19" Motorcycle Wheels vs 26" Bicycle Wheels (rim and tires)

varntzberg said:
Merlin said:
Excel has a 1.4 / 1.6 rim also. (17"+19")

Know anyone who has the illusive 1.40 -18"?
Looks as though holmes don't have them anymore :(

http://www.racingboy.com.ph/rims-accessories/alloy-rim/alloy-rim-black/

This is where I bought my last 6 rims from.

Merlin said:
wow....nice rick.....but i didn't see any prices. can you help?

Price per rim was $21 USD, shipping was over $58 bucks. That was when I ordered one rim. The time I ordered 5 rims, shipping shipping was $109, and the rims were still only $21 each. So I got 5 rims for just over $214 bucks. My suggestion is, if you you order some rims, go in with some other people (Group Buy) from the same country, and order like 20 rims total, that would probably bring the price per rim with delivery down below $34.00 with that many rims.

Has anyone tried a 21 inch MC wheel on their ebike yet? I jump up and down a lot of curbs and would like to be able to do it at faster speeds with more confidence.

21" moto wheel may not fit in the bike forks most are using for ebikes..
due to the larger wheel diameter your tire could contact the fork crown on suspension compression..
ppl are running 19" front because it is similar in diameter to stock 26" bike wheel.. so it fits;)
(i suspect someone has done it but i recommend you measure your fork travel/ length vs wheel diameter first..)

ecycler said:
Has anyone tried a 21 inch MC wheel on their ebike yet? I jump up and down a lot of curbs and would like to be able to do it at faster speeds with more confidence.

19" is more near 24" Bicycle Tires.

check "this" thread.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55458

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=826076#p826076

if you had a 27,5" Fork, i see no Prob with 21" Moped Rims. Except of more weight you dont like on a front wheel.
if you want more plush ride and eat serious gaps. 19" rim + 3" Shinko. low pressure and you can ride upstairs your bike :D

i would not go with 21" ....if weight doesnt hurt, take a wider 1.85 rim and lower the pressure again a bit more....

edit:

a Quote from Zombies in 2013

zombiess said:
Just another warning to watch your rim width when going to MC rims/tires. I purchased some 19x2.14" wide Warp9 wheels but did not fully understand the width until I received them already built from VoltRiders. They were WAY wider than I anticipated. With the tires mounted the 19x2.75" Shinko SR244 tires ended up being 3.3x" wide at the cross section! Luckily for me this was not an issue and everything fit my Greyborg Warp frame and DNM USD180 forks. The forks have the tightest fit with less than 1/4" clearance to the narrowest part of the down tubes.

I did not set out to build a fat tire bike but it is now what I have and it looks and rides AWESOME!

Be aware you will pay a weight penalty of around 5-10lbs per wheel when going to a MC setup, but the benefits are super long tire life, low chance of a flat tire (my main reason I went MC/Moped in the first place), a more cushioned ride (lower air pressure required), stronger spokes since it is now OK to build with spokes as thick as 8-10 gauge and far superior traction. Another upside I noticed is they loose air a lot slower so they require less frequent pumping. Yet another upside is that building a moped/MC setup costs about the same as a bicycle setup! Most rims/tires/tubes for moped/MC are the same or even cheaper than the same bicycle parts.

For reference in the last 3 years of bicycle riding i have experienced at least 10 flats between all my bikes when running bicycle tires. On bicycles with moped/mc tires I have had ZERO flats. Total miles on each type of setup is ~500.

For most bicycle setups I suggest not going larger than 19" as it is very hard to find a tire that will fit in 21". For 19" there are narrow (2.5") street tires available for old school dirt bikes and mopeds. Check out treatland.tv for some 19" street suggestions.

For those interested in the Shinko offerings, the SR241 is a 60% dirt / 40% street tire and the SR244 is a 60% street / 40% dirt tire from the many reviews I have seen.

i agree 19" moto is a bit smaller diameter than 26" bike wheel..
but..
not (m)any dual crown suspension bike forks come designed for 27.5 wheels (needed for 21" moto wheel)
and 3+" wide tire likely will not fit between the fork legs of USD up-side down suspension forks such as DNM..

Merlin said:
19" is more near 24" Bicycle Tires.

if you had a 27,5" Fork, i see no Prob with 21" Moped Rims. Except of more weight you dont like on a front wheel.
if you want more plush ride and eat serious gaps. 19" rim + 3" Shinko. low pressure and you can ride upstairs your bike :D

i would not go with 21" ....if weight doesnt hurt, take a wider 1.85 rim and lower the pressure again a bit more....

a uk here runs a 21 pro wheel in front with a rock shox.
the easiest way if someone want a 21 in front.....

find out how high this wheel is, and lots of people can measure their forks :)

my Fox 40 has 10,7cm space ...that means a 4" tyre
in the last 5cm of the fork i have 10,2mm space.

to the top has my 19" mc wheel 4cm space.

ad another inch and i have a 21" wheel in my Fox 40 without Problems.

On my two bikes with dual crown forks I am currently running 26 inch DH bike wheels with 2.5" tires. One is a marzocchi 888 and the other is an older Rockshox. Both look like they have a little room to spare. I just get nervous sometimes going straight at the larger square curbs with too much speed. I would hate to snakebite a tire or worse taco a rim and crash hard with my laptop when I am trying to make good time to get to work.

with that riding style you would be safer with moto/ moped rims & tires..
19" front wheel with 2.75" width tire should fit the fork length no problem..
but maybe close on tire width within the crown..

