2000watt bbshd controller upgrade

EJ25

10 µW
Recently got my hands on a bbshd controller that had a modified firmware to run 35amps. gave it a try at 35amps and doesn't seems to be any different still pulls around 1500watt even under load I occasionally see it hit 1600-1700watt but only for a second or so. my battery is 52v 20ah generic cell from a reputable Aus ebike Shop with 40a continuous discharge. could it be that because of voltage sag my battery doesn't have enough available voltage to hit 2000watt?.
Cheers

You're posting in the Items For Sale - Used section, but I'm unsure what you are selling?

If you intended to post in the Ebike Troubleshooting section, I can move this thread there.

FWIW, even if you have a controller and battery capable of a million watts, unless you put a load on the motor that requires that much power to overcome it, you won't see that much power usage.

Does the load you are placing on it require 2000w to overcome? If you're not sure, what are the conditions you are riding under; what terrain, wind, road surface, etc., along with weight of bike and you and anything else being carried, etc.? That might help us figure out if the load is enough to cause that much power usage; if it isn't then that would explain why you don't see more than you do.

EJ25 said:
Recently got my hands on a bbshd controller that had a modified firmware to run 35amps. gave it a try at 35amps and doesn't seems to be any different still pulls around 1500watt even under load I occasionally see it hit 1600-1700watt but only for a second or so. my battery is 52v 20ah generic cell from a reputable Aus ebike Shop with 40a continuous discharge. could it be that because of voltage sag my battery doesn't have enough available voltage to hit 2000watt?.
Cheers

My bad could you move the thread to its intended section, thanks.

I have had it in 9th gear going up a steepish incline, the motor was struggling to pull me up the hill, i would think that should be enough load. the bike with me weighs about 100kg.

EJ25 said:
Cheers

What did the seller say about how the controller was modified to run 35amps? As far as I know which I admit is quite limited there isn't any firmware that would unlock it to 35amps. Most of the time people mod the shunts to confuse the controller to give more amps. I modded mine to give 45amps but cause of how this is done the display doesn't show the real amps anymore; ie if the display
shows 1500w I'm actually pulling 50% more or 2250w. The thing I would do is get some sort of amp meter and see how many amps the controller is actually pulling from the battery. The power difference isn't that big going from 30a to 35a so you might just not even really notice it and got used to it very fast. I didn't even see a big difference at first till I started using it more and tried the bigger rear gears which I noticed they had a lot more torque. I would say maybe take it somewhere you have ridden with the old controller before and see if your top speed has changed any, I got an extra 5mph out of mine and I was able to actually use my smallest gear.

Hmm might be a shot actually at least an amp/watt Metre would confirm what I'm actually pulling. The seller said it was just a basic firmware upgrade so I'm guessing no shunt modding (questionable reliability I know) there was at least a week of not riding and then I hoped straight on the 2000watt controller my first instinct was that it had slightly quicker acceleration but not by much so I put it down to a placebo effect.

EJ25 said:
Hmm might be a shot actually at least an amp/watt Metre would confirm what I'm actually pulling. The seller said it was just a basic firmware upgrade so I'm guessing no shunt modding (questionable reliability I know) there was at least a week of not riding and then I hoped straight on the 2000watt controller my first instinct was that it had slightly quicker acceleration but not by much so I put it down to a placebo effect.

Should be easy enough to do, I actually planned on doing the same to make sure I did the mod correctly till I tested my top speed which pretty much confirmed instantly I had more power. Where did you get this controller and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I actually killed my pas somehow after doing the shunt mod :? with the heat index being in the 110f's I haven't been riding much anyway but I need to figure out if I killed my pas sensor or if its the controller. If it is the controller and I decide I do want pas back I either will get the lunacycles v2 one but its quite expensive and a 35a controller actually sounds like a great stock reliability controller I would be in the market for (if confirmed 35a). That's also exactly how I felt about the 45a, I ride mainly in 46/24 which give me a nice top speed around 28mph in this gear I didn't really notice any difference (although now though I can say if I went back to stock it would be) but I went to my 1st gear 46/46 and man from a stop it will flip you. Before I didn't understand how people power wheelie bbshd's but now I do. A 35a firmware though I bet people would eat alive if it was public, great balance for those who don't want to open it up and possibly kill something. Interested if it actually is 35a

There is at least one thread here with a number of BBSHD firmwares, mostly about the voltage compatibility with different packs, but some about throttle capabilities or power or other changes.

Some of the discussion may show why some of them don't really provide much (or any) change in actual operation.

Note that it has apparently been found that not every hardware set is completely compatible with every firmware version, but there's no tested list of which ones are or are not inter-compatible, so use different firmware with caution and the awareness you can brick the controller flashing the wrong one to it.

Several vendors have sorted unbricking but won’t share the firmware solution. Mainly because a well known reseller is so dickish and never shares but excels at copying and claiming they developed the tool, part, or solution. And of course there’s Bafang who has never been forthcoming with useful data like serial numbers to versions. They’re attitude is exactly why I asked you to post the firmware leaving me anonymous. Concerned the shop I worked with could suffer their wrath or retaliation.

Should be easy enough to do, I actually planned on doing the same to make sure I did the mod correctly till I tested my top speed which pretty much confirmed instantly I had more power. Where did you get this controller and how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I actually killed my pas somehow after doing the shunt mod :? with the heat index being in the 110f's I haven't been riding much anyway but I need to figure out if I killed my pas sensor or if its the controller. If it is the controller and I decide I do want pas back I either will get the lunacycles v2 one but its quite expensive and a 35a controller actually sounds like a great stock reliability controller I would be in the market for (if confirmed 35a). That's also exactly how I felt about the 45a, I ride mainly in 46/24 which give me a nice top speed around 28mph in this gear I didn't really notice any difference (although now though I can say if I went back to stock it would be) but I went to my 1st gear 46/46 and man from a stop it will flip you. Before I didn't understand how people power wheelie bbshd's but now I do. A 35a firmware though I bet people would eat alive if it was public, great balance for those who don't want to open it up and possibly kill something. Interested if it actually is 35a
Hi
Sorry for jumpiing on your conversation i think the firmware hes talking about the developer has made it open source and its free there lnks on here ,plus he provides a miles better settings program

Hi
Sorry for jumpiing on your conversation i think the firmware hes talking about the developer has made it open source and its free there lnks on here ,plus he provides a miles better settings program
Yes I've kept up with that open source firmware, from what I've heard it's very good and worth the try for users on the stock controller. I was planning on giving it a try but later that year I got my hands on a aftermarket controller for my bbshd with more power. Thanks for trying to let me know though and help out though!

What specific firmware are you talking about?

Who is the developer?

Where are the links?

What specific firmware are you talking about?

Who is the developer?

Where are the links?
Hi its by daniel neilson im running the new 1.4. Firmware andits really good super smooth plus the benifit of having to lots of setting 1 street legal , other is of road ..it also lets me run my bbs02b at 30A im running 1440 watt for a year as ive been using his firmware for a while...basicaly hes found a way to run bbshd firmware on bbs02b he also supplies a much better programing tool ....hope this helps

Back