GBP Battery Co / 48V 20Ah Li-ion

marty

1 MW
Is this a good battery for electric bicycle?
48V 20Ah Li-ion
(13 cells)
max discharge current 60A (peak)
185 x 165 x 150 mm (7.28" x 6.5" x 5.91")
8.90 kg (19.62 Lb)
2.jpg

Look at http://www.gbp-battery.com Think these are High Power Li-ion Battery? Look at the details. From a electrical point of view, is this a good battery? Size is small. Weight is a bit heavy? I like the fact that it has one charger.

GBP Battery Co. http://www.gbp-battery.com They got what looks to be, professionally made web site. (loads slow) Is this a real battery company? Or did evil people make a fake web site so suckers like myself send money to far away countries never to see $ again :cry:

Looks good. I seem to recall from the old forum difficulties/concerns importing gbp batteries....perhaps it was nothing unique to this company?

EbikeMaui said:
How do we know if battery is OK
Buy it and try it.

GBP Battery Co has not replied to my emails? Hope they alive? Like that 48V 20Ah small size

Just in today - Eon Lithium EV Battery 48V 25Ah :D http://www.electricrider.com All sold out :(

Would someone PLEASE sell me a small size lightweight battery! Seems like batteries come from China?

marty said:
Would someone PLEASE sell me a small size lightweight battery! Seems like batteries come from China?

Any joy here?

http://www.falconev.com/batteries.html

And the winner is............ GBP Battery Co. Watch and worry as girl in bank types at her keyboard and wires my money to bank on other side of this planet. For those of you who don't understand how emails and money travel from one computer to another? Please see picture of email bird.
emalbird.gif

Still wondering why GBP Battery Co don't receive some emails? Hope to have 48V 20Ah Li-ion soon.

Ypedal said:
did you get 2 x 24v or a 48v pack ? Limn or LiFe ?
One 48V pack. See first post, this topic.
mn or Fe? Don't know?
I copy and paste.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
GBP High Power Li-ion Batteries (HPLB): are rechargeable high capacity lithium-ion batteries whose capacities exceed 6Ah. GBP possess its own unique and patented high capacity lithium-ion battery technology to provide high power solution for every industry and has proven to get recognition from our customers. GBP utilizes advanced battery materials (LiM2O4+LiCoO2) on positive plates and electrolyte system (EC+DEC+DMC) and stacking technology which enables our HPLB higher safety and higher performance. Hereinto, GBP¡Â¯s patented Safety Valve used in HPLB makes HPLB more reliability.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
EVasdf.jpg

EVasdf1.jpg

EVasdf2.jpg

For more information? Go to http://www.gbp-battery.com

GBP possess its own unique and patented high capacity lithium-ion battery technology to provide high power solution for every industry and has proven to get recognition from our customers. GBP utilizes advanced battery materials (LiM2O4+LiCoO2)

I believe GBP is stating these are hybrid lithium manganese/cobalt cells. Batteryuniversity mentions hybrid "spinel" (manganese)/cobalt cells too. Apparently, as one might expect, performance lies in between manganese (high power density, low impedance over time, lower energy density, safer) and cobalt (low power density, rising impedance over time, higher energy density, less safe) lithium systems.

Though rated to 60 amps (3C), those charts suggest a 5C maximum drain rate (100 amps for your 20ah pack) -- right in line with a hybrid between 1-2C cobalt and 10-15C manganese. Looks good on paper!

marty said:
Ypedal said:
did you get 2 x 24v or a 48v pack ? Limn or LiFe ?
One 48V pack. See first post, this topic.
mn or Fe? Don't know?

Looks very nice. I hope you have smooth sailing throughout the entire process. BTW, how much for a 48V pack? I tried loading the page but no luck whatsoever.

giveahoot said:
BTW, how much for a 48V pack? I tried loading the page but no luck whatsoever.
I see no prices listed at http://www.gbp-battery.com Need to email and ask prices. Web site does load real s-l-o-w. I might be selling GBP High Power Li-ion Batteries in the future?

Ypedal said:
marty said:
[Need to email and ask prices. Web site does load real s-l-o-w. I might be selling GBP High Power Li-ion Batteries in the future?

You sent them money, but have no idea what you ordered or how much you paid ??? :?: Dude..... :lol:

Watch GBP ship him a crate of batteries and charge his card accordingly...

GBP: But sir, you ordered one hundred batteries!
Marty: I said I'd pay the going price for one humdinger of a battery, not one hundred batteries!

That's one way to dive into the biz, I guess.

Ypedal said:
You sent them money, but have no idea what you ordered or how much you paid ??? :?: Dude..... :lol:
Can not tell what I paid. Top secret. If I did tell you. I would have to kill you. Can not tell what I will sell batteries for, because I have no batteries to sell. You get nothing for nothing at VoltEV.com OK.... Dude..... :lol:

Got battery many months ago. Its been sitting on the floor. One of my many unfinished projects. OK.... Here's the report. Size and weight is almost exactly as stated. [See first post this topic] Came wrapped with some sticky brown cardboard. Think Xyster could do better with duct tape. See pictures.

TESTING! Fabrication guy is almost done with battery tester. 100W 50 Ohm resistor, and 55V bulb mounted to a sheet of aluminum.

