be your cruising speed if not using a Cycle Analyst http://www.ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml

A 20” drive wheel maybe needed for a single stage reduction, or a sheave made from a wheel rim on bigger wheels. If the rpm goes over 2000 the motorcycle chain may be too noisy.

The lower the voltage the slower the RPMs but it will increase the amperage. Most electric motors can’t be run on 12 volts because the windings can’t handle the increased amperage of the lower voltage. So they may need a two-stage gear reduction, which could loose at least another 10% of the energy into the gears.

Some pretty mixed up stuff there. The peak efficiency stuff is fairly meaningless - most PM motors have a pretty broad spread of efficiency with torque. Work out gearing for the full load rpm of the motor at the maximum speed you want to go. Full load rpm can be pulled off the motor plots with a bit of quick calculation of the drop in rpm from the no load, full throttle condition at the full load anticipated torque.

The statement about chains being noisy over 2000 rpm is meaningless. Chain noise is a function of chain pitch (which varies a great deal) and the smallest sprocket size. Big pitch chains and small tooth count sprockets are noisy at lower speeds than smaller pitch chains and higher tooth count sprockets. That 2000rpm figure doesn't make sense, I'm afraid.

jawnn said:
HUB MOTORS

Hub motors cannot use 12volts because the thickness of the wire needed for the higher current will not fit through the axle. 48-volt motors are not more efficient than using lower voltage, but it is good for a motorcycle that you don't need to drive slowly up steep hills (4 to 500lbs fully loaded).

Well, some sort of mixed up stuff in there again, but there is an element of truth there. For sure, trying to run thick wires into a hub, in order to get a high torque capability, is tough. This doesn't have anything really to do with voltage though. Bear in mind that a motor running on 48V at 1/4 throttle up a hill (i.e. in current limit on the controller) may only have 12V at the motor anyway.

The efficiency statement is backwards. A higher voltage for a given power will always give better system efficiency - it's why power transmission is always done at the highest voltage possible.

jawnn said:
The largest gear reduction hub motor is far from enough to do what the same gear reduction would do at 12 volts, because the difference in RPMs created by different voltages.

What? There's no reason at all why a geared hub motor shouldn't be perfectly capable of providing enough torque for the job. The rest of the statement is pretty meaningless AFAICS.

jawnn said:
The good hill climbers use three planetary gears to lower the RPMs and those gears use up as much energy as a three stage reduction. All hub motors are geared too high to keep you under 20mph and unless you limit the amps to control the speed, they are illegal. And if you are in a wreck using an illegal vehicle you will get the blame even if it is not your fault.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=23357
http://www.x-tremescooters.com/techdocs/adobe/e-bicycle-fed-regulation.pdf

Loads of mixed up stuff in there, too, I'm afraid. Planetary gear reduction systems can be pretty close in efficiency to any other gear reduction method. An ordinary car auto transmission uses planetary gears, for example. The statement about hubs being geared too high to stay under 20 mph is backwards. Most hub motors are at their best below 20mph, especially geared hubs. In fact, unless you run at high voltages it's hard to get them to go much over about 25mph, providing you start out with a well-matched motor/wheel size/battery voltage combination.

The legality thing I can't comment on - here the law is 15mph and 250 watts.................

jawnn said:
If you do limit the amp flow to make them legal, you limit the hill climbing torque.

A grain of truth at last. Restricting current will always restrict torque, all else being equal. However, what's that got to do with being legal? Surely legality has more to do with power and speed than torque, doesn't it? There's no reason not to have a controller that allows the full legal power at low speed on a hill, to give maximum torque, and that also limits motor speed under lighter load conditions to restrict speed to the legal limit.

jawnn said:
The ‘Cycle Analyst’ maybe able to control the speed without eliminating the slow speed amps.

The CA limits speed by cutting back the throttle, which then cuts back the current, so this isn't right.

jawnn said:
But there is still a chance you could burn out power system if you run too many amps threw it at too low of a speed.

True, if your controller was mismatched to the motor and had a current limit that was set too high - but why would you run a mismatched system like this?

jawnn said:
A good meter will help keep your vehicle alive. A heat sensor would be good also.

Generally sound, I wouldn't disagree with either, if you're running at the edge of the system's performance capability. If you're running a fairly low power standard type ebike set-up, then it's far less valid, as the controller should provide pretty much all the protection you need.

jawnn said:
The Scott 1hp upgrade is the motor to use http://www.cloudelectric.com/product_p/mo-4bb3995.htm

That looks to be a pretty crappy brush motor, most probably based on a cheap Chinese MY series with some mods. Frankly it's hard to imagine a less efficient or reliable motor for an ebike.

jawnn said:
I have seen no evidence that hub motors are good for anything but light weight vehicles on light duty hills. Or just for racing.

