41MPH EVG SX bike with Magic Pie motor

snellemin

10 kW
I had scored this EVG bike from craiglist a while back. Battery was toast and swapped in A123's in it's place and used it to pull a kids trailer around. I just recently swapped over my old equipment from my mountain bike to the EVG bike. Took me about 4 hours to do the swap and make it look clean. I still need to add the secondary kill switch, and hard wire the lights and all will be good.

Bike is running on 20s1p 5000mah right now. I only use about 2400mah going to work at max speed. I charge at work, so no need to have a 2p pack right now. When I do want some range and enjoy the ride some more, a 12s2p lipo pack can be used. Or I can swap in my A123's instead.

Top speed was 40mph a tailwind and 20s1p. 37 MPH otherwise which is plenty fast for me.

I was suprise to see how small the stock controller really was and that the horn was a 24V unit.

DSC05236.jpg

DSC05237.jpg

DSC05234.jpg

The Lyen 12fet sensorless controller took the place of the stock brushed controller. I had to knock a tab flat for the controller to sit nice.

DSC05239.jpg

I made a small adapter for the brake cutoff to work. No other mods were needed.

DSC05241.jpg

This pic shows the A123's installed.
DSC05243.jpg

Currently have a 5 speed freewheel installed and thinking about swapping in a 7speed 11T-28T freewheel in it's place.
DSC05244.jpg

DSC05245.jpg

Dude - nice build! the pie really fits the character of that bike.

you'll want to reinforce that rear seat post rack if it's carrying much though, BTW. Could crack the frame.

Thanks. It rides very well with the Pie. The rear rack mostly carries a spare tube and my bike lock. Still a work in progress. I'm waiting for the LED H3 bulb to arrive for the headlight. I added a small switch on the side for the 3 speed function. Yesterday I tried running on 23s1p, which is 27mph in first speed and 35 in second speed. Third speed got my heart pumping and chickened out to find out what the top speed was. 26x2.3 is the biggest tire that will fit inside the frame.

Here's my current settings

3speedsettings.jpg

I swapped in 23s1p lipo in there for a bit more top speed. My Blue Lipo which are 20C held me back a bit, as it drop more voltage under load vs the other 40C pack.

I got up to 41.74mph with a strong headwind.

EVGbike.png

Don't you love it! Taking an already made ebike that has blown motor or shot out battery and using it as a host, then swapping over your own kick ass motor and using the available battery space. That's the way to do it, nice job.
Myself I am always out on the lookout for non working ebikes to use as host. They come with great battery space built in.

Yea, it's fun swapping out the old stuff. Is amazing how stable this bike at 40mph vs my older bike.

I used the 50% speed setting and CA showed 18wh with an avg speed of 26-27mph. Used 1Ah in 5.5 miles.

DSC05305.jpg

DSC05313.jpg

DSC05321.jpg

DSC05319.jpg

DSC05318.jpg

DSC05317.jpg

DSC05311.jpg

Hi,

I just picked up one of these but the police edition apparently it is 36V. How is the acceleration with that magic pie?? Is this the 3rd version? where did u get it? Also you running A123 or Lipo and what capacity and range you are getting from it. Sorry for all the questions...

I use either Lipo or A123's depending on outside temps. Currently running Lipo's. The motor is a Magic Pie 2 that is made to be used with an external controller. Torque is amazing and it's a thin motor as you can see in the pics. I got from Goldenmotor.Ca website. Range is all depended on my speed and headwind really. In my economy speed setting, I get use around 1Ah per 5 miles. This morning I was pulling 2400W continuously in my speed setting.

Lipo setup for today is 23S1P 5000mah. For the Critical Mass ride, I setup for 15S2P lipo.
My A123's are 2P packs. I would like to change that to three 8S3P or four 6S3P packs when I can afford it.

I been looking for one now. I love the 36v sticker and I think you need to put a 500 watt sticker on it too. I think they might pull me over at the beach.

"The Lyen 12fet sensorless controller took the place of the stock brushed controller. "

Does it jerk at all with the sensorless controller?

Near 100v....wow and you squeezed 45mph at that voltage?
What was the amp draw?

Only knowing from what I've read here.......100v usually will get you 60+ mph on a 5303.

Nice build!
and I take it that you like the pie?

Tommy L sends....

The Pie motor is build for torque and love it. If I were to use the sensors, I would be able to go faster with the speed set to 120%. I would use more amperage that way and would have to upgrade the wires coming out of the motor. I use that feature in my RC toys, but not my bike.

