Unofficial Endless Sphere facebook

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys.
I mentioned that i was thinking about having an unofficial Endless Sphere facebook page a while back.
Well, i set it up and never really publicized it other than in my signature.

Just thought i'd throw out one last plug for the unofficial ES facebook page.

Nobody has to join; it is just a way of keeping in touch in the event that the server goes down. Also, an interesting way to put a face to a name.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/endless.sphere/

Hope to see you there.
-David

Sounds like it could be popular with most posters (since it is voluntary). Is there any way to make the facebook members list alphabetical according to username? ie: spinningmagnets would be under S, instead of Ron under R.

edit: I tried to use this pic as my avatar, so potential customers can see what a trustworthy face I have (after the plastic surgery from the witness protection program), but that apparently that requires the skills of a 12-year-old who is a zen master at video-games, which I am sadly lacking.

edit: finally got it to work..

Spinningmagnets.jpg

spinningmagnets said:
Sounds like it could be popular with most posters (since it is voluntary). Is there any way to make the facebook members list alphabetical according to username? ie: spinningmagnets would be under S

I wish. I suppose i could alphabetically organize it from time to time.

Too bad it's not viewable without logging into facebook, making it unusable for folks like me that dont' (and wont') have a fb account. ;)

unusable for folks like me that dont' (and wont') have a fb account
Michael, my old friend...(*heavy sigh*,....yes, I know your REAL name, and you have been red-flagged to the neo-Stasi)...how long will you resist assimilation? when they implant the chip in the back of your right hand (or your forehead for those missing a right hand), its not nearly as painful as the rumors have said...

amberwolf said:
Too bad it's not viewable without logging into facebook, making it unusable for folks like me that dont' (and wont') have a fb account. ;)
+1
Not going near that cesspool

amberwolf said:

Sorry. Facebook is big which is why i am using it. I thought about using other online communities, but this is the predominant one that most people using the internet are on already.

I did not want to make something that most people would have to create an account for. It is likely that it would be forgotten in the browser history or big file of bookmarks.

On Facebook, you have a little icon for Endless Sphere on the left at all times once you join - pretty convenient.. it is always there, and never forgotten.

spinningmagnets said:
unusable for folks like me that dont' (and wont') have a fb account

Amberwolf, my old friend...(heavy sigh)...how long will you resist assimilation? when they implant the chip in the back of your right hand (or your forehead for those missing a right hand), its not nearly as painful as the rumors have said...

+1more ES is as close as I'm getting to plugging myself into the Matrix, so you guys can swing away knowing that you'll always still have some friends here in the real world to pull the plug and hit the EMP button.

Reading between the lines, I get its all some weird master plan
I have reason to think this way

Just my opinion

spinningmagnets said:
Well, if this DOES catch on, perhaps call it the

National
Ebike
Riders
Directory

LOL!!! wish i woulda thought of that one.. too late for that though :)

We have 71 members as of writing, which frankly is higher than i thought considering the negative feedback i received on the idea.

spinningmagnets said:
Well, if this DOES catch on, perhaps call it the

National
Ebike
Riders
Directory

That's the last stigma we need, and not a good enough step up from being identified as those convicted of DUI and don't have a license. Come up with something to convey some of the following, though these would be more effective as flashing neon signs on out bikes.

1. 1000mpg club...no it's not a typo.
2. Ebikes are fun that can't be explained, only experienced.
3. Cars are cages, ebikes are freedom.
4. Get there fasteest on an ebike.
5. Cars are control, ebikes are freedom.
6. Ebikes are safer than cars (correcting a common misconception)

You'll probably notice that I left the environmental benefit side of ebikes out of the list. That's because that's a part where treading lightly may be most beneficial in terms of broadest acceptance. I think selling that portion as a side benefit would be the best approach. Tree huggers will naturally migrate toward ebikes and should be specifically targeted, but I'd venture to say that most of the general public would resist being pigeon-holed in that group. Sell ebikes as money savers, more convenient transportation devices, and being environmentally friendly all one neat package. Save the hard core environmental and efficiency impact stuff for when it's appropriate, such as setting pedalists straight.

I really like the idea, because I feel like it will be a way for people to get involved with endless-sphere without hearing about it any other way. Facebook is an incredible networking tool (as much as I've always hated that word) it really is incredible useful.

neptronix said:
We have 71 members as of writing, which frankly is higher than i thought considering the negative feedback i received on the idea.
It's not so much that I think the idea is bad (it's not), just that FB will not allow anyone except a FB member that is signed in to view the page at all, so it excludes anyone that doesn't wish to deal with the various issues of such sites and registrations. ;)

amberwolf said:
neptronix said:
It's not so much that I think the idea is bad (it's not), just that FB will not allow anyone except a FB member that is signed in to view the page at all, so it excludes anyone that doesn't wish to deal with the various issues of such sites and registrations. ;)

Yes, that is certainly a downside to FB.
Frankly i cannot imagine using something like Yahoo! Groups or some kind of MSN community though.
FB just has a crazy dominance now. I mean literally everyone i know i on facebook these days other than my 90 year old grandparents. I figured less people would have to sign up for something if i made a facebook group rather than some other site.

Or if i made an email list, it would just not get updated.

Yes this registering just the access information is what puts me off big time.
I already have more passwords than I can count and do not need one for the sole purpose of accessing a single page of information.

Why be a pain for your users when its really easy to add a page to an existing webserver as I believe ypedal has already?

I will never understand people who think its great that they have 3000 "friends" on facebook i guess.

Ricky_nz said:
Why be a pain for your users when its really easy to add a page to an existing webserver as I believe ypedal has already?