Look at picture of the BMS. There are 4 gismos in it. See picture of gismo. [Gismo pictured is not mine] Did not take BMS apart because if it's not broke don't fix it. Rest of electronic stuff in BMS is covered with black goo.

Got questions about voltages? After charging, voltage of 13 cells should be about 54.6V Right? According to http://www.gbp-battery.com web site, each cell should be 4.2V at full charge. 4.2 x 13 = 54.6 Will BMS shut down when a certain low voltage is reached? What voltage would that be?

Will monitor voltage with meter while battery is discharging. Anything else I should know?

Attachments

• bms_gismo.jpg
    bms_gismo.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 4,786
  • 48V_20Ah_bms.jpg
    48V_20Ah_bms.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 4,786
marty said:
...Came wrapped with some sticky brown cardboard. Think Xyster could do better with duct tape. See pictures.

I'll put my duct tape up against anybody, anywhere, anytime. Oh, that sounds a little weird.... :wink:

Nice antique scale, btw.

Will monitor voltage with meter while battery is discharging. Anything else I should know?

Don't trust the BMS's cut-off. If it doesn't cut-out before 48.1v -- 3.7v/cell -- stop the power there. Depending on the BMS cell balance function, some cells could be substantially lower, and well into permanent damage territory by that point.

Battery tester is done. We testing. Battery load tester is real HOT! [portable battery powered oven?] Don't try this at home kids. After charging voltage was 54.8V It's slowly going down now.
xyster said:
Don't trust the BMS's cut-off. If it doesn't cut-out before 48.1v -- 3.7v/cell -- stop the power there. Depending on the BMS cell balance function, some cells could be substantially lower, and well into permanent damage territory by that point.
Sorry Xyster, I would rather sleep then watch battery discharge. Do have voltmeter hooked up. Keep looking at voltage. Don't have time for battery baby sitting. According to chart on page 1 of this topic. BMS cut off is around 2.75V per cell or about 35 volts for 13 cells. Will hope and pray that it does stop around 35V ?

For those of you who care? Here is parts list for battery tester. WARNING! it gets HOT!

3/16" x 12" x 12" aluminum sheet
RESISTOR Alcol 100W 50 Ohm, part # HS100 50R 1%
LAMP HOLDER SPC Technology, Miniature Bayonet socket, part # 21722
BULB SPC Technology, Miniature Bayonet lamp 55V, part # 1835
FUSE HOLDER Cooper Bussmann, 1/4 x 1-1/4, Panel Mount, part # S-8002-1-R
FUSE Cooper Bussmann, 5A, 1/4 x 1-1/4, part # AGC-5
CABLE CLAMP Thomas & Betts, Catamount, .125 Diameter, part # N4NY-002-0-M
FEET Plastic Bumper, 5/8" McMaster-Carr part # 9405K18

Anyone wana buy 98 small cable clamps, or 96 plastic bumper feet? Will give you good deal!

Attachments

• battery_tester.jpg
    battery_tester.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 5,675
Isn't that 50 ohm resistor only consuming something like 50 watts? You could do low load testing with the CBA and get a nice curved graph with a shut off that won't be so hard on your batteries.

marty said:
xyster said:
Sorry Xyster, I would rather sleep then watch battery discharge. Do have voltmeter hooked up. Keep looking at voltage. Don't have time for battery baby sitting. According to chart on page 1 of this topic. BMS cut off is around 2.75V per cell or about 35 volts for 13 cells. Will hope and pray that it does stop around 35V ?

No skin off my nose, but if there's a problem with the BMS as is not uncommon, you'll pay through the nose later for not taking a second or two while riding to check the voltmeter.

Testing is done. Next step is go buy a bicycle.

magudaman said:
Isn't that 50 ohm resistor only consuming something like 50 watts?
Don't know? My electrical design guy tell me to buy 100W 50 Ohm Resistor. Aluminum plate got hot. Think it was hot enough to cook a egg slowly? Test went for 12 to 20 hours? Don't know exact time, because I went to sleep. Could have cooked enough eggs to feed a small army?

magudaman said:
You could do low load testing with the CBA and get a nice curved graph with a shut off that won't be so hard on your batteries.
What's a CBA? Computer Battery Analyzer?

xyster said:
No skin off my nose, but if there's a problem with the BMS as is not uncommon,...
Voltage went to 0V :? According to what I read on this forum, discharging lithium batteries to 0V is bad :? Luckily.... I don't believe everything I read. Did I do Permanente damage? Hope not. From now on I will not call that electronic thing with multi colored wires on the side of battery a BMS. Suspect it does regulate charging?

After testing / killing? battery voltage was 0V. Charged it up. Red and Green lights on charger worked fine. Total voltage is now 53.7V Measured each cell.
8 at 4.2V
3 at 4.1V
2 at 4.0V

Hope to go bicycle shopping this week.

If it read a flat zero then the BMS may have shut it down. There most likely would still be a little voltage if you had destroyed your pack like you said. Draining a lithium battery to zero pretty much destroys it, so I would hope you didn't really do that either. The BMS will usually cut the power off way before that point to prevent damage. You really should watch the pack on a first discharge. But I guess if you you really don't have time for that then you could be out making money that you would need to replace that pack if the BMS didn't work.

Yes the CBA is computer battery analyzer and can be purchased here: http://www.westmountainradio.com

Back