• Howdy! we're looking for donations to finish custom knowledgebase software for this forum. Please see our Funding drive thread

5 pin JN/No 2 Display over 20a

I have a 30a battery in a Yamee folding bike, I was able to squeeze a 30a controller in the frame, unfortunately the matching GD06 display has a max current of 20a to the controller. Seems pretty much all the displays I found top out at 20a.

Is there anything out there that can go higher? Not really concerned with what type as long as there's a speedo

The KT series of controllers, using the KT displays, should do what you want. Don't know if they'll fit where you need them to, so you might have to mount externally.

I'm not looking to replace the JN controller I just bought. Besides, the KT 30a controller is an inch too long. 5.9" is the absolute longest I can fit in there.

Well, if you only want to replace the display, outside of the specific models of display that are compatible with that specific controller model and version, it's probably going to be tough to do.

Controllers and displays are not generally intercompatible; there are different protocols and data for the serial communication between different brands and even models, and sometimes even the specific firmware version on controller and/or display.

Even when the two can communicate, the menus and settings in the one may not match taht of the other, so the data sent may be either invalid or could change settings you don't intend (or even know about) because the display menu items shown are not what the data means to the controller. (this is more likely with different firmware versions and/or models of the same brand stuff than with different brands).

E-HP has been working on a thread somewhere around here with known compatible lists of displays vs controllers, but I don't recall the brand you've got listed there unless it's been added since I last ran across it.

Yeah, I don't know about Yamee, but for that factory's other brand, Rattan, I've bought replacement GD06 displays off AliExpress before, and found them incompatible with the original controller. The display had a different number of advanced settings, for example. So even if it is the same model number, the firmware on the display prevents cross compatibility.

Any chance there's a pic of the controller's label or a link to the vendor listing? Maybe an SW900 would work.
It's not about finding a display that will work, I have several that "work" my issue is the 20a output limit built into nearly all displays.

The SW900 I have, 20a limit
S900 20a limit
M5 20a limit
SW102 20a limit
YL80c 20a limit
81F 20a limit
GD06 20a limit
Yeah, I don't know about Yamee, but for that factory's other brand, Rattan, I've bought replacement GD06 displays off AliExpress before, and found them incompatible with the original controller. The display had a different number of advanced settings, for example. So even if it is the same model number, the firmware on the display prevents cross compatibility.
The factory controller is a 5S protocol which seems to be the "legal" programming. Speed is capped at 41kmh and limits to 9 of 21 adjustment functions, which is why I changed it. It's not the original controller anymore.
Well, if you only want to replace the display, outside of the specific models of display that are compatible with that specific controller model and version, it's probably going to be tough to do.

Controllers and displays are not generally intercompatible; there are different protocols and data for the serial communication between different brands and even models, and sometimes even the specific firmware version on controller and/or display.

Even when the two can communicate, the menus and settings in the one may not match taht of the other, so the data sent may be either invalid or could change settings you don't intend (or even know about) because the display menu items shown are not what the data means to the controller. (this is more likely with different firmware versions and/or models of the same brand stuff than with different brands).

E-HP has been working on a thread somewhere around here with known compatible lists of displays vs controllers, but I don't recall the brand you've got listed there unless it's been added since I last ran across it.
I'm aware, No 2. Protocol, KDS, and 5S are the main ones. I just need to know which display exists that doesn't cap output to 20a, then I can order or flash to a new Protocol, but seems everything outside of UKC1 has this limit for some reason.

The company you bought the controller from what display options do they have ?
As I looked up your bike it would seem you could just pull off your display and put a display that works on the handlebars.

It's not about finding a display that will work, I have several that "work" my issue is the 20a output limit built into nearly all displays.

The SW900 I have, 20a limit
S900 20a limit
M5 20a limit
SW102 20a limit
YL80c 20a limit
81F 20a limit
GD06 20a limit

The factory controller is a 5S protocol which seems to be the "legal" programming. Speed is capped at 41kmh and limits to 9 of 21 adjustment functions, which is why I changed it. It's not the original controller anymore.

I'm aware, No 2. Protocol, KDS, and 5S are the main ones. I just need to know which display exists that doesn't cap output to 20a, then I can order or flash to a new Protocol, but seems everything outside of UKC1 has this limit for some reason.
Nah, the limits on the AliExpress GD06 were different. Speed went to 99 for example as opposed to the more limited Rattan one.

Nah, the limits on the AliExpress GD06 were different. Speed went to 99 for example as opposed to the more limited Rattan one.
There's no speed limit on the GD06, if the protocol installed is 5S it will be limited to 25-28mph, which seems to be the case for all 5S controllers. If it is KDS or No2 protocol it's completely unlocked.

Anyway this is not a speed limit question, this is an amperage limit question.
The company you bought the controller from what display options do they have ?
As I looked up your bike it would seem you could just pull off your display and put a display that works on the handlebars.
S800 LED and this one via Amazon, there are many more on Aliexpress but so far all limit to 20 amp. I'm not looking for a downgrade like that simple LED one though

Are you able to get the full output if you bypass the display and just use your phone for the speedo?
Yes, when I tested the motor on my stand using that controller the theoretical top speed was 44mph, but when attached to the display is tops out at 26mph and has significantly slower acceleration

I can order or flash to a new Protocol, but seems everything outside of UKC1 has this limit for some reason.
If you know how to change a display's protocol (and it's underlying menus, data format, etc) to match a controller, the ebiking world would very much like you to post a thread on the details of doing this, so that "any" display could then be used with "any" controller. (for at least those that can be made compatible).

