41MPH EVG SX bike with Magic Pie motor

snellemin said:
It would be easier if I really understood how the timing, throttle curve ramped up in this controller.

The phase amps is just for startup, creeping and acceleration, which at one point crosses over to the battery amp settings when the throttle increases. The 40/60A settings worked, but the timing between going from phase to battery Amp settings was too off. At 45/66, it is near perfect. I'm going by the 1.5 multiplier over the 2.5, since the bike is running on 24s and the Magic pie being a torque motor already. I don't think I would be able to get away with the 1.5 multiplier with my old 500w Ebay motor.

Increasing the phase amps(2.3-2.5 multiplier) will increase my torque during acceleration, making for a nice zippy ride. But that is dangerous when you have 500-600 other bikers around you. Hence my new toned down settings and see how the bike reacts. So with my morning commute, the bike had good acceleration. No wheelie popping startup torque, but a nice linear power band. Climbing power on the inclines in the parking garage was good too. I'm going to a 1.6 multiplier soon and see if that buzz(timing issue?) is reproducible or not.

I wouldn't mind less torque, but not what I had to turn it down to, my mac would beat the crap out of it at those levels!

I will try your settings when you report back! :D

I can't believe this,

After playing with the software and going back to 16S I have no problem what so ever with noise and vibration ????

I have the battery current set to 50 amps and that gives me 83 amps after soldering the shunt.

110 amps phase, Super torque!

I've no idea what's going on as I played with this a long time ago on 16S.

I miss the 43 mph, but to be honest, the roads ere are in such disgraceful state it's not safe on a hardtail !

No good result on mine. My throttle was still cutting off @100% + 60% setting, until pack voltage dropped enough after 3 miles. I'm just going to buy me 4 more of 6s packs and see what happens. I'll stick with 18s2p and mess around with the controller settings again. If I want some speed, I'll go 24s1p.

Looks like I spoke too soon, as the vibration is back, just like that. I turned the phase amps down a bit and it's a little better.

I had no problems at all related to high voltage. What do you charge your cells to ? I charged to 4.15 for 99.7 volts.

By the way how do Texas drivers react to you on the middle of the road in traffic ? I wouldn't have the balls. Especially with no brake lights and indicators. I saw one of your videos a while ago. You are a brave man! :mrgreen:

I slow down and let drivers pass, usually they are gawking with their mouths open while passing. It's funny the reaction on people's faces.

I love coming up behind children on bicycles passing at 30+ mph. It frightens the be Jesus out of them hahahaha :twisted:

So both your and I have intermittent vibration issues. Looks like we both need a bigger controller and/or wait for the new CA.

For ebike use I charge my cells to 4.15V, with my Powerlab 8 chargers. At home I use dual 12V 47A server power supplies and at work I have a single 12V 47A server PSU, to keep the fan noise down a bit. Two get really loud in a small space. I just ordered 4 more 6s packs, for the ease of charging the bike packs at the same time. I figured it was ok, as every fill up of my SUV equals to 100 bucks a week. Batts should be here by next Tuesday. I'm using the Revolectrix Multi-Port Safe Parallel Adapter. I don't like the idea of paralleling balance plugs without some sort of safety fuse. http://www.revolectrix.com/MPA_XH.htm At work I use four Cellpro (JST PA) PowerLab-to-Great Planes (JST XH) or Kokam (JST EH/HR) Safe Parallel Adapters.

Most people seem to like my bike on the road. There are a few idiots here and there, but I don't let that bother me. I always pass them by once they hit traffic ahead of me.

I don't think the CA would make a difference ? mine is the stand alone anyway.

I think your issue seems like you need a controller with 4115 fet's , but I don't have that issue with high voltage.

Very strange. Maybe just get sensored controller ? and keep the sensorless as a backup ?

I don't have a bother with people, people are fascinated more than anything, and others are wondering wtf lol when I pass at 30+ mph :mrgreen:

I just wouldn't feel comfortable riding with traffic!

I tried 2x multiplier today and all was good once the battery pack dropped in voltage a bit. I'll just wait for my new batteries to arrive and see what the deal it is. Ordered a bunch of EC5 connectors as well. Once everything new is connected, I'll play with the tolerance voltage settings.