Any one remember that page? i lost the link myself. I looked on his homepage for it when the server went down and couldn't find a link to it.

What i like about the facebook groups is that nobody has to maintain the list of users.
You want to get in contact with someone on the list? you click on their name and send them a message within facebook.
Nobody has to expose their email address, or make sure it is updated; that already happens on facebook.

Would you really expect someone to reliably, manually, maintain a list of ES users in case of a server outage? I wouldn't do it personally.. and I don't think anyone else would either. It is one of those things that could easily get neglected.

neptronix said:
Any one remember that page? i lost the link myself. I looked on his homepage for it when the server went down and couldn't find a link to it.
He has a forum link on his front page.
neptronix said:
What i like about the facebook groups is that nobody has to maintain the list of users.
You want to get in contact with someone on the list? you click on their name and send them a message within facebook.
Nobody has to expose their email address, or make sure it is updated; that already happens on facebook.

Would you really expect someone to reliably, manually, maintain a list of ES users in case of a server outage? I wouldn't do it personally.. and I don't think anyone else would either. It is one of those things that could easily get neglected.
[/quote]
I guess because I've done that sort of thing before its just one of those easy things to do in that you setup it up once and it basically runs itself bar occasional updated to prevent abuse. A small php script and database and its done. It doesn't need baby sitting etc.
I guess on FB you need to still need to maintain a mapping between endless sphere and and FB username manually though.
Since FB is also a target for large hacking attempts I wouldn't trust them to keep email addresses private :lol:.

Ok I'm biased against Facebook but it is the new geocities after all :p :lol: .
If it works for you no problem but there is a group of users that won't go near it.

Ricky_nz said:
I guess because I've done that sort of thing before its just one of those easy things to do in that you setup it up once and it basically runs itself bar occasional updated to prevent abuse. A small php script and database and its done. It doesn't need baby sitting etc.
I guess on FB you need to still need to maintain a mapping between endless sphere and and FB username manually though.
Since FB is also a target for large hacking attempts I wouldn't trust them to keep email addresses private :lol:.

Ok I'm biased against Facebook but it is the new geocities after all :p :lol: .
If it works for you no problem but there is a group of users that won't go near it.

If you worked in IT for any amount of time, you'd realize that everything is a target for hacking attempts. So far, FB has been pretty damn good considering their size. If you expose a port or a form on the internet, someone's going to try to spam or hack it, guaranteed.

Yes, mapping the usernames to FB is a problem and must be done manually, however users can send each other messages or post to the group board and figure that out.

http://neptronix.org/forumpics/esfb.gif

I too could create a php script with a database of user information, but i feel like it would be some page floating in space that nobody would look at.

If you think you can do it a better way, take the initiative as i did. I can't make everyone happy, and i am okay with that. Not forcing anyone to join!

Ok,
I was mainly meaning that FB is a high value target amongst hackers so it is a bigger focus than many other sites.
Yes I see the hack attempts in my servers log etc but not getting in :lol:.
Its time I shut it down though, the 13year old box is due for replacment and the new box is setup, Just got to find time to sync the data and cut over etc.

All I require is a simple page from one of the regulars with contact with the site owners to state whats happening.
Anyone I communicate with regularly I would exchange details directly.

Anyway I'll leave you to it, I'll stop stirring and go back to my motor controller code :lol:.
Don't take the attachment too seriously :lol: saw it a while ago, googles suggestions feature comes up with some weird stuff sometimes.

Attachments

• fb_is_for.png
    fb_is_for.png
    7.7 KB · Views: 2,469
I'm with you on this, Ricky. I won't register on facebook for the same reasons, I siply don't trust them not to misuse information or get hacked, as they seem to be a prime target for hackers. Add in that it seems that my ex-wife has a Facebook page and it becomes a no-brainer for me not to sign up......................

Jeremy

I've joined the facebook group, but I just saw something a bit disturbing.

I clicked a link to a news article from a post here and was reading the comments of the article. Down the bottom it said I was logged in and was displaying my full name. Apparently that site was using a 'login with facebook' type of thing. So the site had full access to my name rather than just an anonymous IP.

Now I realise this is enabled client-side and I could disable cookies from facebook.com or something similar. But I most definitely don't want any type of automatic login to non-facebook sites. I'm seriously considering closing my facebook account.

LegendLength said:
I've joined the facebook group, but I just saw something a bit disturbing.

I clicked a link to a news article from a post here and was reading the comments of the article. Down the bottom it said I was logged in and was displaying my full name. Apparently that site was using a 'login with facebook' type of thing. So the site had full access to my name rather than just an anonymous IP.

Now I realise this is enabled client-side and I could disable cookies from facebook.com or something similar. But I most definitely don't want any type of automatic login to non-facebook sites. I'm seriously considering closing my facebook account.

I've seen that as well.
This is why i, and everyone else, should give facebook an extremely limited amount of information.

Facebook knows my full name, email address, what city i live in, and what i like. Nothing more. It is the same information that i put into endless sphere and other websites.

Now if you were putting your phone number, address, where you work, etc and were using a ton of apps, i see where you would be concerned. But facebook does not require that you put that information in.

You can't really hide your IP address these days, besides everyone is behind a firewall anyhow. You are not safe from your ISP sniffing your packets or the government. All it takes is a request from the RIAA or FBI to get detailed information on you.

Take it or leave it.. that's how the internet is these days. The privacy is gone, so don't enter in information that can be used against you, and you will be fine.

I don't care about my IP being public, that's the way it's supposed to work anyway. But my full name should never be given to any site automatically.

I've deleted my facebook account. For some reason it needs to wait 14 days to complete, heh.

Back