Nils Ferber's Drill Powered Trike-Awesome AND Crazy

MitchJi

10 MW
Hi,

Completely nuts, wildly impractical, and awesome design/implementation :):
http://www.nilsferber.de/ex.html
Screwdriver-powered vehicle "EX"

Using two 18-volt-screwdrivers as engines, the "EX" accelerates its driver up to 30 km/h.

Excentricity is defined as a deviation from what is ordinary or customary. To match this definition we couln´t just modify an existing vehicle but had to start designing something new from scratch. The result is a completely new driving concept: The driver lies headlong on his three-wheeled vehicle and accelerates the "EX" with sprawled out arms up to 30 km/h.
Eccentrically is also how the steering works: A specially developed joint tilts the back wheel and leans the driver´s weight dynamically into the curve.

The driver controls the vehicle with brake and gas handles and by tilting the back wheel with its body.

The headlong position gives you an exiting driving experience.
ex_driver_front.jpg

ex_driver_side.jpg

Check the drive:
ex_antrieb.jpg

Steering with the spine-shaped joint is very different from holding a steering wheel or handle bar. You have to use your whole body to tilt and bend the vehicle.
ex_joint.jpg

After going through numerous tests and models, the joint´s individual parts were CNC milled.
ex_back.jpg

ex_innereien.jpg

ex_wheel.jpg

Development described here:
http://www.nilsferber.de/ex_process.html
ex_blechgelenk.jpg

Some of the custom made aluminum parts we used for the drive mechanism.
ex_jewellery.jpg

That one is just a bit wierd. Maybe even two. ;)

Interesting ideas, though I'd much rather be laying down on my back to ride, if I had the choice. My neck would never handle that riding position. :(

zombiess said:
Leaning back too far will give a whole new meaning to "skid mark" :lol:

Why did they use drills?

Yeah! hehe! :lol:

I bet they didn't look much into high powered electric motors and just wanted to see what they could use off the shelf. I sure wouldn't want anything with significant power on that unwieldy of contraption!

I don't mind the concept entirely, but steering with the body is great for a "luge" type vehicle, but not for anything that is going to be used in the real world on the road.

That has to be one of the most complex ways of creating a simple "pivot" .. ! :lol:
some nice engineering , but a fundamentally flawed concept... no consideration for basic ergonomics ! :roll:
..and why do all that detail custom design & engineering,..... but then use two cordless drills ! :shock:

Hillhater said:
That has to be one of the most complex ways of creating a simple "pivot" .. ! :lol:
If this guy had invented the wheel, it would have six sides. His ride has no power, uncomfortable position, weird controls... And he's going to kiss the pavement at first emergency braking.

MadRhino said:
Hillhater said:
If this guy had invented the wheel, it would have six sides. His ride has no power, uncomfortable position, weird controls... And he's going to kiss the pavement at first emergency braking.

I was going to say the same but didn't want to be overly negative. I could ride it for a few mins and then my neck would be hurting. Steering looks way to difficult but would have to try it to know.

I guess I can't get pass the drill power either, just seems silly. It looks cool but very impractical.

The "power units" appear to be held on using "tie-wraps" :D
The throttle control seems to be a system of pushing the triggers on the drills ! :roll:
..and the riders support system seems to thin metal bars against the shins ! :shock: :eek:

..Its a shame, he obviously has some good engineering skills, but lost the plot somewhere along the way :? :cry:

Somebody once powered a Yugo or Metro with a drill, just to see if it could be done. :) It works, but you can crawl faster with your nose. :lol:

Back