18650 battery Kit development and discussion[testing done]

Yes, nickel plated copper.

upload_-1

= 1kWh @ 150A with 18650GA

agniusm said:
Slow but going forward.
I will be offering 2 sizes, 10S and 14S. It will be possible to produce any Series kit in 6P (standard) configuration at extra.

I could use those sizes in 4p but looks like you are building 6p?

Fwiw the guy from Zero patented a modular 18650
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GahcFeTCZgc
I think it failed the road testing so isn't being marketed.

thanks for your effort, good luck

Maybe it's buried in here somewhere but how much compression/pressure is needed on a each side of an 18650 for a ..fantastic connection?

I read on here you can get a better connection than spot welding or soldering copper with simply good pressure.

He thinks it failed, i for sure have found 0 info on that. I too, think a lot of things, but most of the time its only thoughts.
I don't like all that patent talk from him (Neal Saiki), i'm of those who thinks patents are a handbrake for development and progress of anything. That's why i admire Elon Musk

I'm excited for when you start selling these. 10S and 14S at 6P seems to me to be a very good choice. I use the Topeak MTX rack and bags for my batteries and 2 10S6P's fit very nicely in the EX bag.

circuit said:
Do you have more details where it failed at?

I only found this from the Karmic guy:
We hit a big bump in the road when the “Lifetime Rebuildable Battery” failed to make the leap from the lab bench to the harsh tarmac.
https://medium.com/karmic-bikes/the-karmic-battery-reborn-a2202c928ef3#.ojtojs5z4

The Zero guy quit Karmic and took the patents with him.
Neal Saiki is no longer associated with Karmic Bikes – he abruptly left the project before the Kickstarter campaign ended taking the battery technology with him.
http://gouldtech.blogspot.com/2015/05/karmics-electronic-bike-magic-battery.html?view=classic

Now he seems to be some sort of patent consultant.
http://smartpidity.com/

I find it very confusing. First, their only marketing point is rebuildable, 100% recyclable battery that even Tesla does not have:
We are the only one in the world that can fully recycle an electric battery pack
So they can take out used cells and recycle them to raw materials as well as other parts, electronics? Somehow i doubt that and if they cant, all batteries are recyclable, no exception. Its just bullshit marketing twist.
And if they still mean rebuildable as if there is no welding on cells, the design works but then, later they talk about larger, 450WH battery and all that rebuildabilaty, recyclabilaty is quieted down. In the end we are left with a standard bike, off the shelve components, ordinary battery (Nuvinci, Bafang/8FUN, battery that is nothing special).
The whole thing is a hoax.
I spoke with Snath who introduced this method on ES and he has 3 packs running without problems for 2+ years. He mentioned, that he took apart packs few times to see if all is good, no galvanic corrosion.
Perhaps NTS battery was overbuild, you have to if you mean to patent it. You cant patent a sandwich if you put your cheese, ham and salad other way round its just stupid.

So I have run into this problem. I cant make bolts and flush. There is little material left if I sink them in. At the moment I am leaving it on surface and will use low head bolts and nuts, otherwise I would have to increase gap between cells which will make battery pack considerably larger. Its a trade off.

Still ready when you are...

Just solved the problem with the help on ES facebook. Will use longer coupling nut and 2 extra low head screws from both sides

First Post virgin here!

This thread made me sign up for this forum.

I want to buy one. Im guessing since im in USA it would cost alot to ship.

Following closely! Looking Great man!

ElectricSushiChef said:
First Post virgin here!

This thread made me sign up for this forum.

I want to buy one. Im guessing since im in USA it would cost alot to ship.

Following closely! Looking Great man!

Should be arround 30 bucks.

So i have it assembled without sides. Its a set back. Basically it took me an hour to get top cover on. Another issue is with the wiring. I kept it as small as possible and space for wiring is tight. At the moment i will work on testing the compression connection reliability and quality and if the results will be satisfactory, i will rework cell holders so they are completely user friendly.

This concept sounds fantastic! Will this be used with a BMS or just need a balance charger? Can individual cells be monitored?

Could be bms, balance charger whatever the need. Individual cells are not monitored, you wont find it anywhere unless its 1P. Groups of parallel cells are monitored in this case 6 cells otherwise it would be 86 wires coming out of the battery :O

Let me start by saying this all looks VERY promising! And I for one will very possibly buy one.

I got a couple of questions thou.

Have you tested a single parallel module to see if the contacting area can withstand high currents?

Another thing that worries me is that if for example in a parallel string one cell doesn't make good contact during high discharge, the others will get higher discharges then when that other cell makes contact it'll try to balance itself (voltage wise and possibly AH) with the other cells.

I supposed the whole assembly is vented properly? If this is almost sealed a shorted cell will F up all the others in the pack.

First thing, lets face it, its a diy kit and not complete battery. If it makes daylight, it will be missused no doubt.
When you say high current, what do you mean? I have stated that this is being developed for 40A continues. I wont test single parallel group, what i hope to test is the whole battery discharge while shaking it at 60A resistive load. I will record internal temp and force of cell compression using arduino and FR402 sensor. I will connect battery pack to a load via shunt and monitor on oscilloscope. If i see irregularities which are not linear on the discharge graph, compression does not work, works bad or works satisfactory for 40A load. I will have to see that, i only need a scope:)
One cell cant make bad contact, if you will use same brand and model cells, new cells. Its not meant for rainbow salvaged laptop cells! The variation in height of same cells should be small enough to be compensated by compression material.
It is not vented, but end user could drill out pre routed holes and tape them inside making week point for pressure build up to be released. The way i see it, if for some reason you pack gets f.. up (other than fault of compression and this method) it will be easier to swap cells rather than rebuild the whole pack.
In the end, materials i am choosing are 200C temp, most 250C and more, working temeratures(silicone, G10 glass fiberboard, aluminium) and if something goes wrong you will be better off than with something thats on the market today: pvc heatshink, ABS, ducktape.

Back