Well, as hub motors are used in a very wide range of vehicles, from ebikes to massive earth movers weighing many tens of tons, I can't agree with this. A geared hub motor in a well matched low power (legal) system can climb hills pretty much as well as any other ebike of a similar power. If you want illegal speeds and good hill climbing, then driving through the gears on the bike is probably better, but I'm assuming here that this is related to a low power, speed restricted, legal ebike.

jawnn said:
And if you want more info, go to my blog: http://commutercycling.blogspot.com

Nice to see that you're spreading this misinformation around the web.......... Not so nice to see you link it back to here. I take pride in trying to give the very best info I can on this forum, so would rather it not be connected to misleading and incorrect information such as that on your blog, I'm afraid.

Jeremy

You have amazing patients and kindness to help him like that Jeremy.

You're a good man.

Wow Jeremy! well done! the OP was so bad I just skipped through and read your corrected version.

Jeremy, Congrat! on that :wink:

You do what many of us would like to but rarely do. eventhough your time is precious.

One day i'm sure someone will pay it forward to you :wink:

I admire your attitude.

Doc

jawnn...it's you isn't it Morph999, why that name change? :p

KiM

Thanks guys, that was the best part of an hour spent scribbling those attempts at corrections, and I missed some points even then.

What bugs me here is that the OP looks to have done some research and has managed to collect a large quantity of misinformation, presumably from various places around the net, and collate and publish it into both the original post and a blog, where others may read it and assume it's correct. The net result will be yet more people being disappointed when they find that things don't work as they expected, which impacts on the reputation of low powered electric vehicles as a whole.

ES is generally pretty good in terms of having accurate information, much of it based on real testing and experience by a pretty large number of contributors. Other places around the web obviously don't seem to be as concerned with getting things right.

Jeremy

I'm still wincing from the pain of having to read the OP first paragraph. :roll:

I too am glad Jeremy had the patience to correct this. :D

Jeremie... Thank you .. thats comming from an electrically handecapped E- biker.. I've been reading your posts,and starting to understand most of what you are saying . :) People like you ,and others on here keep people like me from making big mistakes ... Bill

This statement is taken from the top of his blog;

"Ignorance is not bliss, it is just a waste of time!"

I couldn't agree more. I find it ironic that this statement is used on a blog with more misinformation than I have ever seen in one place related to electric bikes. I have no doubt his intentions are well meaning. However, much of what is said is being communicated with a sound of authority and experience. That misleads people easily. I also noticed the poor grammar and syntax. I do not mean to nit-pick, but these things jump out at me when reading something presented as authoritative.

Matt

About Me
Prof.Prodromal
"prodromal" adjective: symptomatic of the onset of an attack or a disease................ "pro·drome" pro·drom'ic –noun Pathology. A premonitory symptom. Warning symtom indicating onset of diease....... "Premonitory": That gives warning in advance; Serving as a premonition...... "Prodromos": Forerunner.

wtf?

I read some of his other bike stuff and have come to the conclusion that he has got to be related to our old buddy Safe.

Bubba

Who is the "Chuck" guy who he says helped him?

Is this Chuck guy someone equally clueless/mislead, or did this guy just badly misinterpret what he was reading.

It reminds me a lot of Morph, where you can essentially just conclude every post with something like "the opposite of everything stated in this is post is correct." Yet, the motor flavor nonsense has a lot of Safe flavoring...

Oh boy, Safe.......... You're right, I'd forgotten about him. The main difference is that Safe would always use as many colours as possible in every post, plus he'd post reams of pretty meaningless graphs, often with so little factual basis behind them that they could have been wallpaper.

He did have a love affair with crappy MY series brushed motors though. I seem to remember him painstakingly rewinding them to gain an extra 1% or something. Talk about polishing a turd.

Jeremy

Must admit...I'm lost here!

At first I thought it was one of those clever spammers...

Safe allways gave some colour to our grey posts... :mrgreen:

What was the name of those guy that blures his bike pictures and writes top secret al over them?

HAL9000v2.0 said:
What was the name of those guy that blures his bike pictures and writes top secret al over them?

I think you are talking about Deafscooter. He was known for writing his name or the words "Top Secret" all over everything.

Wow, "Safe". I have not heard that name in a while.......

Matt

I miss deafscooter.

I liked the stuff about sprinkling lithium into lead acid batts.
I liked that he actually mounted giant motors on tiny scooters, and I liked his enthusiasm.
I think he is local to me now (SF bay area).
I would do a ride with him.