This is the speed I got today running on 90V, with a strong headwind.

EVG90Vbike.png

Love the bike looks very clean.

I agree the motor seems to match well.. Looks like an awesome place to put your batteries.

Very nice clean build snellemin! :D

here is a reply to the other thread I didn't want to hijack.

What gauge wire did GM hook up to the external controller pie ?

I rewired it with 12g alpha ecowire. Brilliant stuff with a really thin insulation so it has no problems taking the modded 12 fet lyen.

I see the attraction to higher voltage setups, and it's interesting that the throttle response is smooth at those voltages.

My throttle on 100 % is very jerky, not surprisingly since it pulls 80amps 120 peak from start! It is better though at about 50%

I wish the cycle analyst would limit current quicker as you still get a large surge of power for a second or 2, in fact I would rather the controller have the option to limit current via the speed switch as well as speed, it would help to relax the throttle more.

At 80 amps the pie has no problems with the monster grades in the woods, they are short enough but very steep. 30% + in places, so I need to run 80 amps 120 peak into the pie. But it climbs them brilliantly!

BTW I just thought, in the other thread where you said the controller kept cutting out on full throttle on 24S, is it still doing that? But I was thinking maybe your lvc is set too low ? did you get the formula for the lvc from lyen ?it's different from the software settings.

What is your controller to motor phase combinations and I'll check that against mine to see if it gets rid of the god awful vibration I keep getting.

Maybe over the weekend I'll rewire my 16S 2P for 24S for some fun, but I would have to back off the current to about 40 amps because I'm using 20C zippy's! 8C shouldn't be too hard on the little 5ah bricks!

The wires that the motor came with looks like 16 awg. So I ran 12awg wires all the way to near the motor and called it a day.
On 50% speed settings the bike pulls around 7A and 100% speed setting around 27-28A at max throttle. I've seen peaks between 70-80A on the CA.

The CA can control the spikes better if it directly controlled the controller throttle. You would have to wire your throttle to the CA and from the CA to the controller. But I'm not bothering with that untill the new CA becomes available.

My controller has no issues with 100% throttle at HV doing 45mph. Motor wire combination is random with me as it's sensorless. I only swap two wires to change direction. There is no magic wire color combination for me.

I hope you can figure your issues out.

BTW, I did not get the formula from Lyen regarding the LVC in the controller. Anything special there?

I think the formula depends on the resistor Lyen uses ? maybe you should ask him unless you need the controller lvc, but it could be the cause of it cutting out on you at higher voltages ? though on fully charged batteries it should not matter, unless they sagged a lot ?

But without doubt the throttle is much smoother using half the current, and it's not nearly as noisy at slow speeds either, but it surely doesn't accelerate like on 80 amps! :shock:

I think a 18 fet would be better for 40-45, still it is good, I'm just used to higher torque! :D

You are doing 45 on 24 S and I only got 40, might be the 5ah 20c zippy's ? they were very warm when I got back.

One thing I really love about lipo is the fact you can configure it any way you want!

Lipo's are great. Just finding good ones is iffy at times. I don't understand the big deal with Nanotech batteries. They are not the greatest thing in the RC hobby. They puff up sooner vs cheap 40C lipo's like Gensace. I have abused my lipo's and they take a bit longer to balance out now. But what else do you expect after draining them in less than 5 minutes.
My two 20C 6s1p packs that has only seen Ebike duty, balance out the fastest. Bike doesn't even give the batteries a workout, but they do drop the most voltage under load as expected from a 20C cell.
My next set of ebike batteries will come from FMAdirect, which are the 60C 6s1p batteries. Good prices and a 60 day warranty. But I need to save up some to buy 8 of them. Goal is to have 24s2p or 12s4p setups with barely any voltage drop. BTW, I charge my cells @4.15V per cell for ebike use, which average out between 96-98% capacity.

I'm riding the Critical Mass in Houston tonite and set the bike up for 15s2p. I also added a cheapy H3 LED light bulb in the stock headlight of the bike, which runs of 18650 cells @4s1p. If I want 5 minute recharge times, I swap in the 4s1p A123's. It makes for a good daytime driving light I think. It's still not as bright as my Ebay Magic shine lights.

Nice build. Love the ebike frame. Hope to get lucky one day and find one to buy. PS I live in Jersey Village on the nw side of Houston. I'll bet I don't live more than 10 miles from you. My wife and I really want to ride with Critical Mass. Might even see you there next month.

Back