21" moto front wheel may not fit older bike forks (designed for 26" wheels)
i recommend measure the distance from fork axle to fork brace (or lower crown on USD)..
this is your max wheel radius (minus a bit for tire clearance)
multiply max wheel radius x2 for max wheel diameter..
(21" moto wheel with mounted tire will likely be ~27-28" diameter)
measure or check your suspension specs for max suspension travel
measure to ensure that larger diameter wheel can not contact lower fork crown on full suspension compression..

ecycler said:
On my two bikes with dual crown forks I am currently running 26 inch DH bike wheels with 2.5" tires. One is a marzocchi 888 and the other is an older Rockshox. Both look like they have a little room to spare. I just get nervous sometimes going straight at the larger square curbs with too much speed. I would hate to snakebite a tire or worse taco a rim and crash hard with my laptop when I am trying to make good time to get to work.

efMX Trials Electric Freeride said:
with that riding style you would be safer with moto/ moped rims & tires..
19" front wheel with 2.75" width tire should fit the fork length no problem..
but maybe close on tire width within the crown..

21" moto front wheel may not fit older bike forks (designed for 26" wheels)
i recommend measure the distance from fork axle to fork brace (or lower crown on USD)..
this is your max wheel radius (minus a bit for tire clearance)
multiply max wheel radius x2 for max wheel diameter..
(21" moto wheel with mounted tire will likely be ~27-28" diameter)
measure or check your suspension specs for max suspension travel
measure to ensure that larger diameter wheel can not contact lower fork crown on full suspension compression..

ecycler said:

Would probably need to use a DH Fork designed for the 650b aka 27.5" MTB wheel to run a 21" mc rim/tire combo.
///Edit/// I saw that you had already mentioned the 27.5" Fork

I'm thinking about getting into a tougher rim for my 26in bicycle rear tire.

Would these be the nearest size and easy to find rim to try ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Rim-1-85x19-36H-KX125-250F-SX125-250F-RMZ250-YZ125-250F-Black-/280886412585?hash=item4166228529:m:mi1dG_vAGqjCENlWQcz1f5g&vxp=mtr

My bike frame has only about 2.75 in of spacing at the narrowest point in the vicinity of the tire radius area (currently 5/8in of extra space on either side of a 2 1/8in tire).

So would these rims take like a 2 1/4in tire ?

Where is a good place to buy these parts ?

If I want to stick with a bicycle rim, what is the toughest 39mm double walled rim, reasonable cost, easy to find ?

Eteck said:
I'm thinking about getting into a tougher rim for my 26in bicycle rear tire.

Would these be the nearest size and easy to find rim to try ?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Rim-1-85x19-36H-KX125-250F-SX125-250F-RMZ250-YZ125-250F-Black-/280886412585?hash=item4166228529:m:mi1dG_vAGqjCENlWQcz1f5g&vxp=mtr

My bike frame has only about 2.75 in of spacing at the narrowest point in the vicinity of the tire radius area (currently 5/8in of extra space on either side of a 2 1/8in tire).

So would these rims take like a 2 1/4in tire ?

Where is a good place to buy these parts ?

If I want to stick with a bicycle rim, what is the toughest 39mm double walled rim, reasonable cost, easy to find ?

That rim is not a good rim for what you are wanting to do. You need to stick with rims that are 1.40 wide or narrower, that 1.85 rim will cause tires to inflate wider as they have to spread across the bead on the rim.

The important thing, is that you want to feel restricted "right around your nuts" And then give up your dreams, forever.

Just kidding..... What a f'ing douche on the human spirit.

Wow

motomoto said:
The important thing, is that you want to feel restricted "right around your nuts" And then give up your dreams, forever.

Wow

:?:

motomoto said:

Wow
~ :?: ...... :p

Dark Knight said:
Rix said:
My 18x1.4 rim was just under two pounds, literally 1.9 pounds on the scale, my 18x1.85 is 3 pounds exactly on the scale. I can't imagine your rims being double the weight of mine just because they are 1" bigger. If your 19x1.85 is over 6 pounds, go with 19x1.4 Prowheel racing rim, I know that its not any heavier feeling in hand than my 18x1.4, you want me to weigh the 19x1.4 rim tonight so you can have an exact number?

Rick

Yeah...chuck it on the scales if you don't mind. I'll actually weigh mine properly as well - was just quoting 'advertised' weight. They do feel pretty darn heavy though...guess they could become the street rims if they're too heavy...they were an impulse buy and are definitely 'no name' brand.
Was originally going to go with prowheels rims...and if there is a significant weight difference, probably still will. No problems with the 2.75 tyres in the 1.4 rim? Shinko advise 1.85 size for 2.75x19...

Edit - just looked at the advertised weight and indicates 2kg (4.4lbs) for 19x2.15 and 2.9kg (6.4lbs) for 19x1.85...which really doesn't make sense...damn internet shops eh. I'll definitely give em a weight up tomorrow and confirm.

2 Kg Doesn't make any scene. Unless they are filed with lead. You could not get them to weigh 2 Kg if they were filed with concrete. 2 Kg in shipping weight with the cardboard box that sound more reasonable.

Motomoto wrote;

Wow
I was just looking through this thread, and I saw this. WTF

I guess I didn't agree with something someone said on some other thread and accidently put it on
this one. Sorry.

Man, what was I smokin' ??

The first line is pretty funny though.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And that comments seemed to come from nowhere and all so sudden too. First I thought lost in translation and then I reread and I knew it was not me that did not make sense :)

Back