Chuck (from texas) invested a lot of time helping Jawann out in a quest for a 70% efficient drive system....
look here for the straight dope:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19368

I think we have enough piling on here..maybe this could get moved to the biker bar Where we can reminiss our brothers out on the lonely road..... Safe,Lipobiker,Jscoot, (yes i know thats (at best) 1.7 guys)

Maybe pour a little electrolite on the floor for our fallen brothers...

I am still looking for the SECRETS...which of you all are holding out on us?
i was hoping for a perpetual motion device discusion :( :( :( :(

Thud said:
I am still looking for the SECRETS...which of you all are holding out on us?
i was hoping for a perpetual motion device discusion :( :( :( :(

ROFL...Perhaps we should also make E.S member's aware of your "joint 104mph pedal bike project" :: snickers:: with thine82 over at Motorbicycling.com ThudSTeR ... i think the brain trust here would be veeeeery interested in it :mrgreen:

KiM

Needless to say I doubt the OP will be back in this thread. If im wrong it will be quite interesting im sure!

Thud said:
Chuck (from texas) invested a lot of time helping Jawann out in a quest for a 70% efficient drive system....
look here for the straight dope:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19368

I missed that thread, but it does have some gems in it, like this quote:

But I do need an explanation of why people tell that 36 to 48 volts systems are the only efficient way to go. Actually it appears to me that the 12 volt system is the only way to get really good efficiency (amazing to me), which will really upset all these people. But I knew for a long time that they didn’t really know what they were talking about.

This explains a lot. It seems that a lot of duff information managed to get compiled, probably innocently, into some conclusions that have turned out to be mainly incorrect. Easy to do if you've not had a technical education or the benefit of some self-tuition in this stuff, preferably by experience.

The main point that comes out time and time again in that thread is a certain amount of confusion over the basics, like the relationship between power, rpm and torque or the impact of speed and gradient on power required. There are references to things like a "45hp Etek motor", a mythical beast, given that the Etek was capable of around 1/10th of that for any period of time, that seemingly went uncorrected, and comments that show that some of the fairly complex initial stuff that Chuck tried to help with hadn't been understood properly.

To be fair, that thread seems to have started right in at the deep end, with some stuff that probably served to confuse more than it helped. Rough estimates of power and gear ratios required, right at the beginning, would have sufficed for sizing and selecting components and made it easier to reach some more meaningful conclusions as to how things really work.

Jeremy

There were some other items that he'd put on his blog that appear also to be a bit 'misinformed..."

Wheels should have at least 36 14-gauge spokes, 20" wheels with box wall rims are stronger than big wheels and the rim pulleys may stress out the wheels less than motor cycle sprockets.

Bicycle drive chains are not strong enough for more than ½ hp motors so motor cycle chains or automotive belts are needed for a 1hp motor (the legal limit)

A good reason to use motorcycle sprockets is that you can change the size if you need a lower gear on your regular route's worst hill.

Gasoline motors will probably need a two-stage reduction because they are too fast and they may need a tachometer more than electric motors.

Problems with belt drives:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23418

Trike stability
Delta trikes and quads need a differential to use a single stage reduction; unless you can live with a lopsided traction drive (but that can push the nose of a delta trike to one side on wet hills).

Two-wheel positive traction can be had with a jackshaft, but will need a two-stage reduction.Delta trikes also have a tendency to roll over on a fast turn. The only thing that can be done for that is to weight down the rear wheels and lower the seat, then slow down.

A tadpole trike can spin out of control if the rear wheel is too close to the front and may be forced into a spin by too much weight on the rear; don’t use slick tires.

But if the rear wheel is farther back it will need more weight to keep a grip on the road in an emergency stop-turn. In line tandem tadpole trikes probably will not have this problem. But the front wheels of heavy tadpole trikes should be built with the spokes all the same length to handle the lateral forces.http://commutercycling.blogspot.com/2007/10/trike-wheels.html

Low seats help keep trikes from flipping over, but they could still use a crash cage even if just to climb out of the seat.

Brakes are the most important thing
Only hydraulic disc brakes can be synchronized perfectly, but a double lever is not available, except for the Magura BIG brakes: http://www.greenspeed.com.au/magura.html

Drum brakes modulate better and give you more control over stopping than cable pull disc brakes, but are available only in cable pull and are no good in the rain.

If you insist on using a bigger motor than 1hp like the mars 909 http://www.cloudelectric.com/product_p/mo-me-0909.htm
at 48 volts with out adequate gear reduction you will need to use motorcycle brakes and lights.
more info here http://commutercycling.blogspot.com/2010/01/httpwildnaturesolutions.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back