Perhaps I have missed reading a thread about it, but at present, I'm unaware of any method to do this short of some of the opensource firmware that replaces both display and controller firmware, for those few displays and controllers this has been done for.

BTW, if you can (presmably reprogram a display to) change the protocol/etc., why not edit the limits it imposes while you're in there? I'm guessing I am misunderstanding the process you're using....

There's no speed limit on the GD06, if the protocol installed is 5S it will be limited to 25-28mph, which seems to be the case for all 5S controllers. If it is KDS or No2 protocol it's completely unlocked.

Anyway this is not a speed limit question, this is an amperage limit question.

S800 LED and this one via Amazon, there are many more on Aliexpress but so far all limit to 20 amp. I'm not looking for a downgrade like that simple LED one though
That's not true. I can plug different GD06 into the same controller, and see a different max value. The max is in the display, not the controller.

That's not true. I can plug different GD06 into the same controller, and see a different max value. The max is in the display, not the controller.
Then it's from the installed protocol, the displays are not different.
If you know how to change a display's protocol (and it's underlying menus, data format, etc) to match a controller, the ebiking world would very much like you to post a thread on the details of doing this, so that "any" display could then be used with "any" controller. (for at least those that can be made compatible).

Perhaps I have missed reading a thread about it, but at present, I'm unaware of any method to do this short of some of the opensource firmware that replaces both display and controller firmware, for those few displays and controllers this has been done for.

BTW, if you can (presmably reprogram a display to) change the protocol/etc., why not edit the limits it imposes while you're in there? I'm guessing I am misunderstanding the process you're using....
There are a few sellers on Aliexpress that sell he flashing tool(for 5S, KDS and No2. Protocol). I was thinking about buying it to test out to see if it's really as simple as it looked. I was on a Whatsapp call with a seller that sent me some junk and watched him use the tool to flash a display so he could replicate the issue, took him all of 5 minutes. That's when he realized the product he sent me was junk, well not junk but not flashed properly.

You still can't use "any" display. From what I can tell, KT displays are proprietary and contain different hardware, but a good portion of displays are all the same.

You are correct though, you would need to flash the display and the controller at the same time. It's too common that menu items will be left out or locked if not done at the same time. As evidence by my most recent slow boat order. Many sellers are flashing displays based off controller markings and not thoroughly testing them and when received are missing all sorts of menu functions and will go to hell and back to try to somehow blame you for the problem.

Yes, when I tested the motor on my stand using that controller the theoretical top speed was 44mph, but when attached to the display is tops out at 26mph and has significantly slower acceleration
If all you need from the display is a speedo, and the display is applying limits, then just run without one and use something separate (wheel magnet and sensor, smartphone, etc.) to monitor speed.

If all you need from the display is a speedo, and the display is applying limits, then just run without one and use something separate (wheel magnet and sensor, smartphone, etc.) to monitor speed.
If this was a bike I was going to keep I would consider it, but I would lose all the other functions that are nice to have. Motor shut off, cruise control, PAS functions and adjustments etc.

Then it's from the installed protocol, the displays are not different.

There are a few sellers on Aliexpress that sell he flashing tool(for 5S, KDS and No2. Protocol). I was thinking about buying it to test out to see if it's really as simple as it looked. I was on a Whatsapp call with a seller that sent me some junk and watched him use the tool to flash a display so he could replicate the issue, took him all of 5 minutes. That's when he realized the product he sent me was junk, well not junk but not flashed properly.

You still can't use "any" display. From what I can tell, KT displays are proprietary and contain different hardware, but a good portion of displays are all the same.

You are correct though, you would need to flash the display and the controller at the same time. It's too common that menu items will be left out or locked if not done at the same time. As evidence by my most recent slow boat order. Many sellers are flashing displays based off controller markings and not thoroughly testing them and when received are missing all sorts of menu functions and will go to hell and back to try to somehow blame you for the problem.
Not physically different, but different firmware has been flashed. I think you are mixing up the terms protocol and firmware. It's entirely possible to flash a different firmware, with different maximum values, that still communicates with the same protocol.

Not physically different, but different firmware has been flashed. I think you are mixing up the terms protocol and firmware. It's entirely possible to flash a different firmware, with different maximum values, that still communicates with the same protocol.
Ok you win, I don't care to argue about it. None of this is even remotely relevant to my question.

Last edited:
Ok you win, I don't care to argue about it. None of this is even remotely relevant to my question.
If we didn't know the max values allowable are flashed to the display, you'd have to put something like an Arduino in-between the display and controller, like others have done, and sniff what's sent between the two. Since we do know, I think your options are 1) specify when buying your display you need a different value flashed for the max amps setting, or 2) accomplish your goal a different way like via shunt modding the controller.

I have a 30a battery in a Yamee folding bike, I was able to squeeze a 30a controller in the frame, unfortunately the matching GD06 display has a max current of 20a to the controller. Seems pretty much all the displays I found top out at 20a.

Is there anything out there that can go higher? Not really concerned with what type as long as there's a speedo
This one by Rattan goes up to 31a

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_175732653.jpg
    IMG_20240410_175732653.jpg
    883.4 KB · Views: 3
Back