Got my batteries today, so tomorrow will be the test. Most that I can fit is 22s2p.
I also added a heatsink with fan on the controller for when it gets hotter. Gonna add a temp sensor to see how much the temp drops and than figure where to add intake and exhaust holes.
I added the horn and got a lights going of the new switch. Fan, lights and horn are run off 4s1p 18650 batteries.

DSC05661.jpg

DSC05658.jpg

DSC05657.jpg

Are they 6S bricks ? if so they look larger than the Hobby King ones ?

18S should give you 35 mph, fast enough really.

That bike looks cool, It's a pity I can't find anything like that here, any electric bikes sold here are horrible looking things, it's no wonder there are not more around!

Pity you couldn't have found a full suspension frame!

The bricks are 6s packs. I'm running 22s2p though, so 6 sticks of 6s and 2 sticks of 4s.

Bike rides nice, since the roads here are smooth enough. Running fat tires, suspension seat post and soft seat helps a lot. Winds were high today and I only managed 42mph.

I bumped up my battery current to 55A and phase to 110A for some torque for tomorrow's commute.

20s2p setup in my bike. It's rocking 6 new 6s1p 30c sky lipo and two 2s1p gensace that are 2 years old and still kickin.

DSC05743.jpg

DSC05741.jpg

DSC05740.jpg

DSC05737.jpg

DSC05736.jpg

Is it a good idea to mix old and new LiPo especially different brands ?

It must be nice to be able to fit it all in the frame!

It's nice to fit all those batteries. Bike is nicely balanced as well.

I'm not worried about using those two older batteries with my new packs. They do come out every time I charge them up. After two years, the cells are still not puffy. And those have been seeing 4C to 6C charge rates for a while.

I managed to squeezed 24s2p inside the frame and I love it. A coworker was willing to try to build me a adjustable throttle delay to prevent me tripping the controller under acceleration. Gonna have to wait till he has some time to actually do it. I'm also looking for a small 12V laptop psu that I can hook up to my batteries to run my accessories.

I did a shakedown with the 24s2p pack.

DSC05749.jpg

DSC05748.jpg

DSC05747.jpg

DSC05745.jpg

DSC05744.jpg

That is strange that you had problems on 24S, I had no such issues.

24S is about 88.8 nominal ? and 99.7 charged. So I would imagine if you rode for a bit it would be fine ?

24S 2P is a nice amount to fit in the frame!

Dunno either, but I must be tripping something. My voltage was 93V under load when I did that 47mph and CA showed 3000W continuous.

I was pretty happy fitting all my 6S packs inside the frame. Would be nice if those A123 20ah pouch packs would fit .

The 2p helps, less sag.

50mph is more than I care to go on a bicycle, maybe a different bike with a full suspension, and fat tyres and the saddle low, I might feel different.

More aerodynamic bikes is what we need. I wouldn't mind a wind shield!

The 2p does help. Having smooth roads does help too. A small windshield would be nice to have. Tired of getting hit my small bugs and their stingers.

snellemin said:
The 2p does help. Having smooth roads does help too. A small windshield would be nice to have. Tired of getting hit my small bugs and their stingers.

Ha ha yeah bugs are bad at speed.

There can be quiet a lot of wind here so it can be uncomfortable and it's loud in the ears.

Sometimes I think an electric scooter like the vectrix would be better. At least you could wear a full helmet and not look like a fool, and you would have some protection from wind.

I bought a used 6 speed Regina extra freewheel and goes from 12-17T. The chain doesn't rub on the frame anymore, as it did with the 11T 7speed freewheel.

DSC05957.jpg

DSC05955.jpg

I upped the battery Amp to 65 and the Phase Amps to 140. Bike takes off smooth in my 2nd 57% speed now. 100% still cuts out if I hammer the throttle. Drilled a big hole into the controller case and added a fan. Still need to drill out two holes for fresh air to come in and add two fans. Waiting on some fan grills to come in.

Today I did a 21 mile ride with mix road conditions. I used my lowest speed setting of 35% and 1 short burst of 57% speed setting. That whole trip only took me 3Ah. So I could easily get 60 mile range out of my 10Ah pack. Average speed is 18-19mph and easily to pedal with my new 12T freewheel.
Got to love HV setups for efficiency.

I finally got my wife on the bike. She didn't ride it though, but took a pic of it anyways.

DSC059811.jpg

Back